• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Letting the camera do what it does.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Photographers often talk of intuitive composition. I'm not big on intuition except when it comes to my wife (who always knows best) and my camera (which seems to have a mind of its own some days.
Today, in response to a request from a student, I gave my Nikon its head. My intention was to find some light that looked interesting, point the camera in the general direction without looking through the viewfinder, set everything on auto and press the button. No processing, just crop for square.
You know, I think my camera is smarter than I am.

_DSC9386 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_DSC9383 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_DSC9380 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_DSC9379 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

This one wouldn't fit into the square format so I gave it the space demanded by the camera.
Anyone who says a Nikon is just a camera should have a talk to mine.

_DSC9390 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Jerome Marot

Anyone who says a Nikon is just a camera should have a talk to mine.

So not only your camera takes pictures on its own and follows you in your sleep, it also talks back when asked. Does it answer riddles? Is it enchanted? Was it sold to you on a moonless night at a crossroads by a dark tall stranger hiding his face who wanted nothing else in exchange than your signature at the bottom of a parchment written in some strange and ancient language? In blood, your signature, according to tradition.

At that point, if we were in a movie, ominous music would play.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
point the camera in the general direction without looking through the viewfinder, set everything on auto and press the button.

You pointed it where the light was interesting! Millions of choices before in your life went into that pointing.

Only when you camera has ability to point at interesting things will it be able to make pics as you do.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I prefer Jerome's explanation over your's, Asher.
Besides, I like the idea that the good shots are mine and the bad ones can be blamed on the camera.