• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mandelbroc (sic)

StuartRae

Each decreasingly small piece a copy of the whole. Ain't nature wonderful?

IMG_1635.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

The spiral itself would be called logarithmic spiral and the fact that it repeats itself almost identically several times is called self-similarity.
Although not true golden spirals, I still think Fibonacci would be impressed by its beauty :-D

StuartRae

Michael and Fahim, thanks for your kind comments.

Maggie, thanks for elucidating. The creature in question is a romanesque (or romanesco) broccoli. It was very fashionable in the '80s, but this specimen was the first I'd seen for several years, and I just had to buy it.

My title for the post was an attempt at a clever pun. Although the broccoli is not an example of the Mandelbrot set it does show recursive detail and as Maggie says it displays the fractal property of self-similarity.

Regards,

Stuart

Sam Hames

For a moment I almost thought it was computer generated - you have to look hard to realise that it isn't. If you trimmed the leaves and didn't have the paper towel I would wonder very hard about it.