• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Snippets from a factory visit

fahim mohammed

Michael, this is a wonderful treat for me.
More so, since it involves working machines from a 100 years ago.

Equally important is the clean and succinct way you capture and present the images.
I have mentioned it before, and cannot fail to realize your signature.

Really is wonderful to see a ' photo essay ' ( if I may call it that ) in such a precise and fresh form.

Thank you for sharing.

p.s. have you been into a brewery? I would love your takes from that visit!! :)

Michael Nagel

Fahim,

Thank you! My thought was more like that there is no room for artistry here.
There was not much time during the visit (I went through it two times) and contemplation was replaced by speed.
I have enough material to provide some glimpses of the production process in the hope not boring everybody. Viewing is one thing, but paper is something to touch...

After the mixing shown above, the next step is the Hollander Beater:

This is also the moment where color can be added:

The right measure is required for each part of the mixture:

Before it is deposited on the band where the water has to go (the mixture deposited consists to more than 90% of water):

For the brewery - yes, I have seen some breweries and even brewed beer under guidance of a brewer. I will show some of it in another thread.

Best regards,
Michael

Bob Latham

A wonderful documentary of a paper mill, Michael. I spent most of my working life in places similar to the one which you've illustrated. It's certainly the fact that there are many old machines still producing superb quality today (albeit with more modern control systems....my part in the bigger picture)

Bob

Jarmo Juntunen

Michael, thank you for these! Paper mills do have a certain charm, don't they? We all use the product but not too many of us actually know how it is produced. We used to be the world leaders in all kinds of paper production but now the industry is fleeing closer to the main markets in pursuit of lower costs. Stock holders may be happy but entire industrial towns are now dying, not to mention what countless families are and will be going through.

Michael Nagel

Bob,

Thank you! Yes, these machines have been modernized too. The old machine runs now with an electric motor and depends no longer on the water from the small river running by. The factory has a unique Ozone water treatment facility to minimize the ecologic footprint and there were other changes. Still - the old machine can be run on relatively low power with one motor relying on transmission for the rest. Amazing.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Jarmo,

Thank you! Yes, I am aware of that. Paper was never as important in Germany when compared to Finland, but it lost importance as well. The paper mill I had the occasion to visit is a family business - already in fourth generation. They are doing well.

Four more:

The paper arrives on rolls after the machine:

There are cores needed for those rolls:

Embossing can be added as step in the production process:

Some customers buy the rolls, others sheets:

Cut

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Bart,

Thank you! I wished that I had more time...

Four more:

The sheets of paper on the stack are separated by little slips of paper to ease counting:

Sheets which may contain faults are also marked during cutting:

Each sheet is controlled individually - the women at the packing station process several tons of paper per day:

Then it is packaged on palettes:

Best regards,
Michael

Bob Latham

The gear has to be chosen carefully, otherwise the stream of paper would be ripped apart!
Typically, each place where the web of paper is pulled, there is a 1-2% overspeed from the previous section. This will keep the web under tension and the friction (or slippage) is adjusted to prevent tears. After the web is cut into individual sheets, the overspeed is increased to 10-15% to facilitate stacking.

Bob