• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The fundamental premise of "single-valued" expsure metering

Doug Kerr

In another thread in this forum section, Fotis D. Tirokomos has provided an extensive monograph on an important topic related to photographic exposure metering. I haven't read it yet, but I plan to soon, and expect to comment on it.

In my comments, I will almost certainly refer to what I call the "fundamental premise of single-valued exposure metering". The actual "premise" is devilishly simple, but the background behind it is a little complicated, and is widely misunderstood.

So I thought I would review it here, sort of like an "include" file in a computer program with respect to my expected comments on Fotis' monograph. And of course it is hoped that this information will be of interest in its own right.

Single-valued exposure metering

"Single valued" exposure metering refers to the situation in which the "measurement organ" returns a single value from its examination of the scene or the lighting on the scene, which is the sole "measurement" input to the exposure metering algorithm. This value may in fact be directly derived with a single overall measurement, averaging the luminance "uniformly" or in accordance with some "weighting" pattern. Or it may be derived by taking measurements at a number of points across the scene, and then averaging them, perhaps uniformly, or perhaps in accordance with some static weighting pattern.

This is as distinguished from systems in which measurements taken across the scene are separate inputs to the algorithm, which then considers them in a way that may include pattern recognition and the like. This approach is widely used in automatic exposure schemes in modern cameras.

But this is not the paradigm I will be treating here. In fact, the "single-valued" class of exposure metering I do treat is what is found almost universally in "free standing" exposure meters, and the scenarios I describe are best understood in the context of free-standing exposure meters.

Two metering techniques

Now, that all having been said, I will consider two significantly-different techniques of exposure metering. They require different instruments (or different configurations of a dual-purpose instrument).

Before I proceed, I will note that there are two situations of scene lighting that may call for different exposure metering techniques. One is continuous lighting (as from the sun or from incandescent or fluorescent lighting). The other is burst lighting, as we have with illumination from a photoflash unit. Both of the classes of exposure metering have forms for both those circumstances. For conciseness of presentation, in general, my base language will be fore the continuous lighting situation, and I will put in square brackets the alternative language applicable to the burst ("flash") lighting situation.

Now, to the two techniques of exposure metering.

"Reflected light" metering systems. Here, the measuring organ determines the luminance [luminance-time product] of the scene over some field of view. Ideally, that field of view would be coterminous with the field of view of the camera for the shot to me made. But a free-standing exposure meter does not in general have any idea what that is, so its field of view may be arbitrary. But I assume here that the field of view of the meter is not "very small", as in the case of "spot" metering patterns.

The single value may be a uniform continuous average over the meter's field of view, a weighted continuous average, or uniform or weighted averages of multiple discrete measurements. The principle I discuss here can be best comprehended if we visualize a continuous true average.

The term"reflected light" metering is not fully apt, since this modality applies equally well to self-luminous objects (backlit signboards, for example).

"incident light" metering systems. Here, the measuring organ determines the illuminance [illuminance-time product] of the illumination on some location in the scene.

The fundamental premise - "reflected light" metering

In "reflected light" metering systems, the metering algorithm seeks to guide our setting of the camera photographic exposure (aperture and shutter speed [aperture only for flash]) to produce a predetermined value of the average photometric exposure on the film or digital sensor.

Photometric exposure is the physical phenomenon to which the film or sensor responds. The quantity is the illuminance-time product on the film or sensor.​

Now, in any particular meter, that predetermined value of this desired average photometric exposure varies linearly with the exposure index, which is what we tell the meter is the ISO speed (a specific objectively defined measure of sensitivity) of the film or sensor system.

When we set the little dial on a traditional analog free-standing exposure meter to "ISO 400", we are setting the exposure index to that value. This may or may not be the actual sensitivity (in terms of the "ISO speed") of the film in use or the sensor in its current "ISO" mode; the meter of course has no idea what that actually is.

But with the dial set to that value, the algorithm built into the meter will advise us of photographic exposure combinations that will produce, on the film or sensor, an average photometric exposure that the manufacturer of the meter feels is desirable if the ISO speed of the film or sensor were actually ISO 400.

