• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

George Holroyd

The Canadian web-zine 180 is currently featuring some of my photos along with answers to a set of interview questions posed by Kim Taylor, the site's owner. 180 is one of many web-zines that I am finding which have open submission policies and seek to regularly publish new work. I have no idea what benefit these virtual (and in some cases, print) exhibits could possibly have, but it is something I will continue to do while I develop my photography. The link to the article is http://180mag.ca/1303/holroyd/holroyd.html, if anyone cares to check it out. I rather like the layout that Kim chose to present my work.

The choice becomes one of shunning the internet for fear of theft, or embracing it in the hope of rising above the noise. Only time will tell. Just yesterday, I found two images of mine on an art web site that offered to sell the work of artists. I sent a note asking the administrator to remove my images and they promptly did. My photos were credited by name but there was no link to my site, nor was there any indication that my work was for sale. I don't like the idea that my photos can magically end up on an e-commerce site without my permission. Frightening.

tumblr_mju1y7xVLc1rxciibo1_500.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Canadian web-zine 180 is currently featuring some of my photos along with answers to a set of interview questions posed by Kim Taylor, the site's owner. 180 is one of many web-zines that I am finding which have open submission policies and seek to regularly publish new work. I have no idea what benefit these virtual (and in some cases, print) exhibits could possibly have, but it is something I will continue to do while I develop my photography. The link to the article is http://180mag.ca/1303/holroyd/holroyd.html, if anyone cares to check it out. I rather like the layout that Kim chose to present my work.

Everyone needs content. Artsy content is even more attractive. Kim has done a good job of presenting your story. No doubt it will raise of a lot of interest and could get you traffic to your own website. Sales comer from a real mortar and brick exhibition or art fair of some kind, (unless you make yourself into a workshop guru and then followers might buy part of you, as a link to eternity).

The choice becomes one of shunning the internet for fear of theft, or embracing it in the hope of rising above the noise.

You can shun the internet if you have a strong gallery already selling your work or if there's such a promise for you. Otherwise, when you have your exhibit, folk will, likely as not, look for you on the net. If you have a presence and are valued for your photography, that could be helpful. (If Christies auctioned your work from last year for $16,000 then that's the best!)

Sure, people will steal whatever is in plain sight and not locked. If you can't stand it, show nothing and live in a monastery and even there, don't think no one will swipe your hot dog or piece of toast.

Otherwise, be active, think well of others, get the good comments, build your name as an interesting artist with something wonderful to offer and so get picked up by a gallery that will create a market for your work. Have patience and recognize who are your friends! :)

Asher