• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

On the meaning of meaning

Doug Kerr

Often I will encounter a photo, or a painting, or a piece of sculpture, or a musical performance, and find it to be "delightful" without knowing anything about the artist, or the subject, or the circumstances. It has a value to me in its own right.

Yet if it is accompanied by such background that typically adds another layer of value to me. And I will often, when such is not provided, go to considerable length to dig some of that out. How did that locomotive get into that museum, and why does its air brake line hose seem to be on the wrong side?

Did you know that one musical theme that appears in the scores of two World War 2 submarine movies made in the early 1950s, one score credited to Max Steiner and the other not, was originally written by Steiner in 1934 for a submarine movie ("Submarine D-1"), was later used in his score for the film "Dive Bomber" (1937), and was later given lyrics by Gus Kahn ("We watch the skyways") so Daffy Duck, as a pilot, could sing it in an extended Loony Tunes cartoon?

Well, I spent much of last night finding that out. (And I had been after the back story of that musical theme for over 25 years!)​
I continue to be so impressed by the continuing, and even accelerating, wealth of photographic work presented here. Much of it is in fact accompanied by the "extra value" of the story of the subject, or the event, or how it came to be photographed.

What I find less valuable - in fact, sometimes repellent - is the escalating attention given to taxonomy - what is art, and what is fine art, and what is street photography, and what are HDR images. Or discussions of "can a photograph have value if we don't know the intent of the photographer."

Now if it had been discovered in the translation of a newly-discovered document that the early Greek astronomers used a previous-unknown tool called a "goniotran", and we wanted to know what that actually was, that would be a worthwhile investigation.

But as to these other matters, I remind you of my recurrent question: "If we can agree on what 'fine art' is, what can we do with that knowledge?" Perhaps it helps us to know in which division of the State Fair to submit a piece of our work.

These debates are not just fruitless. They seem to, much more than debates over actual substantive issues, to bring out some of the worst in us, to provoke character assassination, to lead to attacks on positions never actually said.

This situation is parallel to the sad situation in the governance of the United States, where the United States Congress has been transmogrified from an actual governing body into the arena in which a new sport league, with only two teams, holds fights to the death, no holds barred, for an unclear prize.

But maybe some day that will become an Olympic event. And even later, so might be the sport of arguing over "what is street photography".

Carla reminds me that when I was younger (maybe 62), when photographing marching bands, I would often lie in the street to get a needed perspective. She says she is glad that I outgrew street photography.

Now to breakfast.

Best regards,

Doug

Robert Watcher

I tend to agree with your way of discussing, exploring and viewing photographic images, Doug. But I also recognize that other people love to analyze, categorize, know meanings and intentions and many just like to talk to feel like they are a part of what is going on. Nothing wrong with that either though.

For me - I simply love taking pictures of whatever is in front of me whether sought out or found by chance. If there is a story that enhances the image or set of images, I may include that for those who care. And it is satisfying that the more experienced I become as a result of shooting hundreds of thousands of purposeful and thoughtful images over many years, that it is getting almost effortless to find subject matter and create images that people enjoy viewing, hanging on their walls, sharing around the web or placing in their iPads.

When I feel the need to photograph, I have always had a motto of "just get out and do it" regardless of what gear, preparedness or subject matter I might have at any given moment. Just do it! That approach has served me well in both my professional and personal photographic endeavors. Others of course find equal success in putting great effort into making sure everything is perfect or has a reason, before they shoot. Both and all in between work.

I think it is just that some of us don't want to feel forced into complying to an expected standard - and others need or try to understand those standards, to validate the success of their photography. Our approach probably has as much to do with our makeup and the way we make choices in all things in life. Thank goodness we're all different. :)

-------

Jerome Marot

But as to these other matters, I remind you of my recurrent question: "If we can agree on what 'fine art' is, what can we do with that knowledge?"

That is a fair question, Doug. It deserves and answer.

I am not interested in defining what "fine art" is. I already have a working definition which suits my needs: "art is what hangs in a museum".

