• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Snooty

Doug Lloyd

Was the first thing I thought when I saw this pose. This young Merlin was very tolerant of me as were its parents.
Doug

merlin~618.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is a portrait. Doug, where is this bird? Is the nest nearby or did you just on apon it.

Asher

Will_Perlis

Ah, the unwarranted confidence of youth! (and yes, I know one shouldn't indulge in anthropomorphism)

Where's the "hairlight" on those little white feathers at about 2 o'clock from his eye coming from? Is that mist in the background?

Doug Lloyd

Asher I found a Merlin nesting tree 3 years ago just at the edge of treeline in the mountains just behind us. I pretty much have the nesting cycle down and can find the fledglings within a day or to after leaving the nest. I dont go near the nest site until Im sure the young can fly. I can see it with bins from about a 100 yards. Most young hawks and falcons stay very close to their nest for a couple weeks even after they can fly and the adults continue to feed them. I spend a couple days getting them used to me and slowly move in on them. I was only able to shoot these lovelys for one day on the sun this year. BTY there were 3young.
Will thats the sun coming from the left. The BG is a mountain about a mile away and it was in the shade.
Thanks ALL
Doug

Steve Fines

"Portrait" is right. So well done I bet you could even sell one to his parents. :)

Seriously, very unique pose and capture. Well framed. Nice exposure with the slight rim lighting. Good stuff.