• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Different use of panorama - don't break your neck!

Woa! I need a new head for my tripod so I can get into trying some panoramas. The ball head just isn't cutting it.

I've always wanted to do this so that the moon is setting and the sun is coming up in the same frame or vice versa.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This was one of these moments where logic and anything related was put aside, but I like the result.
The best spot is to start at the bottom of the picture:

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

I admire your enterprise! It's certainly something that grabs one's attention. However, if the top part is really important, there are going to be a line of ricked necks at the chiropractor's office, LOL :)

Have you tried other projections? I can imagine it on a sphere and this would be an inverted U with clouds bridging two pictures. I'd really love to see that, just for the fun of it.

Asher

BTW, did you or did "mother nature" invent the whirl of white cloud streaks coming from above the tall building in the lower half?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
How about projecting it onto the ceiling and have people view it from a prone position?
Or even a curved ceiling.
There's a bloke in Darwin called David Silva who does 360 deg stuff. Often 200 shots or more for one panorama. Its quite disturbing to know you are looking at something knowing that part of it should be behind you. He prints them onto canvas and they are usually a few metres long.
Nice work, Michael.

Michael Nagel

Jake - thanks - there are ways to do this, just go ahead.

Asher, I did not try other projections. The inverted U is a good and healthy idea. The cloud was there, no PP involved.

Tom Dinning - thanks, yes, the projection on the ceiling is a good idea.

Tom Robbins - thanks - I have to admit that I was lazy and used the built-in panorama function. The focal length was 7.1mm, which is a 28mm FoV equivalent for 36x24mm sensor/negative. I do not know the number of frames, but the overlap for the in-camera creation of panoramas is quite large, so 15 or more frames can be involved here. The resolution is only 1920x1200 per frame in this case.

Best regards,
Michael

Cem_Usakligil

How about projecting it onto the ceiling and have people view it from a prone position?.
Here is a ceiling painting by Salvador Dali (Dali Museum, Figueres, Spain). The main figures are Gala (on the left) and Dali (on the right).

f12113.jpg

And another one from the Vatican Museum (I don't know the artist(s))

f23397.jpg

Michael Nagel

Fahim - thank you. This was the result from giving in to my inner child. This is not easy sometimes, but often rewarding.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
And another one from the Vatican Museum (I don't know the artist(s))

f23397.jpg

Cem,

In less crowded places, I lie on the ground to experience such wonderful paintings. However, in the Vatican Museum, for sure, one would not be able to see for the crush of the packed masses.

Asher