• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flower

Chris Calohan

Trying to decide if I need to apply a bit of blur to the lower right branch to lessen its impact on the flower. To remove it makes the flower float and I find that not particularly tasteful.

8572780265_d2ebd80044_c.jpg

A Single Biddie: Chris Calohan

With Toned down Branch

8572957705_de19577ec8_c.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I agree with this. The branch does nothing to add to the context, and only detracts from the focus of attention - even when toned down.

Robert,

The flower on a black b.g. works very well, given it's perfect geometry. Still, we do not know what lurks in the shadows. Sometimes that can make the image. Not having perfect black I can be remarkable when one gets close to the image and just discerns what's there. That way, the flower approaches from out of darkness and is not embedded in it.

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

The flower on a black b.g. works very well, given it's perfect geometry. Still, we do not know what lurks in the shadows. Sometimes that can make the image. Not having perfect black I can be remarkable when one gets close to the image and just discerns what's there. That way, the flower approaches from out of darkness and is not embedded in it.

Asher
I agree totally and feel that the brown tonality in the background is vital to the shot - - - perhaps that could even be brightened somewhat where subtle form would emerge.

EDIT :

Just for the fun of it - I ran your image through a couple of filters that bring the tonality of the branch in line with the flower - as well, softened the edges a little - and then added some coloring (light leak filters). Now the branch is not objectionable and more of an asset. To me your shot seems like a fake flower image, that can be elaborated on with some post processing.

Here is the online editor that I used if you want to play - http://robertwatcher.com/web/tools/pixlr_express.php

- - - just click on Open URL and enter the url to this image file (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8532/8572780265_d2ebd80044_c.jpg) and have fun.

Copy_8572780265_d2ebd80044_c.jpg

----