• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Another watch project

Minde Grantham

I decided to get back to it! Haven't gotten any new pictures out there for a while so here are a couple of new ones :)

IMG_5166.jpg

IMG_5186.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mindy,

It's a great idea to consider your pictures as being in an exhibition. Therefore they might be served well with space around them.

I decided to get back to it! Haven't gotten any new pictures out there for a while so here are a couple of new ones :)

IMG_5166.jpg

Mindy Grantham: Another Watch Project #1

IMG_5186.jpg

Mindy Grantham: Another Watch Project #2

IMG_5168.jpg

Mindy Grantham: Another Watch Project #3

IMG_5170.jpg

Mindy Grantham: Another Watch Project #4

That's better!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Mindy,

Let's look at this one picture on it's own.

IMG_5168.jpg

Mindy Grantham: Another Watch Project #3

There's something of the atmosphere of a privileged lineage with this use of gold, with polished wood and earthy tones. We can imagine these folk have some social advantages and status and likely as not travel and taste some of the best that life offers. The composition seems coherent in building up this picture for us and in a way, is a portrait of that household, real or imagined. The detail of the key in the lock works. Here, I'd put my neck out and risk having it chopped off by offering that the aphorism to "frame tight and crop tighter" is over valued. A portrait of a face can't just be the nostrils, LOL! Here I'd love to see more, much more.

Still, this project is a well thought out idea and worth working hard to bring to its full potential. That's the challenge and why Edward Weston worked so hard to get each still life just right. When you finally have built this into the image that best shows the strengths of your ideas, then it will captivate and give you a great sense of satisfaction. However, we are only half way there right now. That's only my opinion and your own natural protection of your intent must be the final judge as to whether anything I write is relevant to your picture.

It does seem as if there's a veil of yellow over the picture. Maybe that's needed for the effect you want to create, but I'd follow Jerome's suggestion and look at color balance from something neutral or work by eye.

A good idea is to look at the composition in B&W so as to examine the relative positions of each element. I wonder whether showing part of the watch is indeed better than including all of it. If part of it was "accidentally" covered by a string of pearls or black napkin or tie, then yes, a half exposed face would be interesting. Like it is, there seems to be a lack of commitment to actually having the watch there. It's like having half of a magnificent cloud in the picture. That powerfully pulls us out of the frame!

Asher

Minde Grantham

Thank for your observations Asher! I will play around with this a little more and maybe change the light a bit to get the right hues down.

I will also try to include more of the watch in the picture. I think my choice of lense could serve me better.