• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: question about composition

doug anderson

I've been running into people for whom total isolation of the subject seems to be the only way. For example, a car should not be next to the barn, etc. They will go as far as to force the shot in order to exclude everything but the subject. I'm wondering what others think of this. I've supplied a recent shot for discussion.

untitled4849-14849-L.jpg

Similarly, does the music stand detract or anchor the context?

sunken%20garden%202_0166-L.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

For the rest of us, we can do as we please! As long as the image builds the end result that has the right emblems for you working as you find powerful and attractive, our job is free of outside rules. The latter are really hints taken from pictures that worked well on a lot of people, but are not either comprehensive or exclusively necessary. Still, you are hardly that free, my friend! You've given yourself a pretty rigorous the set of esthetic standards by which your compositions must be judged.

This is the quote you have in your signature, after all!

"To take a photograph is to align the head, the eye and the heart. It's a way of life." Cartier-Bresson

That means, (for you, at least), you signed on to this stratagem! So interrogate each part of your picture. Ask them how they each relate to your imaginary set of feelings, gestalt, presence, attraction and thrust your picture should command. So how do you explain all the excess foreground grass, here?

untitled4849-14849-L.jpg

Or the stand, in this one?

sunken%20garden%202_0166-L.jpg

Asher

Asher Kelman

BTW, Doug,

Can you disclose the subjects and or titles of each of these two pictures? How can one know what is extra when we don't know your intent. If you're just recording what was there and what happened that day, each is perfect!

Asher

doug anderson

Asher, the two little girls are in a choir concert at the Hillstead Museum in Farmington, CT. The old barn and silo is on the farm where I photographed all the Llamas.

Asher Kelman

Asher, the two little girls are in a choir concert at the Hillstead Museum in Farmington, CT. The old barn and silo is on the farm where I photographed all the Llamas.

Of course, we can guess that much, but are these pictures just documentary,(in chich case the restrictions of composition don't apply; or else did you have in mind some restricted and artistic concept, in which cases, could you translate that idea to a title for each that would direct us to what's important to you.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*

I agree weith Asher on this one (is that a first, Ash?)
Your statement sums up the intent nicely and the photos accomplish that in all respects. What more can you want? Not every photo has to be analysed to the nth degree. Who gives a **** about the grass. I get it. Others do. Its a barn in a paddock and some girls in a choir. If you want more, do more. Enjoy the pleasure here and be satidfied.