What I am interested in is something completely different. If I take a sample of one billion pictures and show them to one billion humans (no big numbers, this is what the Internet is doing now), I find out that a limited number is vastly more popular than the rest. Now, there is some "noise" in that measurement, there are some pictures which are popular for the wrong reasons (say, because of a recent event or because there is a clique of people who over-publish them), but after a few decades, when things set down, I find out that a limited set of pictures keep being chosen over and over again. Many people find themselves attracted to them.

The human brain is a wonderful thing. It comes with a complete set of rules dating back to the reptiles, adds the complexities necessary for a social animal and then more, not all of which being conscious and rational. And because I am interested in the response of vast sets of people to vast sets of pictures, I am interested in effects coming from that unconscious and irrational part of the human brain. Out of this vast set, what makes a large number of people feel attracted to this picture and not that one? In a nutshell, that is the question I am interested in. Now, we could call that limited set of pictures "art" if the measurement was without noise and if that word was not already used for what hangs in a museum.

This is the real question. Now, do I need to explain to you what we could do with the answer or can you come up with some ideas yourself. I'll give you a hint (and I apologize in advance to Asher for it):

lenny.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

That is a fair question, Doug. It deserves and answer.

•••

This is the real question. Now, do I need to explain to you what we could do with the answer . . .

Jerome, I very much enjoy your insights into many things. But no, I do not need you to explain anything to me.

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Dear Doug,

I have come to know you as a man who pays great attention to naming things correctly and precisely, a trait I respect very much. It is for a reason that you use your crayon rouge very effectively. That is why I was surprised that you found a discussion on the definitions of taxanomy to be less valuable (lesser than what?).

I fully agree with you that debates are fruitles when they are conducted for the sake of having a debate. And the last thing we want to have is turning them into character attacks. Honestly, I couldn't care less if a photograph falls into this category or the other. In my own defense,I did not start the thread on the meaning of street photography to reach an impossible definition of what it should be. I have asked the question why most people seem to think that a certain look should apply to the so-called street photography. And I asked what street photography meant to them within that context, because I was genuinely curious about it. Not because I was trying to fire up an endless debate.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Dear Doug,

I have come to know you as a man who pays great attention to naming things correctly and precisely, a trait I respect very much. It is for a reason that you use your crayon rouge very effectively. That is why I was surprised that you found a discussion on the definitions of taxanomy to be less valuable (lesser than what?).

"Less valuable" than what I described earlier. (Yes, my syntax was not really that great!)

I should have stuck with just "repellent".

Yes, I favor having accurate terms to describe things.

My displeasure is with the expenditure of considerable effort in the quest for accurate terms for not-things.

Here we start with a name, and try to characterize a thing that it describes. Just what is hassenpfeffer? What is "really fine"?

It's like one of those games in which we are given the answer and have to give the question.

My favorite:

Answer: 9 W

Question: Do you spell that with a "V", Herr Wagner?​
Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

One-half inch short of art art (hanging at a museum, but on the outside of the door):

Space_Museum_F34111-01-C1-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: One half inch short of art​

Definitely art (hanging, in a museum):

Space_Museum_F34125-01-C1-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Definitely art​

Not even close to art (in a museum, but not hanging):

Space_Museum_F34119-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Not even close to art​

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

Not as sad as you would believe. I am not taking that definition as seriously as you appear to think. Still: it is a workable and very convenient definition and I can't say the same for the other definitions that I have read on the forum recently.

In other words: that definition is more an acknowledgement that I am not the one to define "art", the society is (and museum directors, critics, etc.. are proxies). So what? I can still define what I find beautiful or what moves me.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Meaning is only approached!

Not as sad as you would believe. I am not taking that definition as seriously as you appear to think. Still: it is a workable and very convenient definition and I can't say the same for the other definitions that I have read on the forum recently.

In other words: that definition is more an acknowledgement that I am not the one to define "art", the society is (and museum directors, critics, etc.. are proxies). So what? I can still define what I find beautiful or what moves me.

