• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Railroad Bridge

Shot this one today,

Any thoughts on how to improve this?

IMG_0040.jpg

Railroad Bridge By Cody White​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Shot this one today,

IMG_0040.jpg

I love bridge pictures and this is unusual. The rails seem to be in use but the bridge has been allowed to rust. I thought they had to be painted every year! That could give a few guys a nice job.

The spots, BTw, are a little bit of a distraction.

Asher

P.S. You could easily fix the dust spots on your sensor. I guess you were using an f stop of about 16 or so to be able to see them. I hardly every use my lenses closed down. Doubtless I have the same dust bunnies on my sensors. I only clean once a year!

Jerome Marot

I think that the image would be improved by cropping the middle. Here you have two subjects: the tracks and the bridge and I find the bridge more interesting.

I love bridge pictures and this is unusual. The rails seem to be in use but the bridge has been allowed to rust. I thought they had to be painted every year! That could give a few guys a nice job.

The spots, BTw, are a little bit of a distraction.

Asher

P.S. You could easily fix the dust spots on your sensor. I guess you were using an f stop of about 16 or so to be able to see them. I hardly every use my lenses closed down. Doubtless I have the same dust bunnies on my sensors. I only clean once a year!
I think I got 99% of the dust bunnies taken care of.
And I sent it to you.

I think that the image would be improved by cropping the middle. Here you have two subjects: the tracks and the bridge and I find the bridge more interesting.
If you feel like playing with it, I have it here:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/T2dlaklsUnJRWUo4SjhUQw

fahim mohammed

Cody, I have been rightfully taken to task for over sharpened images. But that is me. This to me is

over sharpened. But that could be you!

I would crop the image right down the middle vertically. Why? I like contrasts.

Thanks for sharpening.

Fahim,
I didn't sharpen this at all.
-----

I tied for third place at my camera club meeting tonight with this photo.

fahim mohammed

In that case Cody, my apologies. I need to get me some lenses ( eyes or both )!!

Congratulations for this being a winner. It is.

Regards.

You could edit, crop the photo an infinite number of ways. Its pretty good as is. I think the only way to improve may be to re-shoot. I would like to see the symmetry dead on with a lower perspective. A T/S lens would be lovely right here. Then just wait for the perfect light and sky.

Is this a place where you can visit on a regular occasion? If it is, your lucky indeed.

Jerome Marot

On second thoughts and after having slept over the picture: discard this suggestion. Your version is more interesting.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cody,

I hate to lose the approach - I liked your original scope. The little cockeyed piece at the beginning of the diamond plate catwalk is a nice touch.

It is interesting that the guard rails are angle iron, not rail (sometimes slightly lighter weight) as is customary. It's a little - agricultural.

Where is this?

It would be nice to also see this in side elevation so we could see the lift span. (Yes, I grew up in Cleveland.)

Best regards,

Doug

Thank You all for the comments and suggestions.

Doug, this was taken in Portland, Oregon

Here is the bridge from Google maps.
RailroadbridgefromGoogle.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cody,

Shot this one today,

IMG_0040.jpg

I had a go at it and came up with this version.

img0040_cw_edit_cu.jpg

Railroad Bridge By Cody White - edit by CU​

And in BW:
img0040_cw_edit_cu_bw.jpg

Hi, Cody,

Thanks.

I didn't even know Google Maps would do that! Shows how much attention I pay to these things. (I do it on Google Earth.)

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

I think by next year or the following we will be able to clearly see subject down to 17 inches across. I read somewhere about the government giving a grant to the developers of these satellites to get in even closer!!

Bob Rogers

If I had been there, I probably would have shot from the left track. I don't know if it would make a better or worse photo, but that's probably what I would have done. And probably a bit lower and a bit closer.

I like photographing bridges too.

Hi Cody,

I had a go at it and came up with this version.

img0040_cw_edit_cu.jpg

And in BW:
img0040_cw_edit_cu_bw.jpg

Cem,
Thank you.
I do like the b&w version of this
what did you do to the color one?

