• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lava,life is too short to be so serious

Well it is.
I'm afraid these were shot awhile back, in JPG, before I started RAW, so they are as they were shot. I'm looking for subjects that are a little out of the norm. These are a bit abstract, yet definable as objects. Not exactly an easy thing to shoot, low light, movement.

DSC_0346.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

Just thought I'd leave you something to look at. Comment if you wish, or not.

Ruben Alfu

Hi Scott,

These are a bit abstract, yet definable as objects.

I like the idea, the play of colors and fluid forms. I think this kind of photos should be decisive in their intention. "Lava" is a strong concept that could be exploited very well in an abstract form. Why is it important in this series to define the objects?

Regards,

Ruben

Why is it important in this series to define the objects?

Regards,

Ruben[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, In the end it isn't.
It is for me, as a begining photographer. It is in this forum, as most of what we see is representational. Maybe it's my own insecurity, making me define it as such. I myself like them, they are fluid and colorful. I think others may not like them for various reasons. The amount of dark is sort of overwhelming for one. They have no 'space'.
They just are not a 'Normal' or 'Regular' photograph. Or maybe I flatter myself in that thought. I have no need to define the objects,(to me they are forms,it's a painting thing) Sometimes I think others might, maybe I'm not giving others enough credit. I come from a background of abstract painting where anything goes, I think of photography not the same. Maybe I'm wrong to think that.

And that white lamp was sooo blown out most of the time. I couldn't help it. It was blown out white lamp or under developed red lamp.
AND, I've always liked things that ride the line between real and unreal.

Sigh,
Let em restate that, I think I did it wrong.
I am trying to master the art of photography. Sometimes I'm not sure what I'm doing or where Im going.
Abstraction in painting is accepted.
Abstraction in photography not so much, and in amateur photographers maybe less. I want to know my camera.
So sometimes, I do things that I think others will not like or accept.
I'm not to sure about this set of pictures.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Scott,

One of the great things about OPF is that we are concerned, not that you make pictures the way we like, rather that you make the pictures that evoke in you what you hope for in planning the picture in the first place. Of course, it helps if your picture move us too, but first, you are the most important client for your own work.

I'm happy to see your work and I take a very long view of things. Madonna couldn't reliably sing in key and her voice was untrained and has very limited range. However, she gave 100% effort and devotion to making the best use of the limited range she has. Look how successful she is and her impact on culture around the world.

I'd continue to do the photography that interests you. A lot of work by OPFrs is indeed abstract, but they may not show it often. Still, I recommend everyone do a still life drawing class and learn how to light and photograph people, cars, buildings, stuff in the kitchen, etc, just to learn the workings of the camera, making it second nature.

So in addition to abstract, I'd still do some ordinary subjects!

Asher

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

And that white lamp was sooo blown out most of the time. I couldn't help it. It was blown out white lamp or under developed red lamp.

Yes, the camera can't do anything else when there is a very bright and very dark object. Next time, put the white lamp on a dimmer (but it will look redder).

I am saying this, to show that the solution does not always lie in the camera. And also because the two lamps are a great idea. They are necessary to make the picture work. I have seen pictures of one lava lamp and it is a lot less dynamic. Using two as you did (not just side by side) was the solution to that problem, but it caused the next one.

Jean Henderson

Scott,

May I suggest you shoot something every day that is a "regular" subject in order to learn your camera. Restrict yourself to one lens for a week at a time; restrict yourself to one subject for a week from different perspectives, angles, and lenses (or zoom lengths) for the next week; restrict yourself to subjects of one color for the third week, etc. Then do some abstracts in the same way on the weekends. Remember that art is made within the confines of limits.

Jean

Jean, Might I say thank you. You're the only person to suggest I should get over myself and just shoot and not be a pompous jackass. No one else would. THANK YOU SIR!
Actually I'd Like to thank Asher for that as well.

I'm a jack ass, pure and simple.

