• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Emergency brake

Cem_Usakligil

f48725.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerome Marot

I haven't seen escalators made of wood for a long time...

The idea is good, but I would have preferred the sign to be a bit further away from the frame bottom.

Jerome Marot

This doesn't mean that I wouldn't appreciate your comments should they be forthcoming. :)

Well, then...

The slight problem with this picture is that because you need to be on the right hand stairs, the perspective is unsymmetrical. This is especially disturbing at the end of the steps where the beam on the ceiling is at an angle. It is noticeable because the construction of the picture leads the eye towards that zone. It gives the impression that the picture is tilted, while it is not: the bottom step on the right is straight with the frame.

The only ways to escape this problem would be
-to change the perspective by moving the position of the camera, but then either you don't put the sign at the same place where it belongs or put yourself at the center and use a shift lens (or crop), and then the right stairs will appear strange because their left and right sides won't be symmetrical.
-to skew the top part of the picture with photoshop, but that is hard work
-to erase the beams, but that is equally hard
-to move the sign to the left stairs and place yourself at the center.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

I didn't realize that you were in the picture at the top of the escalator. So how did you organize the shot?

Asher

Asher Kelman

But I took the picture and I'm not in it myself?! What/why do you say that I was in it?

Why did I think that?

Well, I just awoke from anesthesia, LOL and read Jerome's remarks:

-to change the perspective by moving the position of the camera, but then either you don't put the sign at the same place where it belongs or put yourself at the centerand use a shift lens (or crop), and then the right stairs will appear strange because their left and right sides won't be symmetrical.

Then I looked at the top of the stairs and thought, hmm, "He had a remote in his hand and that place must have been opened especially for him!" I wondered whether the Canon remote would work from such a great distance!!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Well, then...

The slight problem with this picture is that because you need to be on the right hand stairs, the perspective is unsymmetrical. This is especially disturbing at the end of the steps where the beam on the ceiling is at an angle. It is noticeable because the construction of the picture leads the eye towards that zone. It gives the impression that the picture is tilted, while it is not: the bottom step on the right is straight with the frame.

-to change the perspective by moving the position of the camera, but then either you don't put the sign at the same place where it belongs or put yourself at the center and use a shift lens (or crop), and then the right stairs will appear strange because their left and right sides won't be symmetrical.
Jerome I really appreciate you taking your time with this, thanks a lot.

I will take your advice with me when/if I go for a reshoot. I have a 24mm t/s lens which might come in handy. I can do the changes in PS too, perhaps I will do a rough change to see how it looks like.

Cem_Usakligil

Why did I think that?

Well, I just awoke from anesthesia, LOL and read Jerome's remarks:

Then I looked at the top of the stairs and thought, hmm, "He had a remote in his hand and that place must have been opened especially for him!" I wondered whether the Canon remote would work from such a great distance!!

Asher
This is simply hilarious :). You are still suffering from jet lag if you ask me.

edit: anaesthesia as in surgery? If so, I hope that all went well and that it wasn't serious and that you will recover soon. All the best.

Cem_Usakligil

Cem - this is very close to having me think I am looking down. when you pull the strip lights out of the image - i feel like I am falling - the stop sign stops it !

it's disconcerting - which i like !

cheers
I have that with escalators, never know if I'm going up or down. :)

Cem_Usakligil

Fwiw, I've had a specific reason for creating the composition in this manner, despite my own comment that I might do a reshoot later. it seems that I haven't been successful in communicating that to the audience. But it was a worthy try nevertheless. :)

Bob Latham

It is indeed a lovely old example and shows that wood still has its place. As far as the Nood Stop goes....I conclude that I'd rather be ascending than descending when someone chooses to activate it.

I was once waiting to board a flight at Frankfurt Airport and generally taking in the scene. The upper torso of a rather rotund woman was visible gliding along above the handrail of a "horizontal escalator" and approaching the end whilst facing aft and her children. The torso vanished from view as her feet stopped at the end of the moving mat and her ample upper half failed to decelerate putting her C of G outside its design limits.
Chaos reigned for what seemed like an age (although maybe only 30 seconds in reality) as the moving walkway continued to disgorge its human cargo on top of her with only the more observant and athletic managing to leap over the handrail to safety.
Once the pile of bodies had been gradually sorted, organised and sent on its way, the prostrate victim came in to view emitting the kind of deep guttural laugh that anyone from a western society could never hope to emulate and especially in such circumstances.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

It is indeed a lovely old example and shows that wood still has its place. As far as the Nood Stop goes....I conclude that I'd rather be ascending than descending when someone chooses to activate it.

