• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An Odd Photo, but So What . .

Helene Anderson

One I did that was just a bit different from what I normally do, done a while ago. It was for a comp on a forum (which since I have little to do with).

The title of the comp was Circle In The Round so I typed that into a search engine and found it was the name of an album by Miles Davies (I think at his best here with So What with John Coltrane). So, to find a trumpet, my mind works in odd way. Ended up in a music shop!

001AComp-Copie.jpg

Another . . .

015AComp-Copie.jpg

I don't think the judge was a jazz fan though, the winner was two tyres attached to a boat - LOL!

Did do some phots of a concert locally (not jazz) that were fun and a challenge to do after.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One I did that was just a bit different from what I normally do, done a while ago. It was for a comp on a forum (which since I have little to do with).

The title of the comp was Circle In The Round so I typed that into a search engine and found it was the name of an album by Miles Davies (I think at his best here with So What with John Coltrane). So, to find a trumpet, my mind works in odd way. Ended up in a music shop!

001AComp-Copie.jpg

There's a famous saying attributed to Miles Davis in a speech, I believe, at Birmingham University, in the U.K. "Don't play what's there, play what's not there?" or "Don't just play the notes but the music between the notes." He may have gotten the idea from a loftier source:

"Music is the space between the notes."
As quoted in Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving (2001) by Jonathan G. Koomey, p.96 ISBN 0-9706019-0-5
Unsourced variant: Music is the silence between the notes.Source

So, Hélène,

Your picture of a trumpet on black space seems to follow this motif of creating in the dark spaces where see nothing but experience a lot. I wonder whether you really need both the semi vertical and horizontal
linear forms. One or the other would be sufficient as a reference line against which the position of the trumpet can be contemplated.

Asher

Last edited:

Helene Anderson

Thanks Charlotte.

So, Hélène,

Your picture of a trumpet on black space seems to follow this motif of creating in the dark spaces where see nothing but experience a lot. I wonder whether you really need both the semi vertical and horizontal
linear forms. One or the other would be sufficient as a reference line against which the position of the trumpet can be contemplated.

Asher

Gosh, I never thought of all that, was just after an image that was a bit cool, a bit sexy (musically). I am a simple soul, it's probably safer like that -
blush1.gif
!

Tom dinning

Registrant*
It's not a music collection unless there is at least one Miles Davis album. That track with Coltrane was originally on the Kind of Blue. And later on Circle in the Round. But who cares? There was never any time when Davis was at his best. He was always there.

As for the trumpet, I' wondering if any sort of reference is needed. Floating trumpets are not something you would see every day. Part of the fun would be to find out how to get it to float. Forget the comp. go for the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Hélène,

Lovely shot.

Nice trumpet. It looks (from the length of the bell tubing) to be a pitch lower than the most common Bb, but I'm not expert enough to be able to tell exactly what pitch.

Best regards,

Doug

Helene Anderson

You got me thinking about that now, Doug. As far as I remember it was B♭. I just chose the one with most yellow, as I had an idea what I was after, Yellow !

Oh, I was surrounded by pianos, there must have been about five or six in the (large) music shop. Plus very bright lights!