• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bow Lock, London '13

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Canal lock gates at Bromley-by-Bow in the east-end of London...

Bow Lock, London '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

Paul,

What a fabulous case of life imitating art! This si reminds me of the works off Escher with the repeated rectangular forms offset and the motif of staircases disobeying logic.

Asher

Asher Kelman

RICOH GR

Paul,

You've always has an eye for that great angle to energize a scene, but here you've laid out geometry that's remarkable! What a fabulous case of life imitating art! This so reminds me of the works off Escher with the repeated rectangular forms offset and the motif of staircases disobeying logic.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Thanks very much for remarking upon that, Asher.
I liked how the flash of the silver-topped box at the bottom of the image grabs your attention towards the start of those lead-in lines...

Asher Kelman

Thanks very much for remarking upon that, Asher.
I liked how the flash of the silver-topped box at the bottom of the image grabs your attention towards the start of those lead-in lines...

Paul,

For me, the steps in the upper right junction of 3rds from the center always catches my eye each time I look at the picture. Maybe it's so powerful as there's no detail in the center as contrasty and attention getting as the white outlined steps, a safety feature, I guess!

RICOH GR

Add to that the vertical white framing above and a line of stuccato white features to either side, that seems to be the center of the universe! Now to have the picture last, you have that silver lead in. One can explore this image in so many ways that I doubt the observer would run out of admiration!

Asher

Asher Kelman

RICOH GR

Amazing about the power of suggestion, Paul! You told us that the entrance point is at the triangel. Now whenever I look at this picture, the geometrics of that white bar is the second thing I see. The first is your silver entrance below! :)

Asher

Paul Abbott

I think i've found some more analogy with the lines and shapes in this, eh Asher...? There are zigzags everywhere, even with the edges of those steps, and lots to look at and explore, shape and line-wise. Shape and form have always been a great interest to me...

Cheers, Asher...

Asher Kelman

I think i've found some more analogy with the lines and shapes in this, eh Asher...? There are zigzags everywhere, even with the edges of those steps, and lots to look at and explore, shape and line-wise. Shape and form have always been a great interest to me...

Cheers, Asher...

Well, Paul, you're a natural Escher! A great compliment to Escher!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, i'm humbled by your last compliment...
It would be nice to get feedback from others...even if they disliked the image. A second opinion maybe...? :D

James Lemon

Great geometry and perspective I love the strong diagonal lines in this. I do find the verticals at the top leading me out of the image. My only suggestion would be to shave some off, just above the catwalk and the stairs leading back down would keep the viewer in the image longer.
Just my thoughts.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Paul,

RICOH GR

Very nice image. It takes such great advantage of the geometrical elements. Perhaps engineers have accidentally committed art. (It is probably too late to acquire a disclaimer.)

Nicely participating in that are the dark plates covering the trenches where the gate operating struts (and probably, for the narrower ones, position-sensing struts as well) run, as well as the light-colored cabinets probably housing (at least part of) the operating mechanism.

Best regards,

Doug

Paul Abbott

Hey James, yeah, I take on-board what your saying and appreciate your thoughts...When I scroll the image down I can see your point of view. Maybe to leave just a sliver or shard of the building on show and yet another angle...:)

Doug, these engineers have given me a great opportunity to create a photograph and organize all these elements into a pleasing composition I guess...:) Thanks for looking and commenting, I appreciate it.
Your so right about those silver boxes, they house electrical components for the lock...

Fahim, thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.

Asher Kelman

Hi, Paul,

Very nice image. It takes such great advantage of the geometrical elements. Perhaps engineers have accidentally committed art. (It is probably too late to acquire a disclaimer.)

Nicely participating in that are the dark plates covering the trenches where the gate operating struts (and probably, for the narrower ones, position-sensing struts as well) run, as well as the light-colored cabinets probably housing (at least part of) the operating mechanism.

Doug,

They may have created art on purpose! It just needed to be recognized! The Eiffel Tower was created for all sorts of reasons, but not, I think as "a work of art", in the sense of a sculpture. Doubtless, today, it must rank as one of the worlds largest acclaimed sculptures!

Asher