• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

lens recomemdation

Could someone recommend a decent macro lens for a Nikon d7000?

Hi Keith,

Welcome to OPF.

I'm not familiar with the Nikon lenses enough to advise, but what kind of magnification factor are you looking for and how frequent are you going to use the lens? Perhaps it should double as a normal lens as well?

Maybe, for moderate magnification and occasional work, a close up lens mounted on the filter threads may do well enough, or even an older lens mounted in reverse by using a reversal ring (dual male filter threads) with a step-up or -down ring if required.

Extention tubes can also help with existing lenses to reduce the minimum focus distance, but optical quality may be lacking because the lens was not designed/corrected for such close focusing.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Keith,
I shoot Canon, but my son has a Nikon (not your model, a D300) but has a macro lens that can be used as a dedicated macro and a normal lens. It's a Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro-NIKKOR (Nikon calls it a MICRO, but that's what they call their MACRO lenses) It's a Prime.
I love that lens, I'm always borrowing his camera to play because I love it that much.

For shooting Macro, the lens does 1:1. You can use auto-focus, but for macro, I like to use manual focus and the ring slides nicely and very smoothly.

You can also use it as a longer distance portrait lens.

Of course, there may be other options out there but this is the only one, I can say that I've used.

Hope this helps. I'm sure other Nikon users may give you other options
:)
Maggie

Michael Nagel

Keith,

Welcome here!

Before I start with some indications there are a few questions:
What is your exact application or at least what are the subjects for macro photography you are aiming at?
Do you already have some experience in macro photography or do you want to start with it?
What is the budget you intend to spend?

An inexpensive start would be the Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2,8 Di MACRO 1:1
The Sigma MAKRO 70mm F2,8 EX DG has a quite impressive image quality.
The Nikon lens Maggie suggests is indeed a very good lens.

Best regards,
Michael

Keith Thompson

Michael:

I shot macro back day with 35mm. I haven't shot much period for some years now and want to update. I used a straight 50 mm macro with an extension tube back then to get up and close.

Budget- I would like to go cheap but I keep coming back to the Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8 which isn't so cheap.

My immediate need is that I need to photograph some very small reptiles. But I'd like to be able to do anything I want with it afterwards.

The NIkon lens is 1:1. What do I need to get even closer like I used to be able to do with my old setup and not loose all the functions of the lens? I'm a bit confused about extension tubes and teleconverters?

Michael Nagel

Keith,

Budget- I would like to go cheap but I keep coming back to the Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8 which isn't so cheap.
You are used to the FoV of a 50mm lens on a 36x24mm negative plus the changes inflicted by the extension tubes.
The 105/2.8 will give you a FoV of a approx. 150mm lens on your old camera.
My immediate need is that I need to photograph some very small reptiles. But I'd like to be able to do anything I want with it afterwards.
Do you photograph living reptiles? What is the flight distance you are dealing with?
The NIkon lens is 1:1. What do I need to get even closer like I used to be able to do with my old setup and not loose all the functions of the lens? I'm a bit confused about extension tubes and teleconverters?
Alle lenses I listed are 1:1 I you nees larger magnifications, you need extension tubes or special lenses (budget!).
The Tamron lens is also a good portrait lens.

If you want to experiment a little, you could try a macro converter and see what focal length will suit your application.

My subjects do not include reptiles, but Insects and flowers.

I know - a difficult decision. I have two different macro lenses on two systems (APS-C DSLR and µFT) both having approximately the same FoV - 90mm for APS-C (like your D7000) and 60mm for µFT.

Best regards,
Michael