• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First Attempt at Focus Stacking

Chris Calohan

I am disappointed there is not a "Nature" thread which can stand on its own without being a close-up or an animal..can you fix this, Asher?

This is my first attempt at focus stacking.

8569038541_6205a096c0_o.jpg

Old Biddies & Spring Chickens: Chris Calohan​

Antonio Correia

Hello Chris :)

Do you think that it is a good option to show the cactus partly in shadow and partly under direct sun light ?

The stacking is perfect Chris. Are you using any software or just CS to do it ?

The colours under the shadow are very nice :) as they give the real sensation of a cactus full of water...

Chris Calohan

I liked the lighting challenge of shooting both in full sun and good shadow, so I guess the answer is yes.

I am just using CS6 for the stack and blending.

Perhaps this edit helps you with the overpowering light on the right yet allows me the transition from light to dark.

8569184941_8001aab58f_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I liked the lighting challenge of shooting both in full sun and good shadow, so I guess the answer is yes.

I am just using CS6 for the stack and blending.

Perhaps this edit helps you with the overpowering light on the right yet allows me the transition from light to dark.

8569184941_8001aab58f_o.jpg

Chris,

If it's not against your sense of honesty, might it not be worth removing the vertical elements above the center of the array of cactus leaves?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Chris,

The great advantage here is presumably using a narrow depth of field and so knocking the b.g. out. One small issue is that incomplete plants are included at each side. Is that your preference? My approach would be to make sure that the plants adjacent to the last ones are on the top. That we, after clean up of the partial plants, one has complete plants and a margin of darkness which can fit in better. Of course, you might prefer the image as it is!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher always find some kind and "tender" way to say things :)

I do not have that quality. I write/speak too harshly ! It comes from my father... :(

I have seen those verticals lines since the beginning but couldn't say it as I was aleady saying about the light shadow issue.

It is very clear that the last image by Chris is far better than the first one. Chris have even "cut" the vase ! presenting a final clean image.

Good work Chris ! :) :)

Chris Calohan

I am quite pleased with this outcome. As I said to another person earlier today, sometimes it takes more than one set of eyes to see the whole image at its best. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Antonio Correia

I am quite pleased with this outcome. As I said to another person earlier today, sometimes it takes more than one set of eyes to see the whole image at its best. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Indeed Chris... indeed.
When an image is seen by others and they are collaborative and make nice and constructive critiques - like always from Asher and not so often from me - the results are generally improved.

Additionally to this this aspect/procedure when we look at the images a couple of hours or even days ago, more often that not that make us to see things we were not seing before.
Then, we procede to adjustments getting better results.
It may seem redundant but it is not.

Well done Chris, well done. :)

Chris Calohan

Thanks Antonio...a compliment from a master is always appreciated. Also, never worry about being harsh with a critique...anyone that thin-skinned need not post to a forum.

Asher Kelman

It's always a trespass to give nasty criticism to an artist on a finished work in a gallery. On the web, we go from silly praise to destructive bombing, LOL! Here we strive to respect each others goals and originality. In all this, the photographer must be sure of him/herself and protect their concept. So when we succeed, it's satisfying.

BTW, Chris, did you also clone the rim of the pot to make the red continuous, or is this just the crop effect?

Asher

Chris Calohan

I cloned. Earlier this morning, before I saw the posted notes on the newest revision, I played yet again with the image, this time trying to refine the tonality of each color within its relative color temp and where it sits on the color spectrum.

To get there, I had to explore the grayscale of the image first, then use that as a base to create the rest of the image.

Thoughts? Did I go too far, not far enough or like me, do you think it's right where it needs to be?

8571327245_e851524f4a_c.jpg

B&W

8571327343_aa71548ed9_c.jpg

Final: Hens & Biddies​

Asher Kelman

8571327245_e851524f4a_c.jpg

B&W

8571327343_aa71548ed9_c.jpg

Final: Hens & Biddies​

Chris,

With the soft version underneath, look at masking the top layer then going over the edges of each leaf with a 10% black brush in the mask, varying the diameter with each pass until there are no dramatic edges. That way, the image could be even more impressive and seem, at the same time, natural.

Asher

Antonio Correia

My dear Chris... What a fantastic black and white ! I can see you slept well tonight. Have you been dreaming on this image ? :)

I really think - kidding apart - that the monochrome version is far superior than the other one.
Curiously you have "erased" - or made it subtle - the difference between the shadow and the sunny areas. You have cloned - whatever - the background making it darker what makes the cactus pop.
And look at those whites ! How pure they are. Good work Chris, very well.

One little think more. Would you please be kind enough as to try to flip the image horizontally and place both - even smaller - side by side ? I have a guess that...

:)

Chris Calohan

I tried that earlier, Antonio, but because the flower pot was at a slight tilt, flipping the image only added to a more "downward" feel which I didn't think added anything to the overall feel.

8572525450_7b74127a39_h.jpg

Sempervivum tectorum: Chris Calohan​

Antonio Correia

I do like best the flipped version.

And so do I to this symmetry :) :)

How about my canvas ? You should see it with black background !...

Antonio Correia

I was told in another forum this image had no purpose and should be binned...weird.

That depends mainly on the quality of the participants of the forum.

Here we are good guys. However, there are other very good forums out there :)

But as you see Chris, the image - after some work - is a good one. Now, try to integrated it inside a theme IYP :)

Cheers :)