I was once waiting to board a flight at Frankfurt Airport and generally taking in the scene. The upper torso of a rather rotund African woman was visible gliding along above the handrail of a "horizontal escalator" and approaching the end whilst facing aft and her children. The torso vanished from view as her feet stopped at the end of the moving mat and her ample upper half failed to decelerate putting her C of G outside its design limits.
Chaos reigned for what seemed like an age (although maybe only 30 seconds in reality) as the moving walkway continued to disgorge its human cargo on top of her with only the more observant and athletic managing to leap over the handrail to safety.
Once the pile of bodies had been gradually sorted, organised and sent on its way, the prostrate victim came in to view emitting the kind of deep guttural laugh that anyone from a western society could never hope to emulate and especially in such circumstances.

Bob

Bob,

Not only does your short movie not require film, but it does not require a monitor either. Fabulous and vivid, nonetheless.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

I assume that nood is the Dutch cognate of the German not ("emergency"). As a telecom guy, I first learned that in notruf ("emergency call").

The universality of "stop" is interesting.

During the big uprising of linguistic sensitivity in Quebec, the authorities were vexed by whether the proper French equivalent of "stop" for use on traffic signs was arrêtez (the second person plural imperative form of the verb "to stop") or arrêt (the noun meaning a place to halt).

Of course in Paris (and most other places around the world), the signs say "stop".

In Russia, it is СТОП (S-T-O-P in Cyrillic transliteration).

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Doug,
Hi, Cem,

I assume that nood is the Dutch cognate of the German not ("emergency"). As a telecom guy, I first learned that in notruf ("emergency call").

The universality of "stop" is interesting.

During the big uprising of linguistic sensitivity in Quebec, the authorities were vexed by whether the proper French equivalent of "stop" for use on traffic signs was arrêtez (the second person plural imperative form of the verb "to stop") or arrêt (the noun meaning a place to halt).

Of course in Paris (and most other places around the world), the signs say "stop".

In Russia, it is СТОП (S-T-O-P in Cyrillic transliteration).

Best regards,

Doug
Indeed. Nood translates into emergency, need, distress, etc. What is worth pointing out is that this is the Dutch used by the Flemish in Belgium which differs slightly from the Dutch used in the Netherlands.

fahim mohammed

In my student days in Britain, there were a lot of Tube station escalators with wood along the center divide like in Cem's wonderful photograph.

The walls on either side used to be lined with what some here might suggest required ' NSFW ' before stepping on the escalator.

Not oak paneled Van Gogh or Rembrandt replicas. But good, full, luscious, heavenly chests wrapped in the flimsiest of coverings. Constable would not hold a candle to these..or maybe he would or did during his journeys through the beautiful landscape.

One day I noticed teams of men everywhere scrapping away at these poster ads all over London. The
frenzy lasted quite sometime. With real gusto they went after them. When it was all over, London was purified. Out damn spot! were the cries resounding throughout London in those days. Not McDuff ( no association to the ' super size ' outfit in this context. Mention it here since someone said WiKi was ' Dark '. I wish it becomes ' Brown ' again ).

During my rides ( on the underground ) I would guess at the chest measurements of these posters , to pass the time mind you; which often proved embarrassing to some of my less endowed but very studious friends.

I do miss old London. Of course, I lived in ' West ' London at that time. SW1., to be precise.

Regards.

Helene Anderson

Western in relation to where?

Bob Latham; said:
I could tell you Cem....but then I'd have to shoot you

The Greenwich Meridian, that line thingy that goes through SE10. There, no need for killing now !

fahim mohammed; said:
In my student days in Britain, there were a lot of Tube station escalators with wood

All started to go after the fire at Kings Cross.

Do miss proper tube trains though, the 1938 stock.