• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: The Shard, London '13

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
[After a shocking absence, that is]

Perspectives - The Shard, London '13 - Paul Abbott

Paul,

I'm rejoicing to see your new angular architectural photograph here today. It's alive, bare, layered and modern! Yes, you're still alive and your so disciplined Mojo is in great spritis! But right now, I feel we might need to refresh, a tad, the collective memory here of some of the work you shared over the recent past. Also this will serve to introduce several new members to your work.

@ Everyone :)

Paul's photography is particularly rich in images of buildings, monuments as well as natural landscapes, showing his infatuation with both scenes of mostly rock and stone, the world of man, new and ancient.

A small selection is linked below and then I hope folk will then explore further your work to realize why I consider your contribution worthy of appreciation, so a few links to images I've returned more than once ...........

So Paul,

You're going to travel on the 27th; be safe! Will this mean a pocket camera and holiday snaps or is this at least partly dedicated to photography? I hope we can see new places but also sites everyone seems to "take in", but from your nuanced angles. I also wonder whether you will eschew B&W for the rich colors of the East.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, many thanks for those kind comments and highlighting my stuff and putting it into context...
In this shot I saw and liked the various echoes of the Shard building in the panels and shapes in the middle and on the right side, and even of the little piece of white sky showing through at the bottom centre of the image...

As for my holiday, i'll be taking my camera with just a Tamron F2.8 17-50mm bolted on. I'll be looking at getting some nice jungle foliage/ canopy shots, shots and detail shots of buddhas and boats maybe, temples and the odd statue which are in Krabi town...
I am hoping to get a few colour shots, it would make a change I guess. :) I can never eschew B&W though, Asher...:)

In this shot I saw and liked the various echoes of the Shard building in the panels and shapes in the middle and on the right side, and even of the little piece of white sky showing through at the bottom centre of the image...

Love this image, and actually think that the triangle of white you are talking about at the bottom is what actually makes this work so well. Beautiful!
Maggie

Asher Kelman

One can always do better,

That's so true, but that distinguishes the artist from the perfectionist. The latter can eventually kill his offspring in this obsessional undisciplined uest. The difference between what what can do and should do defines most successful enterprises, like Saddam Hussein blundering into Kuwait or the Israeli's blocking the Marmura by landing on it or the move before the mood on a first time date. :)

In facts, as Leonard Cohen points out,(lyrics), the "Cracks" we complain about a necessary "as that's how the light gets in" We shouldn't be so much in demand for absolute control.

.............but not very likely in this case.

Impressive indeed.

Because of that!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey guys, thanks for your kind comments. I'm really happy that you consider this shot impressive...
I like to think that i've found a unique angle or perspective on the Shard building.

I like what's been said about the 'cracks', so to speak. I love analogy in photos and i'm always on the lookout for it and I believe it's through those cracks that it occurs. :)

Asher Kelman

Hey guys, thanks for your kind comments. I'm really happy that you consider this shot impressive...
I like to think that i've found a unique angle or perspective on the Shard building.

I like what's been said about the 'cracks', so to speak. I love analogy in photos and i'm always on the lookout for it and I believe it's through those cracks that it occurs. :)

Here's the magic, magic song. It's an antidote to all my arrogance, Tom Dinning's self-depreciating humor and European certainty on ethics, morality and our place in the world!

Each of us is particular, with unique flowers, fruit and a few worms, but we are on the branches of one marvelous tree. We can't look up the sky or at our love and want to correct a flaw we see!

"forget your perfect offering, there's crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."

Asher

Here's the magic, magic song. It's an antidote to all my arrogance, Tom Dinning's self-depreciating humor and European certainty on ethics, morality and our place in the world!

Each of us is particular, with unique flowers, fruit and a few worms, but we are on the branches of one marvelous tree. We can't look up the sky or at our love and want to correct a flaw we see!

"forget your perfect offering, there's crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."

Asher
I can't believe you've never noticed my signature...surely you have. ;-)