So the result from the measuring organ is the input to the exposure metering algorithm, and the exposure index setting is a parameter. There is another parameter, the exposure meter calibration constant. It is by the choice of this constant that the manufacturer implements his opinion on what is the proper "meter-controlled" average photometric exposure on the film or sensor for any given ISO speed rating (the assumption being that the user will in fact set the exposure index to the rated ISO speed).

What about standards?

Isn't the exposure meter calibration constant prescribed by a international standard?

Yes and no. Yes it is prescribed, but to fall within a "really pretty wide range". The reason for this is historical, going back to the time when each meter manufacturer had his own idea of what "metered expose strategy" he wanted his company's meters to use as their premise for recommending photographic exposure settings to users. As we'll see later, we have not so much moved beyond that.

Incidentally, the definition of the constant (in terms of its unit, for one thing) is different for "reflected light" and "incident light" meters, and thus the nominal numerical values are different as well. In addition, the ranges permitted by the standard (in term of the max/min ratio) are slightly different between the two.

The fundamental premise - "incident light" metering

In "incident light" metering systems, the metering algorithm seeks to guide our setting of the camera exposure (aperture and shutter speed [aperture]) to produce a predetermined value of the average photometric exposure on the film or digital sensor for a certain assumed value of average scene reflectance (and depending on the exposure index setting).

If we consider a reflected light exposure metering system where the exposure meter calibration constant is in the center of the range for that class of meter provided for by the international standard, and consider an incident light exposure metering system where the exposure meter calibration constant is in the center of the range for that class of meter provided for by the international standard, then for any setting of the exposure index, the photometric exposure on the film or sensor resulting from a "metered" exposure will be the same for both meters (both techniques) if the average scene reflectance is about 0.16 (16%). (Perhaps you were expecting 18.3%.)

Integrated exposure metering systems

What about automatic exposure control in cameras? These are integrated exposure metering systems, normally of the "reflected light" type. They are "integrated" with the camera in these ways (in the case of a digital camera):

• When we set the "ISO" to 400, then:

•• The sensor system is set to a certain sensitivity (I did not say an ISO speed of 400 - more on that in a minute)

•• The exposure index of the exposure metering system is set to ISO 400​
• The result of the exposure metering algorithm sets the camera's photographic exposure, or guides us with a "little needle" to set it manually, to produce the average photometric exposure on the sensor the camera manufacturer thinks is appropriate for the sensor sensitivity when the "ISO" is set to 400.

Now, curiously enough, the international standard for automatic exposure control systems, a different standard than for free-standing exposure meters, does prescribe the exposure metering calibration constant with a fairly small range. But it does it in a round-about way, so that the numerical value doesn't really show up as such in the standard (it must be deduced from the actual provisions of the standard)!

Conformity?

Now, if, on a certain camera, when the "ISO" is set to 400, the ISO speed (a specific objectively-defined measure of the photometric sensitivity of a digital sensor) is not ISO 400, isn't that misrepresentation on the part of the manufacturer?

Well, no. If we read the camera specification, we find that the "ISO" setting is not in terms of the objectively-defined property ISO speed, but rather in terms of what is called the ISO Recommended Exposure Index (ISO REI). What is that?

That is a value that the manufacturer is allowed to choose on any basis he desires to, in order that when this value is used as the exposure index in a "standard" automatic exposure metering system it will produce the average photometric exposure that fulfills the "exposure strategy" the manufacturer wants for his cameras' users.

Woof!

Best regards,

Doug

Interesting article Doug.

I can assume that there are discrepancies between "ideal" = mathematical values and manufacturer implemented values, first on ISO then on f-stops and finally maybe on shutter speeds.

To explain,

Meters suggest always the "ideal" = mathematical values

When meter says ISO 200, it means ISO 200 (not 201, not 199), i.e. the exposure index as you call it should be exactly 200.

When meter says f/2.8, it means f/ sqrt(2)^3 = 2.8284...

