• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Roots, giant and small!

6094380603_07fe9e6220_b.jpg

Swamp Forms, Noosa NP

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa MCC 111 VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.5cm X 19.6cm, from a 8x10 Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.

Australia is a place of extremes and even a swamp can dry completely. Trees that spend years partially submerged can develop adventitious roots that proliferate like knotted veins and arteries; very organic but also carrying a premonition of threat. These specimens of Melaleuca quinquenervia fell years ago because their huge bulk could not be supported by waterlogged soil but they did not die. Their aggresive grasp for life enables them to grow in any position. M. quinquenervia now demonstrates this same aggression as an invasive species in southern Florida where it chokes sawgrass marshes and converts open space into dark swamps.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Australia is a place of extremes and even a swamp can dry completely. Trees that spend years partially submerged can develop adventitious roots that proliferate like knotted veins and arteries; very organic but also carrying a premonition of threat. These specimens of Melaleuca quinquenervia fell years ago because their huge bulk could not be supported by waterlogged soil but they did not die. Their aggresive grasp for life enables them to grow in any position. M. quinquenervia now demonstrates this same aggression as an invasive species in southern Florida where it chokes sawgrass marshes and converts open space into dark swamps.

6094380603_07fe9e6220_b.jpg

Maris Rusis: Swamp Forms, Noosa NP

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa MCC 111 VC FB photographic paper,
image size 24.5cm X 19.6cm, from a 8x10 Tmax 400 negative
exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view
camera fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.

I'd offer to everyone, that these pictures allow us to experience much more than pictures of fallen trees that seem to defy death by thriving after being struck down. The've taken shapes that resemble the curves of the human form. However, there's also disorder. So what's going on? Maris just presents the picture as of what it is, the image of fallen trees in swampland. To go beyond that can be entertaining and fun. When a work of art allows us to bring our own minds to the experience of the work, there's a potentially rich opportunity for moving the envelope of reality to contain previously unthought of fantasies, we have, in a way, a space created for a kind of "gymnasium for the mind". While Maris' picture faithfully beings us the gesturing forms, from that point on, we are permitted to freely explore with our imagination. That, merely requires our brains to seize the opportunity to fill in the gaps! With so much artfully prepared and crafted by Maris in making his photograph, our own creativity requires no more than sitting back and relaxing, perhaps at most one glass of one's favorite wine, to bring these figures to life. To me, at the very least, these are lithe sensuous forms, reclining, bending over one another and more.

So take it in, populate the swamps with your own mind's fantastic scenarios. So, what do you see?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Michael,

Cem, thanks. The first of the two you posted above is exceptional.

Here are two more of the few I have:

The latter was inspired by Three Worlds from M.C. Escher.

Best regards,
Michael
As I wrote to Jerome, i like roots pictures. Yours is no exception. Are you planning to further pp it or is this your final presentation?

Re. the 3 worlds, a very good emulation if you ask me. Too bad you don't have a carp just underneath the surface, lol.

Asher Kelman

Michael,

What's so special here is intimacy. Maris shows that same quality in his work with roots too. Here that feeling of getting into the "being" of the subject gives us a rich experience. We feel the matter of the strong writhing and traveling roots.

Fine work in the right light!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Very impressive and unusual, Joachim,

I wonder what benefit there is for the tree to have roots so tall and narrow?

Asher