• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some recent candids

All shot with nikon d90 with nikkor 180mm f2.8 AIS lens. No metering or auto focus of course.

7269467206_78004212cc_c.jpg

7269468024_fba3ba518e_c.jpg

7269460090_e54823a881_c.jpg

Mark Hampton

All shot with nikon d90 with nikkor 180mm f2.8 AIS lens. No metering or auto focus of course.

7269467206_78004212cc_c.jpg

7269468024_fba3ba518e_c.jpg

7269460090_e54823a881_c.jpg

Jake,

good work on these images - there is a very clean image quality with this setup - how much practice have you done in focusing - its bang on when the wee yin is running towards you - which can be hard - they do move fast.

the last image with the insect? is cracking btw ... took me a second to figure oot what was going on.

anymore from this batch - even ones that didn't work?

whats your working routine for this lens/camera setup?

cheers

Jake,

good work on these images - there is a very clean image quality with this setup - how much practice have you done in focusing - its bang on when the wee yin is running towards you - which can be hard - they do move fast.

the last image with the insect? is cracking btw ... took me a second to figure oot what was going on.

anymore from this batch - even ones that didn't work?

whats your working routine for this lens/camera setup?

cheers

Thanks for the kind words Mark.

I've been using manual focus on most of my lens lately. I really don't trust the auto focus in my d90 combined with any of my lens at large apertures. I really don't use the focus indicators in the viewfinder either. Luckily my lasik has provided me with 20/15 vision! So I've been practicing manual focusing for a while. I, honestly, l like the "feel" of manual focusing more. I'm not sure how to explain it. I feel more at one with the camera.

Most of my shooting times are after I'm off work(7pm) till dark, so I need to shoot at wider apertures. My only lens I trust in auto focus, wide open) is the tokina 100mm macro. I don't blame the camera or the lens though as all have been bought used and could have been matched to the previous owners cameras. I would really love to send all my gear in to nikon to have the lens matched to my D90. It would be really nice to have micro focus adjustments in this D90.

My routine with this setup is to guess my initial expose. I'm usually pretty close to where I want to be. Then I usually expose to the right from there and try to get as close to clipping highlights as possible. Of course this depends on my subjects exposure, which comes first. Most people use the sunny 16 rule and go from there but I like to start wide open, or the aperture I want to use, at my fastest shutter speed and go from there.

It's really hard for me to have ones that don't work as long as they're in focus! Well at least when the subject is family.

Here are some more from the D90 and nikkor 180mm f2.8 ais setup.

I see you!
7360524880_caae390efd_c.jpg

Love my hat​
7360523198_5b26ed37db_c.jpg

Hidden flower​
7360525256_5dd230e355_c.jpg

Cut trees​
7360526154_deda398d75_c.jpg

Mark Hampton

Thanks for the kind words Mark.

I Luckily my lasik has provided me with 20/15 vision! So I've been practicing manual focusing for a while. I, honestly, l like the "feel" of manual focusing more. I'm not sure how to explain it. I feel more at one with the camera.

Jake - i though Lasik was slang for god (and then i though not a very cool god only 20/15 vision) - man what a change reading that made. shift i had to laugh.

how was the surgery? i have though about it but glasses make me seem (to others) brighter than I am !

in relation to the camera - i guess its like driving - once you no longer think about it it can almost become an extension of your mind.

a strange thing the brain.

cheers

Jake - i though Lasik was slang for god (and then i though not a very cool god only 20/15 vision) - man what a change reading that made. shift i had to laugh.

how was the surgery? i have though about it but glasses make me seem (to others) brighter than I am !

in relation to the camera - i guess its like driving - once you no longer think about it it can almost become an extension of your mind.

a strange thing the brain.

cheers

One of the best things I've done for myself, period.

Any hindrance you can think of, that involves glasses, is now in the past.