• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More Moon Fun

Adrian Wareham

The moon was nice and bright tonight.

MoonRecentCloseup.jpg

Jupiter, three of four Galilean moons, and a jumbo-jet's lights. Closer examination will reveal the motion of the Earth and the residual motion due to the shake in the tripod from clicking the shutter. Note that the shake goes away slowly, and the lines are straight, yet the Earth's motion is clearly visible in Jupiter, its moons, and the stars.

AirplaneJupiter.jpg

-Adrian

Doug Kerr

Hi, Adrian,

Jupiter, three of four Galilean moons, and a jumbo-jet's lights. Closer examination will reveal the motion of the Earth and the residual motion due to the shake in the tripod from clicking the shutter. Note that the shake goes away slowly, and the lines are straight, yet the Earth's motion is clearly visible in Jupiter, its moons, and the stars.

AirplaneJupiter.jpg
What a wonderful work, on many fronts.

The decaying shake is itself a lovely thing to see this way, a record of a "scientific" phenomenon that is lovely art in its own right.

We are indeed fortunate that you did not choose to invoke mirror lockup!

Best regards,

Doug

Adrian Wareham

Hi, Adrian,

What a wonderful work, on many fronts.

The decaying shake is itself a lovely thing to see this way, a record of a "scientific" phenomenon that is lovely art in its own right.

We are indeed fortunate that you did not choose to invoke mirror lockup!

Best regards,

Doug

I didn't have time anyway. I was just taking another picture when I saw the jet headed straight into Jupiter's position in the sky. Barely even got it in time!

Anyway, here's another lovely picture of the moon, the sign from a local park, the stars, and even clouds, in the same photo with no stitching, or HDR.

HuldaCrooksParkSmall.jpg

-Adrian

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

AirplaneJupiter.jpg

-Adrian

Adrian,

I'm so impressed. Frankly, I didn't realize that one could so readily resolve the moons of Jupitor so easily! As doug points out, there's beauty in this science. It would be nice to repeat such shots with a cable or IR release to see what vibrations there are then. Perhaps this might also be mirror shake or was the mirror locked up?

Asher

Adrian Wareham

It was mostly from my hands as I was in a rush, and partly from the opening of the shutter (which creates SOME movement on my really flimsy tripod) I have a better picture of Jupiter with all four Galilean moons visible. The lens was a 75-300mm Tamron economy lens. It's maybe $150.

175613_153646868023547_100001347032605_269254_2169650_o.jpg

-Adrian