• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographer's block

Tim Armes

Hi all,

I've not been particularly active here for the last month or two, and one of the reasons is that I'm suffering from a terrible case of "Photographer's block"....

I'm always thinking about Photography. I love Photography. I want to be taking pictures. I know that there are lots of pictures to be taken. Despite all this, I don't have any inspiring ideas - I've bearly touched my beloved camera.

Do many of you have these sorts of blocks from time to time? Can you recommend anything to help break out of them? I saw Michael Brown's post about never saying "I can't" and I intend to go out tonight and find a suject - any subject - to help to break me from this phase of inactivity, however I'm open to all ideas so if you have any then please share them!

Right, it's 4:30pm and I'm now going to leave the office and try to take some images!

Tim

Its Very Simple Get Off Your Bottom and go outside and shoot every thing in site ,then you will ask yourself what am I doing then you will wake up and say ok now lets shoot the flower or tree or building ,etc:,etc:, I know its to easy to say and then to do! there is a great article [ I can"t] writen by on of the moderators here::):):):)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A friend!

Tim, do sometging with someone else so you have a joint method of motivation. It works with excercise. Many people who buy expensive gymn equipment don't use it. They get into a schedule with a friend and it becomes a social thing too.

Maybe you could pick a challenge and I would go and shoot that, if I can and then you would have to add yours.

You are not the first!

Asher

Tim Smith

Or, you could elicit some random suggestions from the group here. Sort of a "virtual assignment". Pick one, publish your choice and then go and do it. Post any pictures that result. I'll even start things off with the following suggestion:

Round

Pretty open-ended and up to your interpretation. Good luck!

Michael Brown

Yep, .... that "block" will sometimes jump right up and bite you in the butt huh? :)
We all get it at some point, and each has to find their own way of working out of it.
There are sometimes other things going on in one's life that could have some effect on their shooting/creativity.
Your bills, your significant other, kids, your job, things happening in the city or country that you live in, ... so many things can cause that "funk" to happen.
Sometimes, it can come from "doubt" about one's work.
(I viewed your work by the way. Nice!!)

One thing that I have discovered with myself personally is this:
If I have a long stretch of good work, some good creativity going within my images, ... and then I take a bit of time away from that creative shooting to work with clients and editing, etc., ... sometimes that will kill that "groove" that I was in and it is hard to pick up where I left off.
It is like the body and brain has built itself up to a point that nothing can stop the creativity, but of course, part of the business in fact, ....... "did"! "The Funk Has Landed"
If I learn to recognize that, most of the time and with a bit of effort, I can adjust and pick back up where I left off.
Sometimes though, ... I simply don't know what the hell hit me and really have to work myself back into that groove.

Now, think about what I mentioned before in regards to "significant other & kids".
With Christmas coming up and the wife and kids at full speed, I found myself the other day with a mental block. I just could not think about what I had to do or what I would like to do because I was following them around like a puppy on a leash and could not get anything going at all.
Well, the kids wanted to go and spend the weekend with their grandparents out in the country, ... so I ran them down there for that weekend visit.
While there, I grabbed the camera and headed outside for some goofing off.
I decided to photograph my dads old antique plow that he just put out in the field. (He put it there for looks)
I had never photographed it from a very low perspective and shooting it through existing grasses and shallow DOF.
The images were fairly decent, but I thought that they were not at their best because my mind really was not in it.
That same night, I had to send some images to the art buyer that I have been working with and thought I would send the shot of that old plow just for fun, and to get their thoughts on a subject such as this.
About 1 hour later the phone rang, and it was the art buyer.
Bingo!
A certain client had been looking for something like this, and wanted more.
Not only did my dad have 1 old antique plow, but a neighbor of theirs collected them, and had 14 of them scattered about their farm.

I am now busy again with some new work in addition to what I needed to finish up, and have some new found interests that I am sure will lead to something else and fresh images.
Once again, the "funk" effects everyone at some point, and there are different ways of getting out of it whether it is something that will come along and inspires you again, or you simply demanding your way out of it.

So anyway, ..... you got the whole world to create from. The world gives you something fresh every single day, ... non stop.
The rest is up to you! :)

** Just noticed that there have been responses to that little piece ("I Can't") that I wrote.
Whoops! (my bad)
Will get to it soon!!

Outta here to get back to work on my website, hopefully ready here in about 2-3 weeks.

