• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pifflling the ground we walk on!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The must humble we walk over. I've taken to snapping what comes close to my feet. I am constantly amazed by beauty we can just pass without enjoying if we're not alert to it! We take so much for granted.

So here are a few of the things below my feet that fascinate me. In pure piffling fashion, these are taken immediately on observing and no attempt is made before or after the shot to substantially alter anything or create what's not there to be seen by the passer by who has at least one eye half open! :)

There's no pretense at my art, but rather the belief in the value of what's already there. There are no titles but location and date as they are simply what they are!

IMG_1169.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #1

Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angleles, October 2012

iPhone 3

IMG_0017.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #2

iPhone 3

IMG_1165.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #3

iPhone 3

Hoping you might find some more to add to this small family! :)

Asher

George Holroyd

It was a flyer, I don't recall what for exactly. I took the picture as it lay on the little side street where our apartment is located.

Asher Kelman

IMG_1169.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #1

iPhone 3

IMG_0017.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #2

iPhone 3

IMG_1165.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #3

iPhone 3

and adding one more to this walk!

IMG_0982_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #4

iPhone 3

Asher Kelman

Michael,

Just finding something so small that almost all people would ignore distinguished your way of relating to the world. The great thing is that this is what it is without and theories, constructed ideas. Simply "it is what it is", as you noticed it.

This, Michael, is such a find and I simply love it. Now someone else was probably pretty much up the creek without it! :)

Asher

Whoa, all these images are wonderful! An attempt to contribute:

original.jpg

Parkbenchoglyphs​

A decades-old park bench at a state park recently. Piffle polished by butts, I guess.

Asher Kelman

Whoa, all these images are wonderful! An attempt to contribute:

original.jpg

Parkbenchoglyphs​

A decades-old park bench at a state park recently. Piffle polished by butts, I guess.

Tom, what's remarkable about this piffle is that it needs no title as it speaks for itself. I think that's the nature of really good piffle:either silent or what has to be said is right there in front of us. It does not have any high minded ideas or hidden concepts or metaphors as most art. "It is what it is!"

The sitting of the bench really humbles the individual carvings into an overall stochastic patina and all those little egos and efforts are subsumed by the wood.

Excellent find! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

This is worth returning to as it's so remarkably indicative of disregard for public property yet creates some haphazard performance art. Again there's no "meaning" intended here and that's what makes it! We know what it is, but it's not shown as a notice not to litter or else shaming the culprit.

Asher

Asher Kelman

While the previous ones were piffling good..this one is a true piffle!!

Regards.

Fahim,

Thanks, that's my favorite too! What surprised me was the sheer immediacy and honest simplicity in making the piffle as opposed to usual captures. It's utterly factive: it's what one sees if one happens to look down and notice! I did nothing except record what was there. That's what is so refreshing. Who's have thought that the simple truth is so satisfying when we are so skilled in creating fantastic images by fiddling before or after the fact?

I must admit, I did try to improve the piffle, but it wouldn't allow it. :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

IMG_1180.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #5a

iPhone 3

IMG_1181.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #5b

iPhone 3

IMG_1180.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #5c

iPhone 3

The bottle cap seems so integrated into the ground as if it were a driven in bolt that would never move!

Asher

Mark Hampton

IMG_1180.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #5a

iPhone 3

IMG_1181.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #5b

iPhone 3

IMG_1180.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ground Piffle #5c

iPhone 3

The bottle cap seems so integrated into the ground as if it were a driven in bolt that would never move!

Asher

if these were true piffle you wouldn't need to comment on them ... also giving them a name and number is against in the rules of piffle... calling something piffle isn't enough I'm afraid.

Asher Kelman

if these were true piffle you wouldn't need to comment on them ... also giving them a name and number is against in the rules of piffle... calling something piffle isn't enough I'm afraid.

