• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The DxO "low-light ISO" metric

Doug Kerr

I have not paid much attention to the DxO Labs' recent DxOMark scheme of reporting on camera sensor performance, but I bumped into it when looking at potential cameras to acquire as our "main B camera".

One very interesting metric is their "low-light ISO metric" (which they characterize as pivotal for the context of sports and action photography).

Basically, the number reported is "the highest ISO [sensitivity] setting for a camera that allows it to achieve an SNR of 30dB while keeping a good dynamic range of 9 EVs and a color depth of 18bits."

The number reported is often one that is not an available ISO sensitivity setting for the camera, so clearly it is an interpolated value.

This is a very clever way to encapsulate in a single metric the overall interplay between ISO sensitivity and various "image quality" attributes.

By the way, for my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200, the value is 114 (pretty small!). This is a little on the low side of typical for cameras with its sensor size (7.7 mm).

For comparison, the value reported for the Canon Powershot G15 is 165; for the Canon Powershot G1X: 644; for the Canon Powershot SX50 HS: 179; for the Ricoh GR: 972; for the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II:483.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II

The three single performance metrics used by their reporting system are described here:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/About/Sensor-scores/Use-Case-Scores

Best regards,

Doug