See you gang!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Tim
If all above good and fair proposals don't work for you...
Leave your camera in its bag, take your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend for a tour, jump in the car and enjoy the lif and the country around, meet people in bars/restaurant.
For one hour or one day, a week-end or a week or a full month, the more you can afford...
Live your life!
You'll soon want to come back and grab your camera, b'cause you will have find something to report and to share with others, and for this photography is one of the best media!

Hope it REALLY helps...

Tom Henkel

It happens to everyone....

For me, late winter and late summer are the worst times because everything seems kind of bland. The change of scenery in spring and fall often help a lot (not just for outdoor shots but just for imagination in general).

Two things often work well for me:

1. If you have some time, try and go someplace different (not necessarily a vacation, just go someplace you haven't been before). Sometimes a change of scenery helps your imagination a lot.

2. Switch lenses. Whatever lenses you usually carry in your bag, leave them at home and go out with a different collection of lenses. It forces you to work with what you have available and it often gets you thinking differently. If that fails, go for the speciality lenses. A 15mm fish eye and a lensbaby 2.0 often help me.

Tom

Michael Brown

Putting that camera down does help by the way! :)

More stuff:
Long lens landscapes.
Wide angle closeups.
Something I have not tried for years, but the other day, I got some of the wife's old stockings, (yes girls, ... they had runs in them), and shot through them with a shallow depth while cutting away certain areas in front of the lens, etc., ... just to have some fun. Learned something new that day too from the old school style of shooting!
Or, ... a very low perspective while shooting blades of grass with a shallow DOF, ... at night with candle light. Learned something then too!

I even shot nails and screws in a clear jar of maple syrup with strong backlighting the other day.
Don't ask!!!! (the client wanted something really goofy, ... yet cool looking!)

If a door is closed and you have to get to the other room, ... well, you know how to get there.
Same with one's photography.
Sometimes the door might be a little stuck.
Just yank it!

Tim Armes

Thanks

Thank you all for your great responses.

The general consensus is just to get out there and do something. Anything. That's now my plan.

I've already tried leaving my camera along for a while, but I think that's made things worse. A change of scenery is also a good idea, I think that I could do with that too.

Thanks again!

Tim

nicolas claris

Hi Tim
during these days dedicated to whishes, I was wondering if you could use your camera again with good creativity and sensitivity...
I wish you have, and will unblock your "Photographer's block"!

All the best

Harvey Moore

I posted this in a small Photo Group Site that I hang out in:

While looking for my "Compleat Edgar Allen Poe" book, I ran across a paperback version of "Tao Te Ching" that I picked up in a second hand store for $2.50 couple of years ago. Link at the end of this post.

This book is illustrated with ethereal B/W photographs.

I found this book to be a subtle inspiration to my photographic "minds eye"

Example from the book:

"Thirty spokes share the wheels hub;
It is the center hole that makes it useful.

Shape clay into a vessel;
It is the space within that makes it useful.

Cut doors and windows for a room;
It is the holes which make it useful.

Therefore profit comes from what is there;
Usefulness from what is not there."

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Ching-25th-Anniversary-Lao-Tsu/dp/0679776192

Addendum: my 50L 1.2 arrived last Friday evening and I have cabin fever from doing indoor tests and practicing f1.2 focus techniques. I am very pleased with this new lens, the tests have met my expectations, and now off to find "what is not there" and photograph its surroundings. Using the 50L :) .....and anything else that pops up along the way.

ian sanderson

Bonjour Tim

I am coming in a bit late but I think it is important to remember that not taking photographs is also part of being a photographer, the process is much more important than the product. Just because you are pushing the shutter does not mean you are doing anything worthwhile, you only have to surf the net for a few minutes to see that. For me the the vast majority of my best images were never taken due to one reason or another, but they are still logged in my mind and have become references for the future. The advice from Nicolas was right, do something else, use your eyes for a change and not your camera. The images are still there

Ray West

Hi Tim,

and the real beauty of taking virtual pictures is - you can use gear you haven't got, in places you will never be, of folk you will never meet.

More coffeeeeee.

Best wishes,

Ray

Tim Armes

Thanks for all your words of encouragement.

I've now found myself a project to get my teeth into. It'll probably take me a year to complete; I may post pictures along the way for comment.

All the best,

Tim

nicolas claris

Tim Armes said:
I've now found myself a project to get my teeth into.
Hi Tim
This is probably one of the best wish that you could have dreamed for the new year!
I'm glad for you! but be aware for your teeth! dentists are not always that "smooth"... ;-)

I'm sure we'll enjoy your future posted images, but you're teasing us, what the piece of cake is about?