• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A bit of insecurity

Tom dinning

Registrant*
If I take the title verb literally, anything I have 'approaches' fine photography, much of it from a considerable distance.
Never-the-less I figure any photograph could be considered 'fine' if we replace the 'like' button on blogs and Facebook with 'fine' as in: 'Thats fine', when someone gives you a cuppa, which probably means 'Its OK but I'd prevere something stronger'.
This sort of fits the bill for me.

_DSC2693

by tom.dinning, on Flickr
Then we might approach the term 'Fine Photography' as many do with the classical still life shot of a vase of flowers and a wrinkled cloth. There may be something to act as a juxtiposition as well but I'm right out of jux's.

20111006_4015

by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

For my final attempt I might consider something as ordinary as a window with no view. Although this shot might be seen as a window into the world and a sociopolitical statement of the turmoil in which we have placed mortage holders in the far west during the current economic climate, its really just a picture of a window.

DSCN0129

by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

One might ask if I were to frame these with something plain and black with my signature at the bottom right corner and a limited edition number on the left I would consider any of these Fine Art Photography and charge a lot of money to a gullible collector. I need to pay the phone bill.

Sam Hames

I'm not sure if you're trying to be profound or taking the p***, or maybe both?

If I try really hard I see the upper panes of glass being ostracised by the lower panes of glass - it's not about mortgage holders at all, but about the homogenising influence of suburban life on the children growing up in it.

If the vase/flowers were in a gallery I wouldn't be able to afford it, regardless of my personal feelings on the photo.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm not sure if you're trying to be profound or taking the p***, or maybe both?

If I try really hard I see the upper panes of glass being ostracised by the lower panes of glass - it's not about mortgage holders at all, but about the homogenising influence of suburban life on the children growing up in it.

If the vase/flowers were in a gallery I wouldn't be able to afford it, regardless of my personal feelings on the photo.

Sorry Sam I should have gotten back to you sooner. Thanks for the comment. Gee, if you like it that much send me an email address and I'll send you a file through Dropbox you can print and hang yourself. No charge. You can even tell people you took it if you like. And you are right. I'm always taking the piss. Not about sending you a copy. That's kosher.
Cheers
Tom

Helene Anderson

I like the top photo with the leaves Tom. It suits my mood at the moment, here we are about to enter summer (one day perhaps) and my mind is in Hampshire in the autumn, all nice and cosy.

So, if it were on Facebook then I'd be clicking the 'like' button (or for me here 'j'aime').

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I like the top photo with the leaves Tom. It suits my mood at the moment, here we are about to enter summer (one day perhaps) and my mind is in Hampshire in the autumn, all nice and cosy.

So, if it were on Facebook then I'd be clicking the 'like' button (or for me here 'j'aime').

I hate 'like' buttons, Helene. If you smile I'll sense it. A smile from a beautiful woman is all I desire.
Tom