• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Facades

Cem_Usakligil

Some facades from Amsterdam....

i10084.jpg

i10414.jpg

i09922.jpg

i09837.jpg

i10079.jpg

Chris Calohan

Love the 4th one as there are lots of modes of transportation but more because the two rears are facing one another - car and the woman's derriere.

Oh-oh, just noticed the boats are rear to rear also...nice catch!

Hi Cem,

Great series. The third one is my favorite, superb timing, cat and man striding in the same direction and pace. The first one is really disorienting, as if the center building is collapsing.

The connecting element, besides the facades theme, are the recurring bikes in every image. Of course it's hard to exclude them in Amsterdam ...

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Many photographers show images of wonderful facades, perfect architecture or run-down neglected industrial areas or the streets of the neglected. Here you've gone for none of these easier choices.

This is about the most complex series I've seen from you, Cem; a rather daring step into a non-perfect world.

i10084.jpg

i10414.jpg

i09922.jpg

i09837.jpg

i10079.jpg

By using wide views of non perfect scenes, you have taken on a challenge of high order. These could be considered travel snaps, but they are far more, as each helps explain its neighbor.

In addition to all the points made, the series carries a fabric of structural formality wedded to disorder. This is the fight we make of our lives. We need the lamppost straight and functional but then we depend on the tree even more, with it's naturally stochastic behavior, like the cat, people, bicycles, graffiti and parts of buildings, that with their random untidiness, make the places home and human.

Be encouraged that this is fine work. I hope you continue your drive as you build on this collection. We will all learn a lot from you and enjoy the ride.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks Bart, Asher, Tom and Rachel.

Tom I'm glad to see you are still around and the same applies to Rachel of course. :)

Many photographers show images of wonderful facades, perfect architecture or run-down neglected industrial areas or the streets of the neglected. Here you've gone for none of these easier choices.

This is about the most complex series I've seen from you, Cem; a rather daring step into a non-perfect world.

By using wide views of non perfect scenes, you have taken on a challenge of high order. These could be considered travel snaps, but they are far more, as each helps explain its neighbor.

In addition to all the points made, the series carries a fabric of structural formality wedded to disorder. This is the fight we make of our lives. We need the lamppost straight and functional but then we depend on the tree even more, with it's naturally stochastic behavior, like the cat, people, bicycles, graffiti and parts of buildings, that with their random untidiness, make the places home and human.

Be encouraged that this is fine work. I hope you continue your drive as you build on this collection. We will all learn a lot from you and enjoy the ride.

Asher
Asher you are very kind as always, thank you. I haven't considered this series in those terms of complexity as you've described but I'm near sighted when it comes to my own work. The collection is already quite extensive as I've been taking these pictures for some years now and in many different cities. Perhaps it is about time for me to start curating it. :)

Still kicking around, Cem. Still lugging the old camera around, too. I'd post here more often but since I'm now retired from corporate life, I've been very busy chasing the neighbor's kids off my lawn.

Best wishes on your search for the joy, Rachael. Photography is a wonderful way to exercise a little creativity, and is also a great way to get outside and work off the morning bagel.

Cem_Usakligil

Did you use a tilt and shift lens to correct the perspective on these pictures?
I wish I still had a tilt shift lens Jerome. These are all perspective corrected in the post processing I'm afraid. Mind you, I still tried to keep the camera as vertically level as possible (and then crop the foreground) but it wasn't always possible due to the limited room to step backwards. There were canals just behind me, lol.

Robert Watcher

Some facades from Amsterdam....

i10084.jpg

i10414.jpg

Are the buildings really this distorted Cem? It does not look right to me. The strange distortions of Windows and floors looks like warp adjustments in Photoshop. If the horizontal lines were crooked - it would just be kind of unique - but with the windows doing all kinds of strange things - - - I find them a little difficult to look at - - - - unless indeed that is exactly how the buildings are built.

Cem_Usakligil

The buildings are this crooked indeed Rob. They are centuries old and the changes happened gradually. I suspect that they had to refit the windows every few decades. I'll show some more examples.

i09682.jpg

i09796.jpg

i09832.jpg

i09884.jpg

i09976.jpg

Robert Watcher

Wow - that is crazy. Almost an optical illusion. It's hard to me to get my head around :). Thanks for clarifying.

I just did a Google search " facades from Amsterdam" and there were many images of the strangely formed buildings. It would be a cool place to shoot.

Cem_Usakligil

Cem, an excellent series you are collecting here. I would love to live by a canal!!

Regards.
Thanks Fahim. Living by the canals in Amsterdam is quite an attractive proposition, also for me. One will have to take the good with the bad as usual. The traffic is very busy, parking is next to impossible, if you are on the ground floor you haven't got much privacy from passers by, etc.