• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

'Seacrest' - Staithes, Yorkshire

Paul Abbott

Staithes is a beautiful fishing village with cobble-stone streets located on the east coast of Yorkshire...

'Seacrest' - Staithes, Yorkshire '13 - Paul Abbott

Michael Nagel

Paul,

I like the tones and I like the framing, but still - it makes me want to see what up these stairs.
Maybe that's just me.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Staithes is a beautiful fishing village with cobble-stone streets located on the east coast of Yorkshire...

'Seacrest' - Staithes, Yorkshire '13 - Paul Abbott

Paul,

I like the patina on the white wall and the suggestions that this has been remodeled over the years, so it has evolved with the village. The attic window architecture looks like an add-on. It seems like there could be another street up those stairs. Looking forward to more pictures of this village.

Asher

Asher

Paul Abbott

As for what's past those stairs didn't interest me at all, it were just a parade of stores down an un-photogenic street...
Some areas of this place are worth coming back at a different time, if only for better light. I was there late afternoon and I didn't expect to have every street or back street availing itself to me in good light...:)

Here's another, split-toned...

Rooftops - Staithes, Yorkshire '13 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

As for what's past those stairs didn't interest me at all, it were just a parade of stores down an un-photogenic street...
Some areas of this place are worth coming back at a different time, if only for better light. I was there late afternoon and I didn't expect to have every street or back street availing itself to me in good light...:)

Here's another, split-toned...

Rooftops - Staithes, Yorkshire '13 - Paul Abbott

Paul,

You have to get Nicolas to lend you his helicopter and take this coming in from the sea!

Asher

Asher Kelman

...and a long lens or two to back me up if that's the case, Asher. :)

Paul,

It's the sea and cliffs that work so well with the repeats of the houses. I'd love to have the chance to take a picture even from high on the rocks.

I like the juxtapostion of old smaller buildings with landscape or the water as one gets a meeting of nature and man.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, this place is very up and down, it has a lot of hills and cliffs, I think you'd be really at home here then, photographically speaking. :)

Here is another shot taken from a very steep sloping street and overlooking the river that runs down a little way towards the estuary. This is more of a document and I was happy to catch these kids playing on the river in the late afternoon...

Riverside Allotments - Staithes, Yorkshire '13 - Paul Abbott

Paul Abbott

I don't use anything too fancy...LR2. I adjust the saturation sliders to 0 and then play around with the shadows and highlights if need be. I don't usually touch the contrast slider.

Martin Stephens

SEACREST - -

That's nearly perfect. What a beautiful light on that wall and staircase. Plenty of content and nicely arranged. Fun to look at.