• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Juxtaposition for Effect!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm interested in the influence of one scene on another so that some aspect of language is evoked, allowing the reader to make associations, but guiding them to some extent.

_MG_6928_6921_diptych_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Above and Below

Comments welcome!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I put together some images to give a feeling of going from outside to inside the Pacific Design Center in Los Angeles.

_MG_8290_6828_8341_triptych.jpg

Asher Kelman: Pacific Design Center

Cheers!

Asher

Michael Nagel

_MG_6928_6921_diptych_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Above and Below

Comments welcome!
Well, you asked for it ;)

I will ask you a few questions on this one:
Did you consider to reverse the positions of the two shots?
Did you consider the difference it would make if the lower part of the person seen on the left would not have been cut off? Looking up to someone includes this part.
Did you think of creating an artificial line of sight from the person above to the person below?

Just a few questions ;)

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Thanks Nigel,

I'l think about all your points and look at my primitives again and see what happens. Thanks for the stimulating thoughts. It's helpful when one gets prodding and not just accolades.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

one more thought:
Did you ever think of creating a paradoxal situation like placing 'Above' below 'Below' and making a person looking up to the 'Below' setting?

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

What was you main intention here:
Juxtaposing large and small (the tree structure is considerably smaller than the building structures) with the large or Artificial vs. natural elements?

Best regards,
Michael

Exactly and also outside the building v. inside, just the hues and diagonals linking them beyond proximity.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

while I prefer to concentrate on one difference to keep it simple for the viewer, did you think of using one if the differences mentioned as dominant strait and express the others in a subdued, but visible manner?

Having one dominant strait helps to draw the viewer into the picture where (s)he can discover more...

Just a thought...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher,

while I prefer to concentrate on one difference to keep it simple for the viewer, did you think of using one if the differences mentioned as dominant strait and express the others in a subdued, but visible manner?

Having one dominant strait helps to draw the viewer into the picture where (s)he can discover more...

Just a thought...

Best regards,
Michael

I appreciate the suggestion and your ideas will no doubt speak to me again as I work further on this project.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, I seem to understand what you are trying to achieve. Suppose you hadn't mentioned in words
Your intentions, what connections are there for the viewer to interpret your thinking?.

Would any interpretation be correct?

Do you want it to be seen as a photo essay? Suppose you separated each frame, and posted it on its own, how would it be perceived?.

I was searching for a small bird hiding in the tree!.

If there is supposed to be a connection, direct the viewer to make that connection, in a subtle way, or
let the viewer follow his/her intuition and interpret the images in his/her own way.

But do not say your intentions, and not leave some association to be made to connect. That would be unfair to the viewer.

Some might call that sort of image/s as ' art '.

Asher Kelman

This "Risk it!" experiment is just that. I'm starting on a path where I select a few of my pictures that go together in some way that satisfies me and makes them intriguing. So far, I've been only partially successful in these two goals. Still, I open them to you as this provides feedback that might help refine my approach.

I do not know all the answers. I'm playing with the idea of neighboring pictures working together in some way, altering the nature of each unit seen natively alone and providing something interesting for the viewer to explore. Yes. this is meant to be artistic, but without some built in "message", but rather a set of materials, visual shapes or sensibilities that might suggest to the viewers meanings, feelings or just a sense of distraction.

So one could put "black" "&" "white" and then one might think of connections to that. So someone could imagine B&W Whiskey and someone else a police car and another a clear instruction to follow. But that explanation is far too specific for the stage I was at in sharing just two pictures. I'm not there yet as I'm only playing with the images that I feel might work together and am not yet explicit enough in my intentions and craft. I just like what I've done so far, but not enough that I'm satisfied as yet.

Asher, I seem to understand what you are trying to achieve. Suppose you hadn't mentioned in words, [y]our intentions, what connections are there for the viewer to interpret your thinking?.

I hope I've answered these questions well enough. Let me know.

Would any interpretation be correct?

Yes, correct for the time spent by the viewer, bringing their own givens and needs at that time. I'd be interested to know what ideas came to mind; nothing lofty at the moment! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Michael,

That's an approach that seems to have value. Thanks!

Asher

Asher Kelman

All these images could be posted in the thread about "diagonals". Was that intentional?

Jerome,

The thread on diagonals probably helped and influenced me. But this is a new project for me, associating images by juxtaposition only my own pictures in the same image frame as opposed to looking serially at the work of the community, as in the great thread you started on "Diagonals". Nothing in my plans requires diagonals to be used, although, this possible element is always tempting to be invited into the build of a presentation.

Asher