• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Happy new year!!!!!

So these are some of the first pics of the new year.

6611409097_aeb5839ef0_z.jpg

6611408591_c8d198f62e_z.jpg

6611408731_ae14af6c0c_z.jpg

6611408183_d6ed57bc98_z.jpg

Jerome Marot

Great picts. I especially like the tattoo, this must have been painful.

Is the news that you got studio strobes?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jake,

Really nice work. Each very different.

In "Up in Smoke" (to shamelessly borrow a movie title), is there some message to the fact that the bar code label is still on the bill of the cap? (In movies, I used to obsess over a prop department inventory label on the bottom of a telephone set.)

On the other hand, when I was once with a little electromechanical R&D company, with many exotic precision tools, many of us used to laugh over the fact that common tools (hammers, hacksaws, C-clamps, etc.) bought at the nearby hardware store by the founder (a brilliant engineer and inventor) when he started the operation still had the price tags on them. One of the techs made a simulated hardware store price tag for our $25,000.00 milling machine.

And of course there are all the ten-year-old cars with the "price sticker" still in one of the back windows.

Happy New Year.

Best regard,

Doug

Great picts. I especially like the tattoo, this must have been painful.

Is the news that you got studio strobes?

I sure wish I could get some studio strobes.

This was done in my small, one car garage. I used two sb600s off camera fired with commander mode in the D90. One camera left in front of subjects at maybe 20 degrees(or less) and above about 45 degrees, shooting through an umbrella.

The second sb600 was camera right, just behind the subjects at 20 degrees(or less) at about chest height(only one light stand right now so an old tripod had to do!) shooting through the diffusion panel of my 5 in 1 reflector.

My background was equally as "put together" as the rest. I had about 30ft x 4ft of some black fabric that we used to make the bottom of my sons sandbox. I think it is some kind of gardening fabric you lay down before wood chips or rocks.

These were all shot with a D90 with the good old nikkor 50mm f1.8 af-d.

Here is a diagram of the setup. But with a black background.

6614246805_635be94e10_o.png

Hi, Jake,

Really nice work. Each very different.

In "Up in Smoke" (to shamelessly borrow a movie title), is there some message to the fact that the bar code label is still on the bill of the cap? (In movies, I used to obsess over a prop department inventory label on the bottom of a telephone set.)

On the other hand, when I was once with a little electromechanical R&D company, with many exotic precision tools, many of us used to laugh over the fact that common tools (hammers, hacksaws, C-clamps, etc.) bought at the nearby hardware store by the founder (a brilliant engineer and inventor) when he started the operation still had the price tags on them. One of the techs made a simulated hardware store price tag for our $25,000.00 milling machine.

And of course there are all the ten-year-old cars with the "price sticker" still in one of the back windows.

Happy New Year.

Best regard,

Doug

I believe the barcode label is just an urban trend. Similar to leaving the 59/fifty label on that brands bill too. I'm not a big hat guy, I've always wondered the reasoning behind leaving tags on new hats as well.
Not my image below. Just showing the 59/fifty label.
Flat_Fitty_Flat_Brim_Caps.jpg

Jerome Marot

Pretty nice light nevertheless. For the fill light, you could simply use the reflector as a reflector instead of using it as a diffusor. This would save a flash and you could use the second flash as fill.

Pretty nice light nevertheless. For the fill light, you could simply use the reflector as a reflector instead of using it as a diffusor. This would save a flash and you could use the second flash as fill.

I thought about that, I just felt more comfortable with the control of two flashes. Honestly I would have been fiddling with the reflector the whole time, and the New Years partying didn't help.

Philosophy students, no. Although they could speak on their philosophy in life endlessly, especially SJ(#3). Alex(#4) is a drafting/architect engineer and doesn't drink to often, hence his expression.

In fact, they are all my wife's 1st cousins. The young men in #1&2 and #4 are brothers. SJ(#3) is a father of fraternal twin boys and most recently, after numerous sad pregnencies, a new baby girl. I'm quite sure you've seen them all in other past posts.

Alex and Savan
5313697987_85a8816fc8_z.jpg

Nik and Savan, in Don't sleep uncle!
5430385468_0c53df9765_z.jpg

Not too many of SJ, the liquer must have loosened him up, but many of his children.
Kody
5952640599_f77abe95cb_z.jpg

Kyndal
5953208424_b110726ed8_z.jpg

All of them are just beautiful-
priceless- wonderful work!

Charlotte-

Thank you, I have a lifetime of learning ahead.

My new years resolution is to change how I look at photography. Right now I'm an on the fly, try to see how things work, mess around with settings type of person.

This summer I will be striving to plan out my exposures before hand, on paper. Truly put an effort into understanding lighting, lighting ratios, and photographic lighting in general. Make a pre-shutter effort to sketchout compositions that I would like to capture.

This is the year I am going to pick up some photography related books and start reading!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jake,

You original picture has such a richness because of the color, that giving it up is questionable. Here it's color that makes the picture so alive as their is little 3D effect in the low contrast tattoo pattern.

6611408591_c8d198f62e_z.jpg

I gave another go in a black and white version of the tattoo shot.

6897642906_a69db256b1_b.jpg

Jake,

All your pictures are wonderful, Frankly, content is important to me, although structure as our guest photographers point out can be key in many pictures. Bart, however, pointed out such an important treasure of a book. I agree, it's the very first book to get and read and re-read regularly.

Photography like this is already superb, interesting and impressive. you can be proud.

Your lighting setup is nice. I didn't see any reflector in the front or a small ring light on the camera. for this pictures, the tattoo is detail that's so interesting. So drama can be at the sides but enough light to define the tattoo. Of course, if you intend it to be dark in the center in this particular picture, then ignore my fussiness :)

6614246805_635be94e10_o.png

I appreciate very much you adding the lighting diagram. So helpful.