• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lines and Textures

I like them both, Michael. The first, Curved Line of Straight Elements, is my favorite. There are at least several lines there: that formed by the posts (and their shadows), the wires, the white break in the snow, and the undulating contours of the terrain. Everything is working beautifully here. Not sure, but there might be a dust spot or two in the snow.

Michael Nagel

Tom - thanks and thanks for pointing out the dust - I will have to fix this.

Asher - thanks, you have a vivid imagination, I was more aiming for the minimalism :)

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom - thanks and thanks for pointing out the dust - I will have to fix this.

Asher - thanks, you have a vivid imagination, I was more aiming for the minimalism :)

Best regards,
Michael

In minimalistic work, the artist is allowing the viewer to experience a muse beaded on what they bring to the art far more than is usual with statement based art, such as the materialization of a battle, lovers or even a still life of a bowl of fruit. So the artist, it seems to me, is making a universe in which we can exercise our own imagination and options with less restraint and with safety.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Hi Michael.

This is wonderful and can illustrate my way of thinking about photography.

There are no labels that I attach. I do not know,, neither really want to know, what genre such an image
would fall under.

For me the only thing that matters is ' do I find it good; does it do something for me '? In this instance it is excellent.

Why? Maybe my brain reacts that way. Good enough for me!!

Well done.

p.s Others might consider such thinking as an inability to express why something appeals to me, without
being able to express it in words.
They shall be absolutely correct.

Michael Nagel

Hi Asher - yes I see what you are pointing at. Imagination is the key...

Hello Fahim - Thanks! It seems we are not so far from each other in our approaches to photography, despite the difference in the choice of subjets. I am an intuitive shooter. I know some of the rules (I even read some of Andreas Feininger's and Ansel Adam's books) , but I prefer to stick to the 'feel' rather than to a compostition following rules to the letter. And yes - words are not always needed...

Greg - thank you!

Best regards,
Michael

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi Michael.
Is that snow? Bloody hell! You're a brave man taking a walk in that. I live in the tropics so its always a surprise to find people living in places where the temp gets below 30 deg.
Wouldn't the world be a nicer place to look at if our eyes had a frame and we saw the world in such isolation? An uncluttered view and beautifully placed fence would certainly add to a good walk. I guess we can be grateful for people like you who can do that for us.
Thanks for the view.
But do take care. Don't they have crevasses and stuff you can fall into if you don't watch were you go?
Oh, I almost forgot. Don't forget its still about the place and the experience. Lines and textures have to start somewhere. So does our imagination.

Michael Nagel

Tim,

yes, this is snow. I do not recall the temperature exactly, but it was in the -5°C to -10°C ballpark. Just a matter of good clothes.

The reduced frame should not prevent us from seeing more, but it helps to focus on particular things. It is of course important not to lose the context. Here is some context of the same day:

This was still far too low for a glacier and crevasses are not to be feared ;)

Hope the above views will help your imagination.

Best regards,
Michael

Jean Henderson

Hi Michael,

My favs are the first shot and Icehenge. I shoot intuitively as you do and I appreciate the elegant simplicity of these two shots.

Jean