Let me preface my comment by the assertion that the meaning of all words is enclosed in loose boundaries of metaphor. No word escapes. So art cannot be exactly defined without any ambiguity. I believe the best analogy to approach understanding what art might be is to examine the idea of "water". We can look for water and find it's what's in a swimming pool, rivers, the toilet bowl, comes out of the tap, is in a bottle on the shelf of a supermarket, labelled, "water" and can be distilled from blood, rotting flesh or sewage.

Likewise for art. The art museum contains obvious art like the swimming pool holds sparkling water, but also filtered. Water, like art, seeps into every part of our life. There's almost no object in the planet devoid of some water. Same with art! Art is a characteristic of human appreciation of what we discover around us and what we make to give similar or stronger responses. But for shorthand, if we want to show what water is, we'd splash in a swimming pool, turn or a faucet, flush the toilet or suck on an ice cube. We'd get a good sense of what is but they'd always be more to discover, since water seeps in everywhere.

For me personally, the answer to "What fine art might be?", (to me and to others), has relevance as I wish others to enjoy what I make as art, recognized specifically under that category of objects offered to others.

Declaring that a locomotive is "art" is fine by me. I can agree. However, it has no practical use for my work as I have no wish to make a locomotive nor a place to put it, however beautiful. I'm more interested in art that folk might seek out, transport readily and come to purchase or appreciate as a gift to enjoy. For that, the photograph, sculpture and painting fit more readily into my capabilities, resources and creative vision.

As to definitions, these can only be "working definitions" of use to know what one intends to make, buy or show and to attempt to explain why some offerings work and others do not. I've done that for myself. If my ideas also have use to anyone else, I'm happy.

Asher

Let me preface my comment by the assertion that the meaning of all words is enclosed in loose boundaries of metaphor. No word escapes. So art cannot be exactly defined without any ambiguity.

As to definitions, these can only be "working definitions" of use to know what one intends to make, buy or show and to attempt to explain why some offerings work and others do not. I've done that for myself. If my ideas also have use to anyone else, I'm happy.

Asher

Another way of thinking about the 'fine art' versus 'other art' or 'lesser art' distinctions is the psychometric approach. Here's a hypothetical example.

Suppose we obtain a range of previously unknown photographs (or any other category of art object) than span the conceivable spectrum for that kind of art. Suppose we have different categories of expert in that domain of art. These categories might include (1) gallery owners and museum curators, (2) art critics from academic and media circles, (3) professional artists and art teachers, (4) advanced hobbyists. Suppose we ask these experts a range of questions about each art object. For now I'll refer only to one: Do you consider this photograph to be an example of 'fine art'? The response scale might be a simple dichotomy ('Yes' or 'No') or an ordinal continuum (e.g., 'Definitely Not' to 'Most Definitely').

Suppose we find high correlations between responses in all groups of experts. Then we can infer that the term 'fine art' has reliable meaning for most people with expertise in photography. On the other hand, an absence of correlation would indicate a lack of consensual meaning in that group or groups - in other words, the term 'fine art' is collectively meaningless to them.

Other questions asked of the respondents might relate to the validity of the distinctions between types of art. Validity means usefulness in this context. For example, photographs reliably rated as belonging to a 'fine art' category might also be considered 'worthy of being exhibited', 'likely to command a high purchase cost', or whatever. However, an important principle in both psychometric theory and practice is that high reliability is always a precondition for adequate validity. In other words, unless there is consensual agreement on what 'fine art' is, the term is unlikely to be useful.

What I'm getting at here is that we can argue forever about the meaning of 'fine art' when based on different premises and conceptualizations about art. To me, that discourse is no less futile than the classic philosophic example of how many angels can sit on a pinhead. We've had a century of so of psychometric thinking that has given us one approach among several that could resolve these issues from a pragmatic rather than conceptual perspective. What holds the 'art establishments' back from putting them into practice? Money for sure, but maybe pragmatic determinacy would undermine well-articulated opinions as dominant criteria for proclaiming expertise. What then would we have to argue about? :)

Cheers, Michael.