Asher Kelman

Jean, Might I say thank you. You're the only person to suggest I should get over myself and just shoot and not be a pompous jackass. No one else would. THANK YOU SIR!
Actually I'd Like to thank Asher for that as well.

I'm a jack ass, pure and simple.

Scott,

So are most of us at some time or another. Don't let it get to you! The idea is that we can rise above our limitations and instincts. Everyone who tries succeeds.

If, however, one wallows in misery, one will always fail. That's the choice we each have to make for ourselves. Here in OPF, if anyone does decide to reach out to better his/her work, we're supportive .... but don't give blind praise.

We know who we are and our own limitations.

Asher

Anna Lee

Scott,

May I suggest you shoot something every day that is a "regular" subject in order to learn your camera. Restrict yourself to one lens for a week at a time; restrict yourself to one subject for a week from different perspectives, angles, and lenses (or zoom lengths) for the next week; restrict yourself to subjects of one color for the third week, etc. Then do some abstracts in the same way on the weekends. Remember that art is made within the confines of limits.

Jean

Scott,

So are most of us at some time or another. Don't let it get to you! The idea is that we can rise above our limitations and instincts. Everyone who tries succeeds.

If, however, one wallows in misery, one will always fail. That's the choice we each have to make for ourselves. Here in OPF, if anyone does decide to reach out to better his/her work, we're supportive .... but don't give blind praise.

We know who we are and our own limitations.

Asher

That's very good idea on how to learn our own camera and improve our photography skills. And i even learn something valued for myself from Asher's saying.

It's a very special work and seems strict for us, but incontestably, it's very instructive and interesting. Thanks, Scott.

Jean Henderson

Whoa, Scott -- you aren't pompous at all here! Besides, I was just passing on some things that have been suggested to me along the way. Especially since I haven't been here for a bit, I felt REALLY badly to see how hard you took my comments. My intention certainly was only to help. (Thanks, Asher, for stepping in during my absence.)

BTW, je m'appelle Jeanne en Francais!

Jean

All I wanted to say was that things shouldn't be so serious.
Art shouldn't be so THIS IS WHAT I MEAN serious. Sometimes just, hey look at that, that is nice. I like that. And Sometimes that is enough. Sometimes I think as visual artists things get a little bound up. tied in knots. Meaning some times WHAT THINGS MEAN gets in front of purely just WOW that is beautifull. I have sort of an issue with putting a Theme, or a Meaning Before the Appreciation of simply What It iS. I prefer to just appreciate things for what they are. Listening inside is more important than Projecting a meaning. I have no need to attach a meaning to blobs of lava.

Asher Kelman

All I wanted to say was that things shouldn't be so serious.
Art shouldn't be so THIS IS WHAT I MEAN serious. Sometimes just, hey look at that, that is nice. I like that. And Sometimes that is enough. Sometimes I think as visual artists things get a little bound up. tied in knots. Meaning some times WHAT THINGS MEAN gets in front of purely just WOW that is beautifull. I have sort of an issue with putting a Theme, or a Meaning Before the Appreciation of simply What It iS. I prefer to just appreciate things for what they are. Listening inside is more important than Projecting a meaning. I have no need to attach a meaning to blobs of lava.

Scott,

You are quite right, old chap! Of course, art does not have to have either meaning or a message. It can just be beautiful or not even that, a space to think or not think, sometimes just to chill! :)

Asher

Jean Henderson

Hi Scott,

Not only are you quite right, but I think you will get a lot out of an approach to photography called "miksang". Just Google it to get plenty of info, including the info on a book that was published in April. ENJOY! Photography is supposed to be FUN!!

Jean

Charlotte Thompson

Dude

handshake! I agree "art should not be so serious- You should always explore-explore and explore and never stop-
I am one maybe you should check out here-
now I am posting in photography as art
I started out with portrait candids and I still love them
my art background has always been contemporary art
I explore everything and study- finally found another niche-

Charlotte-

btw most all mean well in OPF- nice bunch of folks you can really learn from- take what you want and leave the rest