When meter says 1/125, it means 1/ 2^7 = 128

A camera - lens system implements with discrepancies

When we set on camera ISO 200, it means ISO 200, but it is implemented (true ISO) as something <200

When we set on camera f/2.8 it means f/ sqrt(2)^3 = 2.8284... and this is implemented with a certain accuracy

When we set on camera 1/125, it means 1/ 2^7 = 128 and this is implemented with a certain accuracy

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fotis,

Good points in general. See one comment embedded.

When we set on camera ISO 200, it means ISO 200, but it is implemented (true ISO) as something <200

Actually, this is the situation there - I will give an example as on typical contemporary Canon dSLR cameras.

When we set the "ISO" to "200" on such a camera, this means that the ISO REI (ISO recommended exposure index) is 200. Recall that the REI is not an objectively-determinable metric of sensor sensitivity, but is arbitrarily chosen by he manufacturer.

ISO Speed is an objectively-determinable metric of sensor sensitivity, and was in prior times what was usually implied by the short name "ISO". In fact, the short notation "ISO 200" should properly mean ISO Speed = 200.​
It seems Canon typically chooses the ISO REI to be essentially the same as the ISO SOS (standard output sensitivity), another objectively-determinable metric of sensor sensitivity. It turns out that for all practical purposes, the ISO SOS is 1.4 times the ISO Speed.

Thus, in the typical contemporary Canon camera, the ISO Speed (the objectively-determinable actual sensitivity of the sensor) is then typically ISO 282)

This situation is described at length in this monograph:

http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/SOS_REI.pdf

It discusses the rationale for Canon's behavior.

Here is the capsule version.

I will treat "reflected light" exposure metering.

The "standard reflected light exposure metering equation" has this input:

• Measured [average] scene luminance

and these two parameters:

• Exposure index
• Expsure metering calibration constant

Its output is a recommended photographic exposure (that is, a combination of relative aperture [f-number] and exposure time [shutter speed]).

Then objective is to produce on the sensor a certain consistent average photometric exposure (for any given exposure index).

The rationale for the choice is tortuous, but is based on assumptions of the maximum-to-average reflectance of the 'typical" scene, and on maintaining a certain degree of avoidance of the prospect of "overexposure" (that is, photometric exposure on the sensor in some area that was at, or even above, the "saturation" level, so that luminance variations could not be discerned, and detail would be lost).

In modern cameras, the input to the metering equation is usually not the measured average scene luminance, but rather a value "intelligently" derived from analysis of luminance measurements at multiple points. But the result of that analysis is scaled for consistency with a simple average luminance measurement. Essentially, if we take a scene of uniform luminance, the output of the analysis algorithm would be the same as the output of a basic average luminance measurement.

Then, the actual "exposure equation" would be worked the same from either input, with the same parameters.

But, it was soon determined that this did not best exploit the benefits of the more-complicated evaluation of scene luminance. In particular, it turned out that for many actual scenes, the photographic exposure the whole process yielded was "too conservative". That is, there was wasted "headroom"; the range of photometric exposure on the sensor, over the whole image, did not come close to the "saturation" limit, and the potential dynamic range of the system was compromised.

Now, to deal with this, a camera manufacturer could do (at least) two different things to "burn the wasted headroom":

a. Change the exposure meter calibration constant parameter of the exposure metering equation, to cause a "hotter" exposure.

b. Make the exposure index parameter of the exposure equation less than the ISO Speed of the sensor, to cause a "hotter" exposure.

A problem with choice (a) is that there would then be inconsistency between the result using the internal, integrated exposure meter and using an external exposure meter (as might be desirable for some work). That could cause users to suspect a flaw in the camera's metering system.

So the only choice was (b).

But this would seemingly require the camera manufacturer to misrepresent the "ISO Speed" of the camera (in the downward direction, as a matter of fact).

To get around this, the standards body introduced a new metric of sensor sensitivity, the REI SOS, which would be 0.707 of the ISO Speed. The result of using this as the exposure index parameter of the exposure equation would be a half-stop "bump up" in the recommend (or automatically-set) photometric exposure, without tampering with the metering layer of the process. (Often that was about the amount of "bump" that seemed appropriate.)

