• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Impression(ism)

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi,

working on on tulips I tried to reduce the essentials of the flower, let's see, what you think about it:
(And yes, it is pure photography, no post production)

p1003134129-5.jpg

Wolfgang Plattner on Zenfolio

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi,

working on on tulips I tried to reduce the essentials of the flower, let's see, what you think about it:
(And yes, it is pure photography, no post production)

Wolfgang,

I love such images that are dreamlike. The form and colors here are a perfect experience. This is immediately pleasant and comfortable.

But why the sharp stem? Was that important to you? Perhaps you wanted to make it less relaxing for us and less pretty? Composition-wise it could be valuable to have the stem. I'm not sure.

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi Asher,

maybe a sort of guideline through the universe of blurred colors?
The last possibility to grip something safe?
This is a question that appears nearly automatically ... funny, seems to be the perfect irritation.
But for me the reason (after I recognized it in the picture) is, to give this stem the place it never gets when looking on a tulip. Everyone wows upon the colors, the foliants, no one recognizes the elementarily function of the stem.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

maybe a sort of guideline through the universe of blurred colors?
The last possibility to grip something safe?
This is a question that appears nearly automatically ... funny, seems to be the perfect irritation.
But for me the reason (after I recognized it in the picture) is, to give this stem the place it never gets when looking on a tulip. Everyone wows upon the colors, the foliants, no one recognizes the elementarily function of the stem.

Wolfgang,

Being a physician, I can't handle that argument too well. After all, the lowly exit to the alimentary canal, is hardly ever shown as a reference point for images of the luscious lips of lovely models. No one says, let's see those lips, but from the exit's viewpoint!

Still, your approach is entirely logical and democratic, but I never thought democracy, giving the ignorant a full vote, is a good idea, but I don't have a better one just yet!

Asher

Last edited:

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Wolfgang,

Being a physician, I can't handle that argument too well. After all, the lowly exit to the alimentary canal, is hardly ever shown as a reference point for images of the luscious lips of lovely models. No one says, let's see those lips, but from the exit's viewpoint!

Still, your approach is entirely logical and democratic, but I never thought democracy, giving the ignorant a full vote, is a good idea, but I don't have a better one just yet!

Asher

Wolfgang,
Don't you worry about Asher. His medical background is preventing him from enjoying a new experience. A few of my friends have tried that trick with the lips and failed but feel they are better for trying. Who was it that suggested the path least travelled?
As for the very undemocratic admission about 'ignorant' people, I feel I might be left out of the ballet completely if I disagree with him.
So I will.
I love the photo and I love the concept.
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Hames

The photo is abstract enough that I spend my time wondering how it would change if we move things around just a little bit.

I wonder if Asher's masculine/feminine musing would be reinforced if, say, the stem curved in the opposite direction, cradling the colour of the flower.

I'm happy to see the stem left in too. But that might be my engineers bias, I've never much cared for how buildings and machines look, but for how they're put together.