If I had been there, I probably would have shot from the left track. I don't know if it would make a better or worse photo, but that's probably what I would have done. And probably a bit lower and a bit closer.

I like photographing bridges too.
Bob,
I did both left and right side of tracks and they didn't look as good.
Left Side
IMG_0039.jpg
Right Side
IMG_0041.jpg

Jean Henderson

Hi Cody,

I like bridges, too. Nice job!!

As for your shots from the left and right sides, I didn't envision that result from Bob's suggestion. What I did see was -- taking left as an example -- getting down All the way down to the track, with the track in the lower left hand side of the frame in the same way as your first image has it.

IS it a bridge you can return to?

Jean

Hi Cody,

I am a newbie here, so gotta be careful what I say...

Your image on my screen is relatively washed-out. We are talking CM here, as I downloaded your raw image and using a Rebel calibration, saw a far more colourful version of your photo. Initially, I didn't notice, I was just seeing what cutting and touching the clouds would do, it was only when I came to compare with your original that I realised how much difference there was. I use ProPhoto RGB until it comes to producing a final image when I dropped it into AdobeRGB.

Previous poster was right, you have loads of dust, but I don't worry much about dust as I use Lightroom and de-spotting is so easy.

I have done no fiddling with changing colours, only croppiing a bit of sky and tyring to tone down the dark cloud - not sure that it works. Anyway, I get this:

IMG_0040-1.jpg

Denbigh,

I know nothing about Lightroom, however if I recall correctly your Rebel Calibration is for Lightroom color correction and has nothing to do with the monitor profile.

Video – Camera Profiles for Lightroom
By Matt Kloskowski // Lightroom Videos
This one has been causing quite a bit of buzz. When Adobe released Lightroom 2 (and the accompanying 4.5 update to Camera Raw) they released these camera profiles on the Adobe Labs website. In a nutshell, these profiles match the camera manufacturers color appearance of your photos. So if you’ve ever opened your photo in Nikon’s or Canon’s software and been happier with the way it looked there vs. Lightroom, then you’ll love these things
Link for quote:
http://lightroomkillertips.com/2008/video-camera-profiles-for-lightroom/

I just profiled my monitor with ColorMunki. See link below.
ColorMunki Display
http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=1513&catid=149&action=overview

So I suggest that you profile your monitor to get a accurate color and brightness

I profiled my display in a 0 lux room light them turned around and re-calibrated my monitor for room light at 34 lux, I also saved both profiles so I can switch them back and forth.

Hi Cody,

Sorry I trod on your toes. Clearly my comments were not received in the way I put them. I realised afterwards that the toning of your photo could well have been just the way you wanted it. It was you who asked for the critique and you can ignore responses without being snappy.

The calibration, as you say, is nothing to do with monitor profile, it is giving meaning to the otherwise meaningless figures output by the camera. If the source has no profile (RAW) then a calibration, indicating what the digital figures mean, has to be applied. You will, of course, be using such a calibration in your raw processing, I just mentioned that the colours I was seeing were appropriate to the Rebel calibration and not some other default. The Rebel calibration I was using was for sunny/cloudy and was done using the ColorChecker passport, but in France so the sun may be a little different.

Yes, I do profile my monitor and know it is accurate, but I don't quite see the relevance in this context. Did you compare my posted version derived directly from your raw file with your original posting to see what I was talking about - remember, I had overlooked the possibility that you had deliberately changed the colours. In that light you will realise the point I was making, simply a question of colour.

I think it is a great photo, BTW, the only thing I thought could possibly improve it (apart from the colour) was diminishing the rather heavy cloud background. I find it is only when I get home that I realise things like that, and it is no good my wife asking me why I didn't wait till the cloud passed !

In passing, the calibration I refer to in LR (or Camera Raw) is to give meaning to the digital numbers coming from the image source, just as one calibrates a scanner, not some arbitrary correction. I tried using some fairly complicated stuff to get it right when I started digital, but now, with the ColorChecker, it just means a couple of clicks and hey presto...!

I wish we had had such tricks available with colour film when one just had to accept the uncalibrated colour Fuji, Kodak and Agfa produced, each with their own interpretation of light.