But then, to satisfy the wish of camera manufacturers to actually tailor their "exposure strategy", a further quantity (not really a metric) was introduced, the ISO REI. This is an exposure index the manufacturer could freely choose to make the overall exposure control system produce a result the manufacturer thought would be "attractive" to a range of uses over a range of photographic situations while keeping the "actual "metering" layer consistent with the industry standard for that.

Finally, as an editorial matter, "true ISO" is not a good term for "true ISO Speed". ISO REI and ISO SOS are equally legitimate "ISO" metrics. I would suggest when you mean "true ISO Speed", you use that phrase. (Yes, "speed" is a silly name for the metric, but that is the formal name, for historical reasons.)

Best regards,

Doug

Dear Doug,

This is interesting, I'm not familiar with the term REI, I was just taking a look at a comparison by DxO labs for serson characterization.

You can have a look here:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/795%7C0/(brand)/Canon/(appareil2)/767%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon/(appareil3)/438%7C0/(brand3)/Nikon

What I can deduce from this diagmam is that,

apart from the lower Manufacturer ISO numbers < 100, 200 or higher Manufacturer ISO numbers, where some "peculliarities" occur, at the range 200 - 800 we can see that:

For all models, the measured ISO is 1/3 stop slower than the Manufacturer ISO number

Now I believe DxO by "measured ISO" the "true ISO number" or "true ISO speed" is claimed.

Therefore by their results,

True ISO Number ~ 0,8 Manufacturer ISO Number ~ 1/3 EV difference
(at least for Manufacturer ISO number range between 200 - 3200)

Yes, this seems to be a delibarate discrepancy, but it dos not go along with the 1/2 stop you are indicating.

I wish the camera manufacturers would be more open about it.

Kind Regards,

Fotis

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fotis,

This is interesting, I'm not familiar with the term REI, I was just taking a look at a comparison by DxO labs for serson characterization.

What I can deduce from this diagmam is that,

apart from the lower Manufacturer ISO numbers < 100, 200 or higher Manufacturer ISO numbers, where some "peculliarities" occur, at the range 200 - 800 we can see that:

For all models, the measured ISO is 1/3 stop slower than the Manufacturer ISO number.

That is interesting, and of course at variance with what I understood Canon (for one) was doing.

Now I believe DxO by "measured ISO" the "true ISO number" or "true ISO speed" is claimed.[/quote]

Yes, I would think so.

Therefore by their results,

True ISO Number ~ 0,8 Manufacturer ISO Number ~ 1/3 EV difference
(at least for Manufacturer ISO number range between 200 - 3200)

Yes, this seems to be a delibarate discrepancy, but it dos not go along with the 1/2 stop you are indicating.

And is in the "wrong" direction!

I wish the camera manufacturers would be more open about it.
Indeed!

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fotis,

I haven't had a chance to look at the DxO site yet, but the following occurred to me.

There are actually two possible premises for determining the ISO Speed of a digital sensor system prescribed by the ISO Standard (ISO 12232).

One is based on the photometric exposure required to produce saturation.

The other is based on the photometric exposure required to produce a certain signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Of course, the constants used make the two metrics "comparable".

The saturation-based metric most directly relates to the matter of appropriate exposure metering.

The SNR-based metric most directly tells us what kind of performance we can expect from the sensor system for "low-light" photography.

The ISO SOS has a saturation-based definition. The relationship I described between the ISO Speed and the ISO SOS holds if the ISO speed is defined on a saturation basis.

The ISO Speeds reported by DxO may be based on the SNR basis. And probably the "ISO" values on the camera are formally "ISO REI" (for which there is no right or wrong value!), but are probably essentially the ISO SOS value.

I don't know what the typical relationship is between the ISO Speed (saturation) and the ISO Speed (SNR) for modern cameras. If in fact the ISO Speed (SNR) is lower, then that might explain why the "ISO Speed" reported by DxO is typically lower than the "ISO" number on the camera.

In any case, I believe that Canon does not publish an ISO Speed rating (of either type) for their cameras (and never has). Before the introduction of the ISO REI, they were very vague about what the ISO number on the cameras was. Now, they say, very explicitly, that it is the ISO REI. Which of course is no less vague!

Best regards,

Doug