• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Hitonhauta - The Devil's Grave

Jarmo Juntunen

My idea of a good day: woke up at 6 am. Drove 40 kms in a pitch dark rainy morning. When I arrived it was still dark. The day remained pretty much like that for the rest of the day. Did I already mention it was also cold? Well, I didn't and it wasn't. +5 C is a hot day for our November.

Folks, this is the Hitonhauta Natural Reserve in Laukaa, Finland. The name translates roughly as The Devil's Grave. It is easy to understand why.

_img900.jpg

Seen any trolls?

_img900.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hitonhauta Cave

_img900.jpg

Jarmo,

Are there legends about the cave? Seems that there might be with the name Devil's grave for the entire place! Are you shooting from within the Hitonauta Cave looking out, or is that the cave ahead on the right, that dark patch?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Jarmo,

the last one is the one I like the most.

It the soft tones from the fog combined with the few straws of reed and their reflections adding calligraphic elements to the scenery.

Thanks for this series and especially this one.

Best regards,
Michael

Jarmo

Looks like a wonderful place to go as expressively depicted in your images. And I agree, the last one is especially evocative.

Jarmo Juntunen

Hi all and thank you! It is a really interesting location and unlike most other nature reserves in our country not equipped for visitors. In other words walking through the gorge takes a lot of time and sweat, especially after such a rainy summer.

Asher, I tried to look for some local legends but found none. But I'm sure the name is pre-Christian. Old folklore up here was inhabited by trolls and hobgoblings of all possible sorts and descriptions. Hitto was a common name for such malivolent creatures and it was used throughout the spec of land that is today called Finland. When new religion replaced old beliefs, old names for the central characters remained more or less the same as before.

That little cave is really no more than just a little hole in the stone wall. We don't have impressive caves here, due to geological reasons.