• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cypher

George Holroyd

Let's see if this one stimulates any conversation.

tumblr_mdqlqjgwBt1rxciibo1_1280.jpg

George Holroyd: Cypher

From the Carnem workshop, Milan

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let's see if this one stimulates any conversation.

tumblr_mdqlqjgwBt1rxciibo1_1280.jpg

George Holroyd: Cypher

Hi George,

Thanks for sharing.

I'd immediately gravitate to this picture in a gallery as letter might convert meaning and that's hopefully interesting in itself. Use of letters has been made by many artists to express ideas of social or political value or protest. In these case, it's usually executed with precision, but that's not always the case. So in this picture, where there's softness and blurring in the periphery, it does not rule out some intended meaning.

To me, "Cypher" works, even if it remains undecyphered, as it presents the topic of a mystery to be unfolded or discovered. That, in fact is the story of our lives. All our hopes, fears and expectations are tied up in a code we can only guess at. So this has great appeal to me and I expect this will apply to many others too.

Were you asked to photograph this actual item and BTW, what is it? Did anyone else take such a picture? If so, it would be fascinating to see the range of interpretation.

Asher

George Holroyd

Asher,

"Cypher" is a photo of a street pole which was covered with small white advertising stickers. There were a number of these types of advertisements in the Chinatown area of Milan, which is where our workshop was held. We were not asked to photograph this type of thing specifically, but rather to go out and shoot from the gut. Interestingly, no one else took a photo of this particular object, despite the fact that it was directly in front of the entrance to the workshop facility.

When we gathered as a group to reviews photos, I mentioned my tremor and how I had previously been trying to hide it in my work but that I had wanted to confront it in what I produce going forward. Hence, the use of blur.

I took a similar photo of the advertising stickers, below. Though, in this example, I wanted to emphasize the texture of the collage of stickers. This wasn't as well received as the above, though.

tumblr_mdqx19mVTU1rxciibo1_1280.jpg

George Holroyd: Collage

Asher Kelman

Asher,

"Cypher" is a photo of a street pole which was covered with small white advertising stickers. There were a number of these types of advertisements in the Chinatown area of Milan, which is where our workshop was held. We were not asked to photograph this type of thing specifically, but rather to go out and shoot from the gut. Interestingly, no one else took a photo of this particular object, despite the fact that it was directly in front of the entrance to the workshop facility.

When we gathered as a group to reviews photos, I mentioned my tremor and how I had previously been trying to hide it in my work but that I had wanted to confront it in what I produce going forward. Hence, the use of blur.

I took a similar photo of the advertising stickers, below. Though, in this example, I wanted to emphasize the texture of the collage of stickers. This wasn't as well received as the above, though.

tumblr_mdqx19mVTU1rxciibo1_1280.jpg

George Holroyd: Collage

Great explanation, George; feels like we're with you on your shoot!

It's surpassing how much detail there's to see when one stops and looks around. You chose your subject very well.

Asher

George Holroyd

A stabilized lens/camera would probably help. Although, I think I'd rather use my tripod when I felt the need for eliminating the tremor as a variable. Otherwise, I plan on exploiting it.

Asher Kelman

A stabilized lens/camera would probably help. Although, I think I'd rather use my tripod when I felt the need for eliminating the tremor as a variable. Otherwise, I plan on exploiting it.

I think tremor is not an issue, George. Still, if, indeed you want to exploit it, then you'll have to use longer lenses! :)

Asher

fahim mohammed

Hi George.

Enigma! The first thing that springs to mind. Could very well be a plaque on a planetary probe ( if the
Chinese characters are appropriate ).

The blur adds to the cypher, rather than detract from it. IMHO.

Best.