• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Yard Flowers

Hi Bruce ,
Those are some very pretty flowers. My favorite is the bottom one, which I, personally think would look cropped to just include the flower. It has an interesting shape and I don't think the negative space at the left is bringing anything that makes the image more interesting.

As for the other flowers, I can see that you are shooting with very harsh sunlight and to me, it's creating really contrasty shadows that I think takes away from the delicate nature of these beautiful irises. Perhaps consider shooting early morning or late evening, at the golden hour when the sun is low and glorious and soft. If this is impossible, then perhaps consider using a white scrim (you could probably make one easily for very few $) and that would soften the harsh sunlight.

I hope that it is alright that I have offered some critique as I remember you writing that you were here not only to share but also to learn. I'm also new here and not sure if you must have asked for a critique first. If I'm out of order, please let me know
:)
Maggie

Rachel McLain

I'll second pretty much everything Maggie said, especially the comments and critiques part so if you weren't looking for those, just ignore the following. :)

My favorite is the last one, too, and I'd like to see it cropped with a little more room on bottom and top, but it's got a nice feel of movement that I really like and it's not in the harsh light the others are. I find that for flowers especially morning light is best.

The dutch irises in the 2nd photo are lovely and the light is not quite so harsh as in the first shot. I would crop that without taking a bit of the bottom flower off if you can.

Rach

Bruce Jenkins

Hi Maggie and Rachel,

I appreciate the critique. Sometimes I am not very observent, the top 2 pictures are next to where my wife parks her car and I just happened to see them one afternoon. It was the first time I noticed that they had bloomed and had to take a few pictures. I have been trying to catch them in the morning but so far I havent seen any blooms since.
The 3rd picture was taken earlier in the day, we have alot of Agapanthus at work so I went in early and took some shot . I have since planted a few in the yard

Bruce

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bruce,

This picture has special value in the posture of the bloom and the presence of dark space.

The picture is simple but has more beauty by finding the bloom with the stem bending over, as if someone is making a gesture. The picture has, IMHO, a little room for improving perhaps. Try adding a gentle S curve and see if you think that improves it.

Asher