• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Planter

Chris Calohan

Sempervivum tectorum

Working with hard, contrasty light.

8563752612_ac920faa90_o.jpg

Hens & Biddies: Chris Calohan​

Last edited:

Terry Lee

A homage to "Rose & Driftwood"? :)

A pretty darn good one for that matter! You managed to capture the details in the Zone 2 areas, and the zone 6 areas as well...what color were the flowers in real life?

Chris Calohan

A very pale pink, Terry. I shot this solely with the image being a B&W output. There was so much richness to the grain of the wood, the softness, yet nicely lined flower petals and the hardness of the ceramic pot that couldn't be passed up.

I think I might have overdone the detail in the pot on the left side and may go back and retone that area a bit, though there isn't much PP to the shot.

Rose & Driftwood...I know the image well, but not sure when I shot this it was at the top of my mind, though Ansel is rarely too far away at any time amy eye goes to the camera.

Thanks for the comment.

Working with hard, contrasty light.

8563752612_ac920faa90_o.jpg

Hens & Biddies: Chris Calohan​

Chris, the flowers look really great against that very weathered and textured wood. I'm wondering if you considered different crops. The one you did is perfectly fine, but I was thinking of perhaps pairing it down to not include the large strong shadow beneath that right-most flower. Obviously this would mean cutting down extensively from the left and cutting out those 2 flowers. The reason I mention this, is my eye continually goes to the shadow and I'm sure you want our eyes on the flowers against that wonderful eaten in grain of the old wood.
with respect
Maggie