• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Corner

Antonio Correia

i-9gbrR7R-XL.jpg

Tom dinning

Registrant*
how nice it is to stumble upon places like this. If its part of your neighbourhood you are very fortunate. Its one of those 'secret places' where a child can hide and an adult can retreat.
Thanks, Antonia, for sharing your quiet moment. Don't tell me where it is for fear of distirbing your peace.

John Wolf

Antonio, this is beautifully composed and processed. I especially like all the triangles. A very fine piece, in my view.

I also enjoyed your web site.

John

Antonio Correia

Thank you all for the comments.

The sky has an important impact on the overall appreciation of the image so, I pushed it a bit with a red filter.

I think John is referring to the triangles on the sky "built" by the wires.

And Tom, do not tell me that I am fortunate to lieve in a place like this. This place is the result of un-planned urban growth chaotic and without any rules or very soft ones and fruit of the speculation of the building construction industry for decades.

In fact, it hardly matters where this is if not that it is in a sub-urban area of a great city in Portugal.
However, similar places can be found anywhere in certain parts of European countries.

This is just around the corner of a building 4 or 6 stores hight. Nothing to be proud of.

This image is one of a a theme in progress "Urban Decay" which is not on line so far.

John Wolf

Actually, I see about eight triangles in this composition, including the foreground buildings and stairs. And many of them provide leading lines to the point at the top of the steps. I enjoy this type of construction very much.

I also like your treatment of the sky. Just the right amount of filtering, in my view.

John

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Antonio,

This is so impressive to me that I'd like to revisit. I see this as Escheristic in motif and mood. Both are from overbuilding perhaps.

Also just a very minor fussy point, if I may. Do you really need to include the black irregular sliver of what might be a doorway on the right edge of the picture?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Antonio, This is so impressive to me that I'd like to revisit. I see this as Escheristic in motif and mood. Both are from overbuilding perhaps. Also just a very minor fussy point, if I may. Do you really need to include the black irregular sliver of what might be a doorway on the right edge of the picture Asher

Thank you Asher. You are right the doorway was there but it shouldn't ! I have cloned it and here it is better than before.

I have looked carefully when I finished the picture - after processing - but I couldn't see that little "problem".

Thank you for pointing it to me :)

To be honest I do not understand your point of view regarding the eucheristic aspect...

i-KLFvP9c-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

To be honest I do not understand your point of view regarding the eucheristic aspect...

i-KLFvP9c-XL.jpg

Antonio Correia: Corner

Well, it's not Eucheristic, or Eucharistic, but rather Escheristic, LOL!

Imagine just a portion of Escher's famous painting.

"the zigzag of empty staircases and hearding our eyeballs around and up and down across and back again"

Escher-relativity.jpg

Escher Relativity

Asher

Asher Kelman

Notice: This has been moved with Antonio's happy, non reluctant, no-coerced, approval from Layback Café to this forum as it's the right place for serious photographic work perhaps leading, in my opinion, to gallery consideration. :)

Asher

Antonio Correia

Notice: This has been moved with Antonio's happy, non reluctant, no-coerced, approval from Layback Café to this forum as it's the right place for serious photographic work perhaps leading, in my opinion, to gallery consideration. :)

Asher

I am flattered. Thank you. I hope not to disappoint you in the future.
:)

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I see none of that, Antonio, so I'll stick with my version. Your fortunes are what you reap. Let a child play here and they will smile regardless.
Cheers
Tom

Thank you all for the comments.

The sky has an important impact on the overall appreciation of the image so, I pushed it a bit with a red filter.

I think John is referring to the triangles on the sky "built" by the wires.

And Tom, do not tell me that I am fortunate to lieve in a place like this. This place is the result of un-planned urban growth chaotic and without any rules or very soft ones and fruit of the speculation of the building construction industry for decades.

In fact, it hardly matters where this is if not that it is in a sub-urban area of a great city in Portugal.
However, similar places can be found anywhere in certain parts of European countries.

This is just around the corner of a building 4 or 6 stores hight. Nothing to be proud of.

This image is one of a a theme in progress "Urban Decay" which is not on line so far.

Antonio Correia

I have re-touched the last image. One of my problems is that I am never - or rarely - satisfied with my work and sometimes, I re-do it.
That is what I have done now.
I have enhanced the sky and made it more 3D :)

i-r52LQpT-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Mea Culpa!