Asher Kelman

Suppose we have different categories of expert in that domain of art. These categories might include (1) gallery owners and museum curators, (2) art critics from academic and media circles, (3) professional artists and art teachers, (4) advanced hobbyists. Suppose we ask these experts a range of questions about each art object. For now I'll refer only to one: Do you consider this photograph to be an example of 'fine art'? The response scale might be a simple dichotomy ('Yes' or 'No') or an ordinal continuum (e.g., 'Definitely Not' to 'Most Definitely').

Michael,

The testing, although interesting and an advance, would surely be sampling current thoughts in our society. It wouldn't necessarily match a test done 50 years ago or 50 years hence, as there's so much influence of what's fashionable.

I'd rather stick to the water analogy (where swimming pools and rivers are containers or avenues for water). So homes, galleries and museums can be imagined as "containers" or "avenues" where examples of art, (de facto, worthy of collection, can be found. That's so pragmatic and would work 100 years from now.

Asher

Michael,

The testing, although interesting and an advance, would surely be sampling current thoughts in our society. It wouldn't necessarily match a test done 50 years ago or 50 years hence, as there's so much influence of what's fashionable.

I'd rather stick to the water analogy (where swimming pools and rivers are containers or avenues for water). So homes, galleries and museums can be imagined as "containers" or "avenues" where examples of art, (de facto, worthy of collection, can be found. That's so pragmatic and would work 100 years from now.

Asher

It's past bewitching hour, Asher, so forgive the brevity of this reply. The distinction in question was between 'fine art' and 'other art'. I think you're on dodgy ground by making the 'container' the main criterion for 'fine art'. The photos in many homes include pictures of the latest rock groups, football teams, and other content that few 'experts' would consider 'fine art'. The same with galleries that peddle local scenes for tourists, etc. To push the analogy further, a frame is a container for a photo, but the elegance or otherwise of the frame does nothing to indicate the kind or quality of the art within it. That's a problem for the metaphorical approach to definition: it's too imprecise to denote meaning.

You're right, though, that a psychometric approach relates to meaning during a given period of time. But isn't that as it should be? If 'fine art' refers to high quality, then what is considered quality is bound to change over time. What's important is whether or not those involved in the process can agree on what constitutes quality during that period. If they agree, great, they can communicate and plan effectively for their particular function in the art world. If they show little agreement, nobody can differentiate the best art from lesser art and persuasive sharks reap the main rewards.

The containers change over time, too. Once it was churches, now it's galleries, maybe soon it'll be Amazon.com and the i-tunes store. Maybe OPFI will become the topmost container for photographic art. Wouldn't that be great. :) To get a head start on making it so, better brush up on your psychometrics.

Cheers, Michael.

Asher Kelman

It's past bewitching hour, Asher, so forgive the brevity of this reply. The distinction in question was between 'fine art' and 'other art'. I think you're on dodgy ground by making the 'container' the main criterion for 'fine art'. The photos in many homes include pictures of the latest rock groups, football teams, and other content that few 'experts' would consider 'fine art'. The same with galleries that peddle local scenes for tourists, etc. To push the analogy further, a frame is a container for a photo, but the elegance or otherwise of the frame does nothing to indicate the kind or quality of the art within it. That's a problem for the metaphorical approach to definition: it's too imprecise to denote meaning.

You're right, though, that a psychometric approach relates to meaning during a given period of time. But isn't that as it should be? If 'fine art' refers to high quality, then what is considered quality is bound to change over time. What's important is whether or not those involved in the process can agree on what constitutes quality during that period. If they agree, great, they can communicate and plan effectively for their particular function in the art world. If they show little agreement, nobody can differentiate the best art from lesser art and persuasive sharks reap the main rewards.

The containers change over time, too. Once it was churches, now it's galleries, maybe soon it'll be Amazon.com and the i-tunes store. Maybe OPFI will become the topmost container for photographic art. Wouldn't that be great. :) To get a head start on making it so, better brush up on your psychometrics.

Cheers, Michael.