Mark,

You're making "rules" for piffles, as if you have some authority over them, LOL! Piffles are just ad hoc, non-planned snaps with no pretenses of higher meaning or references. They are what they are: immediate impressions of no further importance. Now a common feature of a piffle is that its a picture taken incidentally for fun where we value the result. At that point, we can catalog the pictures we share for our reference. We can even comment on them! why not.

The whole idea id that they are spontaneous snaps for immediate joy and interest without substantial work either before or after the fact! That's it. They are just what they are for you and for me. :)

Asher

Mark Hampton

Mark,

You're making "rules" for piffles, as if you have some authority over them, LOL! Piffles are just ad hoc, non-planned snaps with no pretenses of higher meaning or references. They are what they are: immediate impressions of no further importance. Now a common feature of a piffle is that its a picture taken incidentally for fun where we value the result. At that point, we can catalog the pictures we share for our reference. We can even comment on them! why not.

The whole idea id that they are spontaneous snaps for immediate joy and interest without substantial work either before or after the fact! That's it. They are just what they are for you and for me. :)

Asher

ad hoc, non-planned snaps with no pretenses of higher meaning or references

you do understand that this is twaddle i suppose?

When you begin a picture you often make some pretty discoveries. You must be on guard against these. Destroy the thing, do it over several times. In each destroying of a beautiful discovery, the artist does not really suppress it, but rather condenses it, makes it more substantial. What comes out in the end is the result of discarded finds. Otherwise you become your own connoisseur. - Pablo Picasso

Asher Kelman

ad hoc, non-planned snaps with no pretenses of higher meaning or references

you do understand that this is twaddle i suppose?

Mark,

Unfortunately, Your mind is just set for "twiddle" or "twaddle" and that's the way you read things. So likely that all you get from the effort, "twaddle"! Think in simple terms, and it will come to you. :)

"When you begin a picture you often make some pretty discoveries. You must be on guard against these. Destroy the thing, do it over several times. In each destroying of a beautiful discovery, the artist does not really suppress it, but rather condenses it, makes it more substantial. What comes out in the end." Pablo Picasso

While nice for a lot of art, this has no relevance to what we can celebrate for its immediacy for a snap of something noticed as special, just in passing, with no rethought on the matter. This is so unlike Picasso's far loftier works, all conceived with a brilliant vivid imagination and planned carefully. However, what we term "Piffle" in photography in OPF has no planning, with little to no references likely to previous work or ideas and lacks the brilliance of execution and realization of important ideas.. You miss the idea and value of the class of "snap" we term "Piffle" here, if you even mention Picasso in the same breath! :)

Asher

Mark Hampton

Mark,

Unfortunately, Your mind is just set for "twiddle" or "twaddle" and that's the way you read things. So likely that all you get from the effort, "twaddle"! Think in simple terms, and it will come to you. :)

While nice for a lot of art, this has no relevance to what we can celebrate for its immediacy for a snap of something noticed as special, just in passing, with no rethought on the matter. This is so unlike Picasso's far loftier works, all conceived with a brilliant vivid imagination and planned carefully. However, what we term "Piffle" in photography in OPF has no planning, with little to no references likely to previous work or ideas and lacks the brilliance of execution and realization of important ideas.. You miss the idea and value of the class of "snap" we term "Piffle" here, if you even mention Picasso in the same breath! :)

Asher

Asher - the only images that have no reference are images that are never seen - as a maker when you publish or make an image you give up the control how the images is viewed and by whom. Your Piffle as you call it could be art to some poor sap.

these are not my rules as you put it - this is how vision/culture works. If you cant understand this simple process I think you should give up and become a bean bag :)

cheers

yo

Asher Kelman

Asher - the only images that have no reference are images that are never seen - as a maker when you publish or make an image you give up the control how the images is viewed and by whom. Your Piffle as you call it could be art to some poor sap.

these are not my rules as you put it - this is how vision/culture works. If you cant understand this simple process I think you should give up and become a bean bag :)

Mark,

You're could be absolutely right so far as the fate of our piffles. Someone could indeed appreciate them as fine art and elevate their value and even come to collect them! However, that does not alter our use of the term piffle for shots which are of a certain specific kind: those made with immediacy of recording something noticed, but with no other pre-planned concepts as Picasso, Magritte or Matisse would conceive of.

