• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

fastpitch softball

Jeff Mims

My daughter plays catcher on the highschool team...and this is really what got me started shooting sports this year. I had a lot of fun, became the "unoffical" team photographer. They let me in the dugout, field access..got some shots published in the local paper. I had a lot of fun.

All with 30D, 70-200 f/2.8 -

66488076.jpg

66832186.jpg

67642692.jpg

This last one, was of the Senior pitcher rallying the team, down 2-1 in last inning of Northern Division State championship game. After this, they held the other team, and went on to win the game.

67397791.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jeff,

All the pictures show things happening, the last however, really gets to the idea of a team. Did you crop that? Any more of that last group?

The dynamics are incredible. I really love that each girls contribution to the image. I wish there might be a little more of the girl on the left!

Proud father. Proud daughter!

Asher

Jeff Mims

Asher,
Thanks for the comments. RE: last image, I was shooting at 200mm of a 70-200, so that's the way the crop turned out. At first I didn't care for the backlighting...but like the intensity of the moment.
I learned one thing from shooting softball vs football. It's a LOT easier to shoot sports in the daytime.

Jim Kenny

Jeff - number 1 seems a bit dark - but the color of the ball is great ... thing I enjoy about pics is how I see things that I do not see when its live ... like in shot number three .. the pitcher is off the ground ... I must say watching it live I never considered the pitcher was leaving the ground .. but there it is !

The girls hair in the backlit shot really stands out ... had to laugh when I read your last comment ..
I learned one thing from shooting softball vs football. It's a LOT easier to shoot sports in the daytime.

jim

Nill Toulme

Very nice stuff Jeff. You mentioned in the football thread that you're shooting jpg; your last shot here is a good example of where shooting RAW could really pay off in terms of giving you more room to salvage tough shots.

Here's a start on a RAW workflow for sports shooters.

Whoops, never mind, I see you already found it. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net