• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Reclamation

Chris Calohan

8925689879_5251309cd4_o.jpg

And the Sea Marches On: Chris calohan​

Chris Calohan

I take all compliments with great gratitude, but when I get them from those whom I feel have mastered light and tone with such a deft touch, I am especially flattered. Thanks, Cem

Chris Calohan

Two exposures: one for the sky, one for water and foreground...a little overlapping in the masking process. That was the easy part.

I start with a color image, use the B&W adjustment tool and slide the blue slider all the way to the right..or pretty close to there.

Essentially, I make a contrast layer and really push the contrast hard to the right, then I make two exposure layers, one overexposed by + 1x and one under, generally somewhere in the - 2.5x and set the layer mask color to white as this becomes a subtractive process.

Going from hightlight adjustment to shadow adjustment, back and forth for lots of hours, you build your tonal range by subtracting either the over or underexposed areas. In the end, the contrast is slightly adjusted back to a more mid-range value.

It's quite tedious but if any of you are familiar with David Byrne's work, you'll see how much depth can be achieved using this method.

http://www.85mm.co.uk/

This is a detail of the bottom right corner.

8927116076_bd8ee0a035_o.jpg

Wow, Chris, this seriously looks amazing. Looks like it took a lot of work, but definitely worth it!
Congratulations on such a beautiful work
Maggie

Chris Calohan

Thanks, Maggie. About five hours work...in small increments to keep my eyes intact. Some of David Byrne's work takes three to four times that amount of time but he also often interjects different skies into his work.