I'm in. But I think we'd have to exclude major work by known iconic figures? Or how does one deal with that contradiction to working within the fashions of our times?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Our principal interest here is in the phrase "fine art" as applied to photography. And perhaps that field deserves its own "meaning" (or at least refinement) of the term.

In any case, it is interesting, in the Wikipedia article on Fine-Art Photography, to review the collection of definitions, drawn from various contexts, that is presented:

List of definitions

Here is a list of definitions of the related terms "art photography", "artistic photography", and "fine art photography", as exemplified by definitions found in reference books, in scholarly articles, and on the Internet.

In reference books

Among the definitions that can be found in reference books are:

"Art photography": "Photography that is done as a fine art -- that is, done to express the artist's perceptions and emotions and to share them with others".

"Fine art photography": "A picture that is produced for sale or display rather than one that is produced in response to a commercial commission".

"Fine art photography": "The production of images to fulfill the creative vision of a photographer. ... Synonymous with art photography".

"Art photography": A definition "is elusive," but "when photographers refer to it, they have in mind the photographs seen in magazines such as American Photo, Popular Photography, and Print, and in salons and exhibitions. Art (or artful) photography is salable.".

"Artistic photography": "A frequently used but somewhat vague term. The idea underlying it is that the producer of a given picture has aimed at something more than a merely realistic rendering of the subject, and has attempted to convey a personal impression".

"Fine art photography": Also called "decor photography," "photo decor," or "wall decor," this "involves selling large photos... that can be used as wall art".

In scholarly articles

Among the definitions that can be found in scholarly articles are:

In 1961, Dr S.D.Jouhar founded the Photographic Fine Art Association, and he was its Chairman. Their definition of Fine Art was “Creating images that evoke emotion by a photographic process in which one's mind and imagination are freely but competently exercised.”

Two studies by Christopherson in 1974 defined "fine art photographers" as "those persons who create and distribute photographs specifically as 'art.'"

A 1986 ethnographic and historical study by Schwartz did not directly define "fine art photography" but did compare it with "camera club photography". It found that fine art photography "is tied to other media" such as painting; "responds to its own history and traditions" (as opposed to "aspir[ing] to the same achievements made by their predecessors"); "has its own vocabulary"; "conveys ideas" (e.g., "concern with form supersedes concern with subject matter"); "is innovative"; "is personal"; "is a lifestyle"; and "participates in the world of commerce."

On the World Wide Web

Among the definitions that can be found on the World Wide Web are:

The Library of Congress Subject Headings use "art photography" as "photography of art," and "artistic photography" (i.e., "Photography, artistic") as "photography as a fine art, including aesthetic theory".

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus states that "fine art photography" (preferred term) or "art photography" or "artistic photography" is "the movement in England and the United States, from around 1890 into the early 20th century, which promoted various aesthetic approaches. Historically, has sometimes been applied to any photography whose intention is aesthetic, as distinguished from scientific, commercial, or journalistic; for this meaning, use 'photography'".

Definitions of "fine art photography" on photographers' static Web pages vary from "the subset of fine art that is created with a camera" to "limited-reproduction photography, using materials and techniques that will outlive the artist".​

If I were to subscribe to the questionable conceit that a definition of "fine art photography" is useful, then I think I would subscribe to the concept that it refers to photography where the intent is to provide a work product whose principal value is of an æsthetic nature; that is, as contrasted to photography where the value of the work product is in showing something (possibly for record purposes), or helping to explain something.

There is of course ample room for overlap in that matter.

I do not ascribe to the term the implication that it reflects some level of "quality" of the work, or some measure of its value, whether in the sense of a market value or in come other sense of the word.

There is mediocre, or bad, fine art photography, just as there is mediocre, or bad, forensic photography, or illustrative photography, or casual family photography.