Thank you Asher. You are right the doorway was there but it shouldn't ! I have cloned it and here it is better than before.

I have looked carefully when I finished the picture - after processing - but I couldn't see that little "problem".

Thank you for pointing it to me :)

i-KLFvP9c-XL.jpg

Cropped on the right of oblique doorway triangle

My good friend, Antonio,

MEA CULPA

I was so wrong! Yes, it did seem better to remove that doorway, but if part of the engine driving this pictures is the unconscious, underlying disorder of overbuilt "civilization", that occult reference to the chaos of Escher, then I was wrong and misled you away from your original work which was correct as shot.

That extra triangle initiates the disorder right from the very edge and points us inwards. It functions within the image as an engine giving that necessary tension and weirdness the moment one's eyes scan the right edge of the picture. without it, the wall left there is naked and empty. That stark fact was obvious today and so I seek to expose my grave error.

i-9gbrR7R-XL.jpg

Original

Now the image is restored. An important lesson that that impulsiveness can break an image. Yes, it may seem like a fault to have the black distraction there, but it's a necessary fault, without which the disorder of the image is weakened so much as to unbalance everything.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher I have been too busy to drop you a few lines but here I am now. :)

If anyone is to blame that one is just me who gave up to the suggestion of removing the door.

Now, at this moment I consider it should be there but if it is not anymore, let it rest in peace and I will keep it this way: no door :)

Small details make great picture yes, but OK it is not this detail in particular which is so relevant that deserves to be "re-constructed" to re-establish the integrity of the image.

More and more, I tend to keep my images in "stand by" only for my eyes for a couple of days, and only then I can change it or even drag it to the bin like I have done sometimes.

It does happen to everyone that after this period of incubation we see details that have always been there and we were not seing them.

It happened to me during my professional life of course.

In the appreciation of this image one should consider that it doesn't appear by itself - alone - but in a set/theme/project/collection under the title "Urban Decay".

I do have already a few of them counting this one among them. But I am building a body of work under this theme. And to do so, I need time. Time and opportunity to get the photos at the right time of the day and at the right place.

I have never been a theoretical guy. I am very practical but time gave me a certain way to see things which is of my own. Obvious isn't it ? LOL

Sam Hames

You say these are to be part of a series on urban decay.

To me these seem to be very alive and vibrant spaces - there's layers of history and growth and rebuilding. A little maintenance and planting here and there, certainly a bit of neglect and disuse too. The technological stuff gets built over layer of older stuff.

I can say that there are very very very few places like this where I live. It's a kind of treasure to me to think that places like these even exist. Most of what I see is bland and sterile and new by comparison. It's functional to be sure but there's nothing with a sense of use like this.

Antonio Correia

You say these are to be part of a series on urban decay. To me these seem to be very alive and vibrant spaces - there's layers of history and growth and rebuilding. A little maintenance and planting here and there, certainly a bit of neglect and disuse too. The technological stuff gets built over layer of older stuff. I can say that there are very very very few places like this where I live. It's a kind of treasure to me to think that places like these even exist. Most of what I see is bland and sterile and new by comparison. It's functional to be sure but there's nothing with a sense of use like this.

I can understand your point of view Sam. Most probably you are not used to see decay places, places abandoned/left behind/neglected when people move to better ones.

This theme/set whatever you may call it, is supposed to be about the absence of values the World is going on these days and the decay of Portugal and Europe and... I was going to say USA but I will not. And also the rest of the World apart some huge growing economic giants, in fact.

The places you see can be very interesting for the visitor/viewer but the problem is that - even if being degraded - people are living in, not in the best conditions I bet.

I have however decided to omit any human being from this set to reinforce aggressiveness of the ambiant. OK, that is not perhaps the best way but... it's the one I have chosen :)

The treatment of the images are also part of the work. Rather crunchy/crispy.

I have been thinking that this is one - one - way to show the decay/spall of this society while others grow. It's natural, normal. One goes down the other goes up. There are Healthy people, there are old people. Some born, some die. Nature !

This is a theme I am building - I have told this somewhere haven't I ? - but I only place it on line after I mature it enough to make of it a decent body of work.

Thank you for those lines Sam :)