• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Door

Chris Calohan

8574875730_112fd632d1_c.jpg

Mustard on Lettuce: Chris Calohan​

Robert Watcher

I love the colours, but do not feel that there is enough of the door showing. Probably the full door with this color combination, would hold our attention more.

------

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
8574875730_112fd632d1_c.jpg

Mustard on Lettuce: Chris Calohan​

Certainly gets ones attention, Chris. I thought it was great until Robert burst that bubble. Of course it's look great as the whole door, especially if someone leans on it!

I still like this idea of looking at part of the door, maybe even much less and not orthogonal!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Sorry to burst a bubble - - - not my intention. I don't feel that the whole door needs to included. I take lots of closeups of doors, but feel there has to be interesting details or textures included along with the colours. In this shot, it may even be more interesting if the full "raised-panel" of the door were included. Or maybe as Asher has suggested, even less showing.

-----

Chris Calohan

When the sun returns, I want to reshoot this door in its entirety then work out what I first saw when I entertained the idea of shooting it at all. Part of me is satisfied with the partial frame, but I have to agree it needs more, something to break the plainess of the plane.

I'm having fun and learning so much more about what I want to shoot. For a long time, my images were void of people and while I will never aspire to be a portrait artist, or even necessarily have whole faces as in the Mechanic, I know now people are going to permeate a lot of what I will shoot in the future. And doors, windows, and other portals.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Maybe it needs a contrasting form to relax it a bit, something amorphous or round or whatever. It's like I'm looking for something that's not there. Even a number or door bell or spider or crack in the wall. Anything!

Michael Nagel

If the color contrast is the main focus I would reduce the section more making the fact that it is a door more of a hint. If it is a door with color contrast I would show the entire door and make it in a way that includes the function as an aspect of what's shown.

Best regards,
Michael

Opinion is cheap so here's mine. The brilliant colours are engaging but not enough to carry the picture as far as it can go.

My rote formula for pictures of doors insists that at least a doorknob or keyhole be included. These things are tickets for the viewer's imagination to open the door and pass through to whatever is on the other side. Another ploy is to have the door slightly ajar. I find that these cheap tricks (cliches?) work more often than they fail.

Robert Watcher

Opinion is cheap so here's mine. The brilliant colours are engaging but not enough to carry the picture as far as it can go.

My rote formula for pictures of doors insists that at least a doorknob or keyhole be included. These things are tickets for the viewer's imagination to open the door and pass through to whatever is on the other side. Another ploy is to have the door slightly ajar. I find that these cheap tricks (cliches?) work more often than they fail.

That is along the lines of how I shoot doors too Maris. A couple of days ago, I passed by this rather bland looking door camouflaged in a wall of the same tonality - but recognized details, pattern, and symmetry that I could isolate and focus on.

I have also included a couple of walls and doors with similar strong colours and contrasts as you have captured - so show how even extra elements can add to their impact.

I'm not saying these are great or that this is how you should shoot - - - but just some practical ideas to visually stimulate you on the possibilities you could look into when you go back and shoot.

20130317-154745.jpg

20130317-154755.jpg

20130120-152210.jpg

20130120-151941.jpg