Stepping back from photography in particular, it is interesting to reflect on this from the Wikipedia article on Fine Art:

Fine art, from the 17th century on, has meant art forms developed primarily for aesthetics, distinguishing them from applied arts that also have to serve some practical function. Historically, the five main fine arts were painting, sculpture, architecture, music and poetry, with minor arts including theater and dance. Today, the fine arts commonly include additional forms, including film, photography, conceptual art, and printmaking. However, in some institutes of learning or in museums, fine art and frequently the term fine arts (pl.) as well, are associated exclusively with visual art forms.​

Next week: the meaning of diameter.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug,

Of course "Fine Art Photography" is useful. That's self evident. It's a term that works well for a lot of museums, collectors and galleries. No one says anything about skill, taste or quality. These are assumed, never proven. It's the people and places that, like the swimming pools, rivers and faucets for "water" provide a "gestalt" practical working knowledge of what one will find there.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Of course "Fine Art Photography" is useful. That's self evident.
Ah, a wonderful property for a thing to have, self-evidenture.

It's a term that works well for a lot of museums, collectors and galleries.
Well, if it works for them, it should certainly be useful to us.

For example, if we see that the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas is hosting an exhibit of fine art photography, we will know just what to expect. But what if the notice says only photography (some Ansel Adams, perhaps, or Georgia O'Keefe)?

Or if we read in the Alamogordo Police Blotter that the yield of a home burglary included three gas grills, a half-cord of split piñon, and some fine art photography, we'll know how to feel about it.

So, what image magnification must an image have to qualify as "macrophotography"? 1.0 (1:1)? Like an image of a high-heeled shoe filling an 8" x 10" frame?

Isn't it curious that when we take a picture of a large object (my car, perhaps), that is not macrophotography?

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Ah, a wonderful property for a thing to have, self-evidenture.

Well, if it works for them, it should certainly be useful to us.

Doug,

It may not be useful to you. That alters nothing about it's functional everyday utility for those who benefit from using that term. Whether it's "Photography" or "Fine Art Photography", the location and people involved provide enough extra information to the community seeking out such work, that no more accurate definition is required. Photography at MOCA or LACMA will draw in the folk as will fine Art Photography in a small gallery known for the type of work they sell.

For example, if we see that the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas is hosting an exhibit of fine art photography, we will know just what to expect. But what if the notice says only photography (some Ansel Adams, perhaps, or Georgia O'Keefe)?

I'd imagine the gallery has a great reputation, so naming such artists in this example would not even require the word "Photography".

Or if we read in the Alamogordo Police Blotter that the yield of a home burglary included three gas grills, a half-cord of split piñon, and some fine art photography, we'll know how to feel about it.

Unless the pictures stolen were known to be iconic, who'd care whatever they were called!! Rather the fact of the break in with consequent physical danger to the residents is all we'd worry about. The natural reaction is not what pictures were taken, rather was anyone hurt and what's the risk to the rest of us?

Asher

Our principal interest here is in the phrase "fine art" as applied to photography. And perhaps that field deserves its own "meaning" (or at least refinement) of the term.

I do not ascribe to the term the implication that it reflects some level of "quality" of the work, or some measure of its value, whether in the sense of a market value or in come other sense of the word.

There is mediocre, or bad, fine art photography, just as there is mediocre, or bad, forensic photography, or illustrative photography, or casual family photography.

Doug

It's hard to disagree with Doug that high quality shouldn't be a defining property of 'fine art photography' but some evidence suggests otherwise, at least on OPFI. We have forum titled Still Photography: Approaching Fine Photography (my italics) and another titled Photography as Art that is intended to contain 'Work the photographer believes might command artistic value beyond their own circle" (my italics) If those two titles don't imply distinctions in claimed quality, what does?

Doug provided examples of definitions that also imply claimed quality as an attribute of fine art photography. For brevity, I'll include only two.

In 1961, Dr S.D.Jouhar founded the Photographic Fine Art Association, and he was its Chairman. Their definition of Fine Art was “Creating images that evoke emotion by a photographic process in which one's mind and imagination are freely but competently exercised.”

A 1986 ethnographic and historical study by Schwartz did not directly define "fine art photography" but did compare it with "camera club photography".

Doug

The first states that fine photography "evoke emotion ... in which one's mind and imagination are freely but competently exercised.” Therefore, photography that falls outside this category presumably either does not evoke any emotion or does so with the mind and imagination restricted or incompetently exercised. Duh!

