• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: BMW Welt

Michael Nagel

Some time ago (actually more than one year) I mentioned that I might post some views of BMW Welt. It took a while to remember, but here they are. Taking these pictures was fun - and that's what it should be.

Starting with the round end:

Different view:

Side view:

Closer:

Other side:

I will add more - later.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Michael,

This wonderful architecture photography is so appreciated! I'd have thought, in ignorance, that Frank Gehry had designed this space, but actually it's even more biting and adventuresome and that's no overstatement.

I looked up the designers, Coop Himmelblau.

"We want architecture that has more to offer. Architecture that bleeds, exhausts, that turns and even breaks, as far as I am concerned. Architecture that glows, that stabs, that tears and rips when stretched. Architecture must be precipitous, fiery, smooth, hard, angular, brutal, round, tender, colourful, obscene, randy, dreamy, en-nearing, distancing, wet, dry and heart-stopping. Dead or alive. If it is cold, then cold as a block of ice. If it is hot, then as hot as a tongue of flame. Architecture must burn!"

This major BMW center is now a place I want to visit. It's like one of the world wonders to be experienced like an elixir and stimulant to not take things for granted or allow life to take us for granted either!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Bart,

Thanks. I will expand this a little.
There was a time when I was there quite often and there might be I time when I return there for pictures again.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher - thanks, yes, the works of Coop Himmelblau are amazing.

Michael,

I believe they have an office in Los Angeles. I'll visit them! However, their designs are likely very expensive with al the bold projections. It would be great if they could build for the individual and not just very wealthy clients. Perhaps they can!

These show extraordinary bite!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Wow, do I see so much in 'Nordseite', they're are abstract details within that shot that need to be seen and photographed...
I do very much like 'Flachen' and 'Nordseite', this building's heavy angular contours work so well in this 1:1 format.

Michael Nagel

Antonio - thanks and sorry for noticing your comment this late.

Winston - thank you, here is more.

Repost:

The lensflares here are intentional - I actually tried to produce as many as possible (silly idea, but so what ;) )

The terrace belongs to a restaurant in this building.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

................... interior of the round part called 'Doppelhelix'.

Michael,

I'm so impressed with the geometry made into form that's so appealing. Is it within the reach of more ordinary mortals like us?

I do wonder whether there were in the planning and execution the great economies of the thinking of way back when the Bauhaus movement flourished? It seems that industrial methods are still being used for public spaces, but likely on a scale of expense that is more akin to the style of Versailles opulence, just with modern motifs and materials.

Or is it possible that the architects have found economical ways of manufacturer and repeat parts use, so that all those individual triangles are of just a few classes. So is this a way of building just for the excessively wealthy, or could one apply this methodology and style for say small city halls or even apartment buildings?

I goes one way of looking at it would be the total area of usable space and then the price of the project. We estimate here as $ price per sq foot. I guess in Germany it would be DM or Euro/meter sq.

Your pictures have me so beguiled! I'd loves to learn more. I think I'm going to look up the Los Angleles office of the architectural company. I discovered that Coop-Himmelblau designed a new and important high school for the arts in central Los Angleles around 2008, discussed here. I think I might have photographed it, but I'll have to check!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Chris,

Thank you.

Here is an overview of the buildings. To the left you see BMW Welt, to the right the Headquarters and the museum to the left of the latter. The Munich factory is behind.

Headquarter and museumt:

Michael,

This building is most remarkable for it's "ordinary modernity" in the main building capped by an architectural complex that's most aggressively pushing autistic envelopes. The top, with its massive stainless steel forms projecting up from the roof moves the building to a new level of esthetic challenge of form and mechanical utility. I imagine that the sculptural elements on the roof house important services such as air conditioning and perhaps the tops of elevator shafts, plumbing freeways and even electoral power management. Do we have any idea about that design process. Did the architects plan first or the other way round?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Do we have any idea about that design process. Did the architects plan first or the other way round?
Hi Asher,

I cannot tell anything about the the design process, but at least that the infrastructure and the elevators are located in the central support tower and the four apparent cylinders are actually suspended from the top. This led to an interesting construction process - each floor was assembled on the ground and lifted. The four cylinders were constructed top to bottom.

Further reading:
Skyscraperpage entry
Archinform entry about the building
Archinform entry about the Architect

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

Michael, it is indeed a magical place..for its architecture and its contents :)

And you have brought us some stunning images of the building's design.

Thank you.