So, yes indeed, it may be read as you wish but it's born without planning or great effort of thought. For the maker, then, "it is what it is, a simple shot, a "piffle" with no intended or crafted message". After, the rest of the planet, from then on, can enjoy it as they wish! :)

So in a way, it's more related to finding a piece of driftwood that catches one's eye and one is able to bering it home and show to others.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Mark,

You're could be absolutely right so far as the fate of our piffles. Someone could indeed appreciate them as fine art and elevate their value and even come to collect them! However, that does not alter our use of the term piffle for shots which are of a certain specific kind: those made with immediacy of recording something noticed, but with no other pre-planned concepts as Picasso, Magritte or Matisse would conceive of.

So, yes indeed, it may be read as you wish but it's born without planning or great effort of thought. For the maker, then, "it is what it is, a simple shot, a "piffle" with no intended or crafted message". After, the rest of the planet, from then on, can enjoy it as they wish! :)

So in a way, it's more related to finding a piece of driftwood that catches one's eye and one is able to bering it home and show to others.

Asher

So what you term piffle could be term found photographs - why don't you post them in the section for that - or snap shot - make a new section - you have the power.

also you are making rules for piffle LOL who gave you the authority? oh wait its your site !

I looked in a book on aesthetics and cant find your definition anywhere - ah wait that is a paraphrase from you.. this should it be in bold / red and a large font ... come one asher your talk of piffle has addled your brain

I believe the term twaddle reflects what you are talking.. the images posted are not words or signs having no intelligible meaning lol the choice to make an image suggests some form of meaning and engagement has taken place... your decision to name / number and comment on them also again shows the same engagement and reading from the maker....

show us some real piffle Asher ... not the fussy arranged images on here ... show us images without thoughts for rules or signs ..... close your eyes and take snaps after been led somewhere by your grandkid.... let them spin you around and then you press that button...

be free asher !

be free :)

Asher Kelman

So what you term piffle could be term found photographs - why don't you post them in the section for that - or snap shot - make a new section - you have the power.

also you are making rules for piffle LOL who gave you the authority? oh wait its your site !

I looked in a book on aesthetics and cant find your definition anywhere - ah wait that is a paraphrase from you.. this should it be in bold / red and a large font ... come one asher your talk of piffle has addled your brain

I believe the term twaddle reflects what you are talking.. the images posted are not words or signs having no intelligible meaning lol the choice to make an image suggests some form of meaning and engagement has taken place... your decision to name / number and comment on them also again shows the same engagement and reading from the maker....

show us some real piffle Asher ... not the fussy arranged images on here ... show us images without thoughts for rules or signs ..... close your eyes and take snaps after been led somewhere by your grandkid.... let them spin you around and then you press that button...

be free asher !

be free :)

No, that would be twaddle! You do that spin and then it will fit in which what you think! LOL!

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is not random1 It's chosen and that's why it's interesting. However, it's not intended to be more than that and that's commensurate with the effort making it. Still it's damn good and in that it's not neat, it's better than mine perhaps! That last plate has a cigarette on it and that shows how well it was made although fast. That cigarette butt made it for me.

but Mark, please, ignore this as it does not meet your definition.

Asher

Jean Henderson

WELL!! Staying out of the piffle and twiddling conversation:

@Asher. I like 1, 2, and 4 the most. I don't like 3 at all. And, I have to concur, that 5a-c seem a little bit twaddling with the piffle!

@Jerome. LOVE the cigarette butt/red plates!

@Tom. What a cool find!

@Sam. LOVE your first shot!

@Michael. I like all of yours very much! It's a toss up for favorite -- the green wing nut or the "paving" with the addition of something hand drawn.

Now, guys, if I'd quoted each one of you to show your picture, think how LONG it would take you all to scroll through it all!! Let me know if I wasn't clear enough, though... Did I miss anyone?