The second disparages "camera club photography" by way of comparison. A lesson for all budding fine art photographers is to state solemnly and on oath that "I am not, have never been, and will never be a member of a Camera Club." Otherwise, you never gain admission to the Photographic Fine Arts Association :) Just kidding, of course.

The point I'm trying to make is that if fine art photography is a viable term, it should have consensual meaning. The preceding examples and others described by Doug provide little evidence that the meaning is consensual or built on sensible foundations. The term fine to most of us connotes excellence as distinguished from the the ordinary. It may be that Photography with Aesthetic Intent provides a more accurate depiction of content that falls within this category, but strongly suspect that Fine Art Photography was chosen because of connotations of excellence, whether deserved or not.

Cheers, Mike.

Cem_Usakligil

I think that this thread took an unexpected turn. The original premise of Doug was that it was a futile exercise to have a debate in order to reach a consensus on the definitions of, among others, fine art. And lo and behold, we are now doing exactly that. A little ironic, isn't it?

Doug Kerr

It is interesting that the Indianapolis Museum of Art indicates that it has exhibits and collections of Modern, African, and Fine art.

So I guess fine art must be . . ..

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

The point I'm trying to make is that if fine art photography is a viable term, it should have consensual meaning. The preceding examples and others described by Doug provide little evidence that the meaning is consensual or built on sensible foundations. The term fine to most of us connotes excellence as distinguished from the the ordinary. It may be that Photography with Aesthetic Intent provides a more accurate depiction of content that falls within this category, but strongly suspect that Fine Art Photography was chosen because of connotations of excellence, whether deserved or not.

Michael,

I believe that you have closely approached the sense of the term "Fine Art Photography" with the offering of Photography with Aesthetic Intent , except that intent might be that of the artist or the curator of the work. So it might be esthetic intent of making the picture or of it's exhibition.

Our section of "Still Photography" is designed as an entrance point for photographers who might make pictures aimed at such an end purpose.

Fine Art is a contention and aspiration, not a an objective parameter. The idea is that I might be making a picture which others could value highly for showing or collecting as if it was already part of a collection known for it's esthetic value. The same applies to the gallerist who shows the work.

Asher

Doug Kerr

The traditional use of the term "fine arts" was to identify activities with a visual result as distinguished, for example, from the art of plowing, the art of medicine, the art of locomotive valve design, or the art of negotiation. Later, works with a "dramatic" product (acting) or an aural product (singing, the playing of musical instruments) came to be embraced.

Perhaps the greatest utilization of the term came with its use to delineate one "department" or "division" of a university - the one in which they taught drawing, and painting, and musical performance, and topics related to the understanding and appreciation of such "art forms".

Was engineering drafting "art"? Many thought it was. But certainly not "fine art". How do we know? Because it was not taught in the Fine Arts Department.

So does "utlity" nullify "art-ness"? Architects and industrial designers would certainly disagree. Does utility nullify fine-art-ness?

To some, this would be art (mediocre, indeed):

23-B_F38825-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Oliie with her tongue out

and this perhaps not:

23-B_F38825-01A2-S800.jpg

LAB-DR38825
Oliver 23-type plow tongue assembly and steering system
Prepared by: Douglas A. Kerr, P.E. (Ret.):​

Is the first one "fine art"? Why would I care?

If I decided it was, I might be able to sell it to a gallery (not likely).

That's really what we are talking about here, isn't it?​

Or maybe win a prize at the county fair (not likely).

If I decided is was not, I might be able to sell it to a gallery (not likely). Or maybe win a prize at the county fair (not likely).

Perhaps the best insight into all this is the famous motto of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, ars gratia artis (usually translated as "art for the sake of art"). Well, how's that for hypocrisy!

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Fine Art is a contention and aspiration, not a an objective parameter. The idea is that I might be making a picture which others could value highly for showing or collecting as if it was already part of a collection known for it's esthetic value. The same applies to the gallerist who shows the work.

Makes sense to me.

Best regards,

Doug