• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Through the lens

D90 with tokina 100mm f2.8 macro with debbie holding the 85mm f1.4d wide open.

6801885664_21ebef93b1_z.jpg

Ruben Alfu

Hi Jake,

I like the concept very much, the composition and the light are great, except for the reflections of light on the lens getting in the way of her face... I think the photo would be much stronger without them, or less of them.

Regards,

Ruben

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jake,

This is a great avenue to explore both in B&W, as you've done but also in color. You might also investigate working with a smaller aperture so the b.g. will be in focus too. This could be the beginning and end of this idea but I'd love to see this developed as a series.

Asher

Hi Jake,

I like the concept very much, the composition and the light are great, except for the reflections of light on the lens getting in the way of her face... I think the photo would be much stronger without them, or less of them.

Regards,

Ruben

Thanks. I need to set up some DIY modeling lights with a foot pedal for focusing.

Jake,

This is a great avenue to explore both in B&W, as you've done but also in color. You might also investigate working with a smaller aperture so the b.g. will be in focus too. This could be the beginning and end of this idea but I'd love to see this developed as a series.

Asher

I'll have to try that if I can get her to hold the lens again! One thing I liked about the shallow DOF is that I now have the appearance of two separate DOF. One of the rim of the hood on the 85mm and the image though the lens. It gives a strange visual effect because the face in the lens appears at a further distance than the OOF face holding the lens.

But I want to try as you said with deeper DOF so we can see what lens I'm shooting through.