• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Inspired by Bob Rogers

Chris Calohan

Form, Color, Texture...but, to some degree isn't this what we all strive to achieve? I like the piece(s) he submitted for that triptych but I am not sure I understand the titling without those words as a part of the color space beneath each image, much like Antonio does with his portraits.

9084493095_eee4ae5e1d_o.jpg

Re: Bob Rogers - Form, Color, Texture: Chris Calohan​

Hi Chris,

I prefer images where the 'form' part is more clearly defined than in your image. The background texture is somewhat distracting, using a wider aperture would have helped to separate the foreground from the background better, despite the rain. Doing this after the shot is possible, but takes a lot more time for masking and blurring.

Cheers,
Bart

Chris Calohan

What you are seeing is rain moving toward me, and dare I say at a rather rapid pace. I barely had time to make this exposure and literally had to lay down atop my camera and wiggle the camera's raincoat on so I could get off that hill. Lot's of lightning accompanied the storm...which all of this discourse comes to making an excuse for the exposure. It's not worth that much effort in masking to redo the BG rain, but it's still a pretty neat shot.

The question though, still remains" How does Bob's triptych make any more sense than most any other photo which almost has to include these three elements to have any chance at success? I understand his creativity, and understand why he chose to go with three images...but I am not sure I understand why he didn't choose to put all three elements into one image.

Bob Rogers

It is humbling to inspire someone to do something.

I keep wanting to see the base of the plants in this photo.

I'm still mulling over the critique on mine, planning on further revisions in a bit.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The question though, still remains" How does Bob's triptych make any more sense than most any other photo which almost has to include these three elements to have any chance at success? I understand his creativity, and understand why he chose to go with three images...but I am not sure I understand why he didn't choose to put all three elements into one image.

Chris,

Compositions only make sense of they work. The ideas in Bob's triptych or fresh. Repeating the motif of the leaf arrangement in color B&W and different texture can potentially work. One can also have everything in one picture or only one of the three.

But then there's much more, for example when the forms evoke connections to cultural or natural iconic symbols or mythology or else colors elect emotive experience. The possibilities beyond color, form and texture are endless.

You already have so much more on your esthetic menu: trees, rain, lack of machines and the list could go on.

I would agree that completing the form of the proximal vegetation to the ground would provide powerful anchors to the composition and more softness behind would add to the distinctions, if that fits in with your vision.

Maybe explain your ideas a little more if our responses are of track.

Asher

Martin Stephens

Good wallpaper pattern but not enough photographically compelling content to hold my interest. I have to get to a 3-count at least before I consider a photograph compelling. I need a tiny amount of intellectual stimulus, or comedy, or mystery.