• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: View of Pablo's Plaza

Right next to my college, in Idaho, is Pablo's Plaza, a little strip that has Mexican food joints and little mom and pop stores. During the fair, the place was lit up, so I got out the equipment and took this. Stitched together from 5 photos. The only post processing except for the stitching was desaturation, because even with a 30 second exposure, the colours were dirty and noisy. I have no idea why. Plus the image looked better in b/w.

Rahul Sharma

fahim mohammed

Hi Rahul.

A warm, belated, welcome to OPF.

It seems so uninviting. Is that on purpose?
I am sure it is thronged with people, even for Idaho!

I also feel the image squeezes me, confines me. I am somehow uneasy with the image, maybe that is
What you were trying to convey.

Thanks for sharing.

Sam Hames

It's a stark and slightly scary place - like Fahim it makes me uneasy. Maybe, like the place itself, it feels like that because there's nowhere warm and comforting to rest your eyes - just black or white and angles.

It's very effective!
Sam

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Right next to my college, in Idaho, is Pablo's Plaza, a little strip that has Mexican food joints and little mom and pop stores. During the fair, the place was lit up, so I got out the equipment and took this. Stitched together from 5 photos. The only post processing except for the stitching was desaturation, because even with a 30 second exposure, the colours were dirty and noisy. I have no idea why. Plus the image looked better in b/w.

Rahul Sharma

Rahul,

There are no people or signs of cars or activity. This reminds me of the closed places one passes at 11pm when one still is looking for a place to eat on some lonely country road.

Did you choose not to make the verticals true? Would correcting the angulation on the right alter your ideas on the image and take away from your intent?

Asher

Sorry for a belated reply. I have been busy with my LF photo project and have had not a minute to spare.
Actually, the place is really nice in the day. There is a little barber shop, a nice little mom-n-pop coffee place, and an italian joint. But the place closes down by 5, and at night is lit up with orange lighting. In the day, it is a little hub of activity. At night, it is the rustic version of Pruitt-Igoe. It is right next to the major road, but nobody comes in.
The pointy tops of the buildings remind me of a maw of a scary looking beast, especially when you see it in colour. It is all orange and red.
Fahim: Yes, I wanted to make it seem desolate and scary like.
Asher: As far as I am aware, the verticals are true, but I never really line 'em up. As with my LF work, I just eyeball it till it looks right. Maybe it is the distortion due to the panoramic stitching.

Asher Kelman

\
Asher: As far as I am aware, the verticals are true, but I never really line 'em up. As with my LF work, I just eyeball it till it looks right. Maybe it is the distortion due to the panoramic stitching.

Raul,

We get the picture, even with the wonky lines. In fact, they add some charm. The distortion is due to the angles by which the picture is taken, not the stitching. Still, in most cases, it's worth it to consider corrections.

With most stitching programs like Autopano Pro, Autopano Giga, or PTGui, there's an opportunity to set verticals easily and then when the image is rendered, it's pretty good.

Asher

Hey Asher,
Thanks for the suggestion. Being somewhat of a luddite, I am not computer savvy. I use photoshop's inbuilt stitching plugin. I did however just install Hugin, and am going to learn how to operate that bugger.
Cheers
Rahul

Asher Kelman

Hey Asher,
Thanks for the suggestion. Being somewhat of a luddite, I am not computer savvy. I use photoshop's inbuilt stitching plugin. I did however just install Hugin, and am going to learn how to operate that bugger.
Cheers
Rahul

Autopano Pro has a free test version. You can drag a whole folder of images of several panos and it will sort them! Works like magic.

Asher