• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bunker 599

Hi,

Just a quick impression of one of the bunkers (number 599) that is part of the New Dutch Waterline (NDW), a military line of defence in use from 1815 until 1940 protecting the cities of Muiden, Utrecht, Vreeswijk and Gorinchem by means of intentional flooding.

It was transformed into a piece of landscape art by literally cutting it in two with a very powerful saw ...

Bunker599_8488-94_HDR(7).jpg

Due to the light conditions this was recorded as a 7 exposure bracketed HDR, processed in SNS-HDR, straight from Raw. I used the TS-E 24mm in a down shifted position to raise the horizon while avoiding keystoning, with foreward tilt for the plane of focus to accent the path into the distance. This allowed to shoot full frame, and no cropping was required.

And here an impression in another direction.

Bunker599_8421-24_HDR(4).jpg

Cheers,
Bart

Very nice geometry and leading lines in your captures.

Thanks Rob. That's the reason I took them the way I did.

The first because of the asymmetry in the left and right half, despite the symmetrical perspective. The second because of the stairs going up to the sky, as a lighter element compared to the solid concrete at the right, where the saw cut pattern leads the eye back into the image (for those cultures that read from top left to bottom right).

Cheers,
Bart

Mark Hampton

Hi,

Just a quick impression of one of the bunkers (number 599) that is part of the New Dutch Waterline (NDW), a military line of defence in use from 1815 until 1940 protecting the cities of Muiden, Utrecht, Vreeswijk and Gorinchem by means of intentional flooding.

It was transformed into a piece of landscape art by literally cutting it in two with a very powerful saw ...

Due to the light conditions this was recorded as a 7 exposure bracketed HDR, processed in SNS-HDR, straight from Raw. I used the TS-E 24mm in a down shifted position to raise the horizon while avoiding keystoning, with foreward tilt for the plane of focus to accent the path into the distance. This allowed to shoot full frame, and no cropping was required.

And here an impression in another direction.

Cheers,
Bart

I have been waiting for two years for you to post an image - i am not disappointed Bart. bang on - on all fronts - is it part of a body of work based on the bunkers?

cheers

I have been waiting for two years for you to post an image - i am not disappointed Bart. bang on - on all fronts - is it part of a body of work based on the bunkers?

Hi Mark,

Thanks. I've been more active in posting images in the earlier years of OPF, currently I'm also involved in software development for image enhancement, but that's very time consuming. Besides, I don't want to be overly present because I tend to look at things with a technical eye, and want to give room for the more artistic types of photography by others (like you) as well.

Bunkers (and other architecture like urban landscapes, also here and here) are one of my preferred topics (and we have plenty/hundreds of those bunkers), but I also shoot Macro (not only insects), and nature/landscape, or documentary. I also like shooting birds (mostly of the feathered kind ;) ) I don't shoot many people, although occasionally I do. Boats are also interesting subjects to shoot.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi,

It was transformed into a piece of landscape art by literally cutting it in two with a very powerful saw ..

Bart,

Immediate monumentality! This image sums up so many giant iconic works of man with steps massivity and paths. The simplicity and boldness captivates us and is at once both inspirational and humbling.

Kudos to the Dutch and your own vision!

Asher

Immediate monumentality! This image sums up so many giant iconic works of man with steps massivity and paths. The simplicity and boldness captivates us and is at once both inspirational and humbling.

Kudos to the Dutch and your own vision!

Hi Asher,

Thanks for the kind words. The bunkers are Dutch, the vision is mine.

Cheers,
Bart

Mark Hampton

Hi Mark,

Thanks. I've been more active in posting images in the earlier years of OPF, currently I'm also involved in software development for image enhancement, but that's very time consuming. Besides, I don't want to be overly present because I tend to look at things with a technical eye, and want to give room for the more artistic types of photography by others (like you) as well.

Bunkers (and other architecture like urban landscapes, also here and here) are one of my preferred topics (and we have plenty/hundreds of those bunkers), but I also shoot Macro (not only insects), and nature/landscape, or documentary. I also like shooting birds (mostly of the feathered kind ;) ) I don't shoot many people, although occasionally I do. Boats are also interesting subjects to shoot.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart thanks for pointing the work out - its good to see not only from a technical view point but for the work it self.

as we say in scotland pow.pow.pow

Michael Nagel

Bart,

I looked into the project - I like the idea as cutting through the bunker and providing a way is opposite to the purpose of the building. There is hardly a stronger contrast.

Your pictures provide an excellent view of this idea, the presentation suits the intention.

Thanks for showing!

Best regards,
Michael

Nicolas and Mark, thanks for your comments.

I looked into the project - I like the idea as cutting through the bunker and providing a way is opposite to the purpose of the building. There is hardly a stronger contrast.

Hi Michael,

I agree, it's a creative approach with multiple layers. One of the benefits of this particuar setting is that it is open to the public, no limits. Approx. 100 metres to its left is another bunker, but that one is closed with a gate, and several others to its right but some are burried under shrubs and surrounded by small creeks. Here is a short movie about the making of.

Your pictures provide an excellent view of this idea, the presentation suits the intention.

Thanks for showing!

Thank you for your comments.

Cheers,
Bart