• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Split-prism focusing screens

Is anybody using them these days? I used to use and love them in the days of yore... I mean, film...:)
This company http://www.keoptics.com/ seems to make a nice ones, but I wonder if it's worth the hassle: $105 for a base model, ~$205 for an extra bright with some extra etching...
Waddayasay?

Don Lashier

The Ec-B is only $32.95 and as long as you're using f2.8 lenses I'm not sure the KatzEye would be worth the extra money... but I suppose you're thinking of your 100-400? I've resisted even the canon because it messes with center spot metering.

- DL

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I use a Brightscreen diagonal split screen. I'd love to learn how good anyone else's is. Sometimes I have to turn the camera on the side to find some edge that I can get to split and then focus with.

Since using an M8 rangefinder, the 5D seems crippled for manual focus, LOL!

Asher

Don,

Don Lashier said:
The Ec-B is only $32.95 and as long as you're using f2.8 lenses I'm not sure the KatzEye would be worth the extra money... but I suppose you're thinking of your 100-400? I've resisted even the canon because it messes with center spot metering.

- DL

They claim that "Plus" version work with higher f/values, and yes, I was thinking specifically of TC + 100-400 combo which would become f/5.6-8.
However, you mentioned it screws up spot metering system? That's a bomb..:-(

Alan T. Price

I ordered an Ec-B screen but it hasn't come in yet. I guess Canon was concentrating on the Christmas rush. These things are so uncommon that few shops stock them.

The good news is that it will have no affect on AF operation (different light path is used) and little or no effect on exposure metering other than centre spot metering. You can, however, perhaps use a non-central sensor for spot metering.

At first I thought there was no advantage in using a slit image screen but then I decided that it could be very handy for fine tuning AF results. Mind you, I was biased because my camera (1D2) has been giving me terrible results lately. It should be back from service by the time my focus screen arrives.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I've been using Beattie Intenscreen focusing screens (with the grids and fine-focus center spots) on my 1DsII and 1DII nearly since day 1 with the cameras. They are as bright as the standard Canon screens and do offer a better facility for fine manual focus adjustment. But they are not in the same league with the old film slr split prism screens of "yore". Ah, those were the days of real photo craftsmanship!

Alan,
can you please specify "different light path"?
I'm mostly concerned about central spot metering in 30D.
I was under the impression that the metering system is operating based upon the images it gets off the mirror. And the focusing screen (with the Fresnel prism if there) is the very next thing to the mirror, so if anything, the image should go off the mirror and through the focusing screen. Hence, if the central part of the focusing screen goes dark, it should definitely affect central spot and, therefore, light metering..