• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lauzy weather in Setubal - Portugal

Antonio Correia

114987504-M.jpg
114984242-M.jpg
115061537-M.jpg
115061090-M.jpg

All these photos rise a question (for me anyway):
How to photograph the rain ?
How to transmit the feeling of rain, bad weather, discomfort ... ?
I don't mean in the sense of what stands in the image but in the image itself ?
Let me explain: I want to show the boats with bed weather, not a boat in trouble because of it ...

These pictures were shot from inside the car, moving back and forward, over and over.
I still got my 70-200 wet. Just a bit. No big deal. The car was wet inside in spite of the wind ... or because of it :)

Ray West

Hi Antonio,

Its not bad weather, typical English summer. I think you need to exaggerate it, somehow. Grunge down the colours, close up of sodden canvas, awnings, whatever. Boats are meant to get wet.

With a small image, different rules come in to play, scale colours, and so on. Bright yellows and blues, in the gentle drizzle, look like bright yellows and blues. A light grey sky looks like a light blue sky. The images you have, you need to pp them. The last one looks dismal, because subdued colours, and effect of rain blurring distant objects. The others, you need to get in close, to show the detail, water splashes, etc.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Antonio Correia said:
All these photos rise a question (for me anyway):
How to photograph the rain ?
How to transmit the feeling of rain, bad weather, discomfort ... ?
I don't mean in the sense of what stands in the image but in the image itself ?
Let me explain: I want to show the boats with bed weather, not a boat in trouble because of it ...
Ah, Portugal and fishing boats; two subjects that have seemed to be so closely interwoven for centuries.

Photographing rain is generally an undertaking similar to photographing sub-atomic particles. That is, it's generally a matter of photographing the effects of the rain. Falling rain, itself, is not usually a good (still) photographic subject. Since everyone has experienced rain the best approach is to invoke the viewer's experiential memories by showing the rain's effects on other subjects. For examples:
  • droplet waves in puddles
  • dark, wet stains down walls
  • people with dripping umbrellas
  • the glare of lights off of wet surfaces
  • rain streaking across windows, perhaps looking out onto another subject

Rain, and its effect, is a uniquely universal experience. (Wind is another.) So with respect to your boats you might consider getting much closer and show rain water dripping off of lines or falling out of deck drains.

Here are two modest examples that might help to get your creative juices flowing.
55248153.jpg

61122214.jpg

Antonio Correia

Ken.
Thank you for pointing the right direction to the problem.
Now, in at glimpse I can feel you are right.
Well, as a matter of fact here are 4 of mines which translate very well what you just said.

112893933-M.jpg
112894324-M.jpg
112894852-M.jpg
113294535-M.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kudos to you both!

Windshield with city in bg and the street with lost red hat are wonderful!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
No, I think it is on an inclined side dock used for launching or hauling out small boats. The tide should be low and the other boats are moored in plain deep water
[EDIT] this was an answer to Asher's question:
Picture # 3 is sad! Is that boat broken?

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio,

It's great that you share pictures taken with the effects of bad weather. Rain wind and fog all give a different feeling to the days of bright sunshine and the sunsets of many images we see.

The red hat in in the street, is not a red hat, it's a leaf! However, is a little piece of detail that adds such a lot of interest that perhaps tells something more about the people who were running not long before when it was raining hard and the wind was blowing. As I said before, I really enjoy that picture. Thanks for showing it.

Nicolas, Ships in the mist make very interesting subjects. Sometimes the mist is not uniform and one can see the effect of the wind. Also when there's more than one boat, the depth effect is more pronounced.

I like these pictures since they decrease the mental "stage" in which the subject acts and give special mood.

Thanks again Ken Antonio & Nicolas for sharing.

Asher

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

Asher

Ken Tanaca gave a precious contribute to the question.

Thank him, not me
Anyway, thank you for the nice comment.

More photos will come...