• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rooms with a View

Chris Calohan

9588909881_9c1c2c729c_c.jpg

Rooms with a View: Chris Calohan​

Michael Nagel

Chris,

This one leaves me with mixed impressions.

You play with the repetitions of the balconies, the chairs placed in the upwards line of sight underline the repetitive aspect. Yet - there is no hint on the extent of these repetitions.

The title 'Rooms with a View' suggests something, but somehow I miss the connection to the rooms (balconies are the subject here) and the perspective does not help to imagine the view. The bit of the balcony on top of the photo adds an oppressive aspect to the impressions I have. Was this intended?

The tonalities are OK, if the oppressive aspect was intended, I would have darkened the clouds a little.

This is my totally subjective view.

Best regards,
Michael

Jerome Marot

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

(Not to criticize you, Michael. Just to show that we can hold different opinions.)

Chris Calohan

Chris,

This one leaves me with mixed impressions.

You play with the repetitions of the balconies, the chairs placed in the upwards line of sight underline the repetitive aspect. Yet - there is no hint on the extent of these repetitions.

The title 'Rooms with a View' suggests something, but somehow I miss the connection to the rooms (balconies are the subject here) and the perspective does not help to imagine the view. The bit of the balcony on top of the photo adds an oppressive aspect to the impressions I have. Was this intended?

The tonalities are OK, if the oppressive aspect was intended, I would have darkened the clouds a little.

This is my totally subjective view.

Best regards,
Michael

I don't see anything oppressive about this image at all. As to the rooms, well, why would there be balconies attached to blank walls. It is as intended to be an implied that such rooms exist much like a RR sign implies there is the possibility of a train.

What I saw was a nice repetition of shapes, line and forms. That the chairs were facing outward suggested to me, there was a view out beyond their immediate scope, hence the title.

I worked quite hard to develop and hold the tonal values both in the highlights and shadows, each providing an adequate anchoring point for the next balcony. We do see things differently and while there is a degree of loneliness to the empty chairs, there is also hope.