• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

standing waves

Ray West

I was slot milling a rectangular section from the side of a piece of 100mm box section steel, when I noticed the formation of some standing waves in the coolant. Here is a series of photos, taken with 24-70, no time for a proper set up, but thought it was sufficiently interesting to post here.

standing.jpg

(additional exif information - ;-) 6mm powder steel chip breaker slot mill, four flute, 2100rpm, at feed of 120mm/min, milling 6mm steel, in two passes, waste piece about 50mm square)

Best wishes,

Ray

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

These are awesome photos Ray, glad you've mentioned it in another post today since I'd totally missed them earlier.

Ray West said:
(additional exif information - ;-) 6mm powder steel chip breaker slot mill, four flute, 2100rpm, at feed of 120mm/min, milling 6mm steel, in two passes, waste piece about 50mm square)
LOL... this is sooooo funny :))).

Cheers,

Cem

John Sheehy

Cem Usakligil said:
These are awesome photos Ray, glad you've mentioned it in another post today since I'd totally missed them earlier.

Timing seems to be everything on this forum. The "new posts" link doesn't even take you back to your last visit sometimes, even if it was only several hours ago.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi John,

I know how frustrating it can be! It appears that if one looks at something in that "New Posts" link, it makes the others vanish!

I then check the "Last 24hrs" link and voila, it's all there!

We are collecting both idiosynchratic things like this and also ideas for making the interface better. Send such suggestions to me by PM.

Asher