• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wet Mounting directly on scanner bed of Epson V700

Nick Masson

Hello!
I was wondering if anybody had any experience wet mounting negatives directly on the bed of a V700 scanner. I see no reason to use the supplemental wet-mounting glass plate unless the scanner has a hard time focussing on a negative directly on the scanner bed.

If anybody has a recommendation on good sources for mylar overlays (top side of wet mounted negatives), I would be keen to know where to buy some (pre-cut, wet-mounting specific mylar seems excessively expensive for what it is).

Thanks,
-Nick

Hello!
I was wondering if anybody had any experience wet mounting negatives directly on the bed of a V700 scanner. I see no reason to use the supplemental wet-mounting glass plate unless the scanner has a hard time focussing on a negative directly on the scanner bed.

Hi Nick,

The plane of optimal focus for translucent material is slightly above the glass platen. The supplied film holders also have spacers that can be exchanged for optimizing the focus. Also be aware that the bottom of the various filmholders have some patches and openings to allow for exposure calibration.

A better solution is offered by companies like betterscanning.com, although limited to approx. 5x7in maximum film size.

Cheers,
Bart

Nick Masson

Thanks for the reply!

I have looked at the betterscanning.com mounting setup, and i'm a little skeptical that inverted mounting is really advantageous. The image doesn't have to traverse the glass with inverted mounting, but it has to go through the mylar instead. Is the mylar really optically superior to glass? I do like the idea of varying height to find the optimal focus altitude; but I would assume that epson's standard plate is spec'ed to the right height, and there must be some room for error in height (depth of field of the fixed-focus lens).

Thanks!
-NICK

Nick Masson

I'll post some comments if I decide to go that way. I'm just now starting to work with med-format, and haven't got a scanner yet...
Cheers,
-NICK